Discovery Gaming Community
Ship usage in RP - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Rules & Requests (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Rules (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: Ship usage in RP (/showthread.php?tid=5933)

Pages: 1 2

Ship usage in RP - lionheart - 02-01-2008

Hi I just wanted to know exactly what a non faction ID is permitted to fly, they all seem to top out at Gunboat. But a few ship details say that they are between a Gunboat and a Cruiser, such as the Huntress Cruiser or the Talarca Light Cruiser. The Talarca states in its details that its below that of a cruiser. So is it allowed for say a generic military ID to use these intermediate ships. If not then is the Gunboat the maximum. In fact the Talarca's armour is not all that much more than a Bretonian gunboat, compared to the big capships.
Thanks.

Ship usage in RP - Panzer - 02-01-2008

All depends on the kind of weapons and shields a ship equips. If it equips a cruiser shield - it's a cruiser class (Battlecruisers too)

So best ya pick one nice, cosy, gunboat and start kicking a$$

A full setup of one such (lv 6 cap armor) is about 100-110 mil.

Ship usage in RP - Fellow Hoodlum - 02-01-2008

NO way ... A gunboat is a gunboat, and a cruiser is a cruiser. You will not be using anything outside the ID's
written parameters, or you will find your self in a little trouble mate.
Just read the rules and stick to them, stop trying to interpret them ...

Hoodlum

Ship usage in RP - Jwnantze - 02-02-2008

Hoodlem, calm down, he was asking a legitamate question as a newby, which is a whale of a lot better than buying one first and then you having to sanction him.

Genaric Ids are limited to GBs ONLY. If it says its a cruiser, its a cruiser.

Ship usage in RP - Juan_Arquero - 02-02-2008

Quote:6.20 For purposes of the server rules, the following ship classes are defined:

- all light fighters, heavy fighters, very heavy fighters, super heavy fighters, and bombers are considered fighters;
- trader ships with cargo hold less than 500 units are considered freighters;
- trader ships with cargo hold more than 500 units, including liners, are considered transports;
- gunboats, cruisers (including destroyers and battlecruisers), battleships (including dreadnoughts) are considered capital ships.
As you can see from the underscored, bold part of the Discovery Server Rules above, destroyers and battlecruisers are both considered cruisers.

Ship usage in RP - Virus - 02-03-2008

I think he's referring to the "Light Cruisers" such as the Talarca. Which is, as Hood already said, out of the question.

Ship usage in RP - pchwang - 02-03-2008

I'm all for unique and individualistic names, but sometimes, naming conventions do need to be clearer.

For instance, the "Gunship" and "Light Cruiser" or "Battlecruiser" can be somewhat confusing. Maybe we should add something in the info section of these ships that says their specific class.

Ship usage in RP - Willert - 02-03-2008

u need to be very stupid to not know what ship u can use( just read the ID)... as it is right now u cant make mistakes about what ships u can use, the only think u can misunderstand is with pirate ID's where it says cruiser and bs's limit, when i started i didnt get what it ment by that, i known i could use cruiser and bs by not that about limet.. u need to read the rules to get that..

Ship usage in RP - pchwang - 02-03-2008

Well, just because you can tell the difference does not mean that others can, ichigo. ;)

I still think that it would be helpful.

Ship usage in RP - Juan_Arquero - 02-03-2008

' Wrote:I'm all for unique and individualistic names, but sometimes, naming conventions do need to be clearer.

For instance, the "Gunship" and "Light Cruiser" or "Battlecruiser" can be somewhat confusing. Maybe we should add something in the info section of these ships that says their specific class.
Gunship = Light Gunboat. If you don't believe me, check the mod readme that says the BH Gunship is a "Bounty Hunter Light Gunboat" and the LH Gunship is a "Lane Hacker Light Gunboat." Light Cruiser and Battlecruiser both include the word CRUISER within them. Why is it so hard to figure out that they are CRUISERS? This is ridiculous. Are you going to claim that an LF (Light Fighter) isn't a real fighter? Give me a break. Players need to use a little common sense.

' Wrote:u need to be very stupid to not know what ship u can use( just read the ID)... as it is right now u cant make mistakes about what ships u can use, the only think u can misunderstand is with pirate ID's where it says cruiser and bs's limit, when i started i didnt get what it ment by that, i known i could use cruiser and bs by not that about limet.. u need to read the rules to get that..
If I recall correctly, you don't need to read the rules to understand why the pirate IDs say "cruiser (limited), battleship (limited)." If you look at the text above the list of allowed ship types, you'll see a list of allowed activities that limits piracy to gunboats or smaller. That is clearly the reason why cruisers and battleships are listed as limited.