Discovery Gaming Community
Unofficial Factions on Discovery Forums - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Rules & Requests (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Rules (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+---- Forum: Faction Rules (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=46)
+---- Thread: Unofficial Factions on Discovery Forums (/showthread.php?tid=61274)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

Unofficial Factions on Discovery Forums - Tomtomrawr - 06-11-2011

' Wrote:One possibility is that once a faction has applied for officialdom, it may have a pinned thread for recruiting here in the Unofficial Faction sub-forum.
I would support that move. It'd be fair - give them the best chance possible of becoming official.

Unofficial Factions on Discovery Forums - Echo 7-7 - 06-11-2011

I support the existing rules, since pretty much all official factions provide a higher-quality experience than their unofficial counterparts. Don't get me wrong, there are a few great unofficial factions out there, but they're few and far between.

Official factions deserve their perks since any time something happens which affects overall faction diplomacy, it's up to the leaders of the official faction to take care of it. Official faction leaders have a lot of responsibility on their shoulders to keep things in order.

All in all, ditto to Snak3's post. If you don't believe that's true, please demonstrate to me an instance where an Official Faction has been replaced by an unofficial faction due to incompetency of the Official Faction. Lack of activity doesn't count since that can be a factor outside of the control of players.

Edit: The only means of recruitment for unofficial factions I support is by something along the lines of "PM me" written in the faction's info thread - which should be in the clearly designated Unofficial Faction subforum. At most.

Unofficial Factions on Discovery Forums - Panzer - 06-11-2011

Might be strange to hear this from me, but I agree with daba dn what he said >.>

childish, stopgap, labor-intensive and still doesn't fix the underlaying issues.

Unofficial Factions on Discovery Forums - chopper - 06-11-2011

Remove the rule.
There's no reason to forbid people to attract new members if they are able to do so better then the official factions.
One faction per ID also doesn't help this cause.

It's absurd and needs to be removed. You are trying to give some advantage to the official factions, but all you are doing is destroying diversity.

Unofficial Factions on Discovery Forums - Blodo - 06-11-2011

I have to agree with the above... official factions already have huge boon with own subforum now. There is no longer any point to restrict recruitment for unofficial factions at all.

Unofficial Factions on Discovery Forums - Maskage - 06-11-2011

Im with the crowd saying the rule is silly.

And to be more clear, by silly I mean excessive and without sufficient reason, as well as illogical.

I think official factions should have their own special recruitment threads like they do now, but theres no need to deny others the ability to recruit on the forums altogether. It makes it very difficult to start a faction.

My suggestion:
Special threads for official factions
unofficial factions can recruit elsewhere on the forums

Unofficial Factions on Discovery Forums - Petitioner - 06-13-2011

' Wrote:This is a three-year-old policy.
Yes, in that it might be seen as sensible by three-year-olds.

' Wrote:I would support that move. It'd be fair - give them the best chance possible of becoming official.
I believe as it is, this post is considered recruiting, since I was told I couldn't do the same for the ICMG. Just providing you advance warning.

Unofficial Factions on Discovery Forums - Fletcher - 06-13-2011

Quick question, when it comes to unofficial factions not being allowed to recruit, is this an issue for those trying to emulate vanilla factions that have lost or are trying to gain official status?

Also, I don't see a problem in recruitment for any faction if its RP is up to scratch myself. But, I don't make policy.

Though, is it to stop unofficial factions from possibly taking recruits that could go to official factions with activity issues?

' Wrote:I'm sure people can come up with concrete reasons as to why it should be removed (e.g. it punishes organised players who may be good players) or kept (such as directing players towards factions that meet certain standards, as a means of inducting newer players, etc.)
The thread is full of nothing but.

' Wrote:I would assume that we want the good factions to be the official ones, and not official just because they happen to be or fill a convenient niche.
Some currently official faction are official for just that reason and for that reason only.

' Wrote:Understandably, as official factions are expected to reflect the lore (and direct it within reason) the one ID per faction rule may, in tandem with this, make it impossible to rejuvenate factions and IDs.
Many official factions don't reflect the lore as things presently stand.

' Wrote:However, that should not mean we can automatically discount the significant effort current official factions put into attaining and maintaining their current status (part of which is a large degree of communtiy and admin scrutiny)
We shouldn't get rid of people that are already official, they've obviously worked long and hard for the title. But denying others the ability to be such, when they can fill their role just as well if not significantly better, when the current official group would never have met the current requirements, is a logical fallacy with no legitimate way to rationalize it other than "we don't know what to do so we're just going to leave it at this." We understand that people are discussing what to do, but that's completely useless when no concrete progress is even being made.

' Wrote:What does being "official" mean? And why should official factions lose the perks that come with officialdom?
Being official means that the community takes you seriously, and that you get toys that other people don't, regardless of whether or not you deserve them and regardless of whether or not other people do. You're an admin, admins ought to know that.
Allowing folks that are unwilling or unable to fulfill an arbitrarily-set bunch of strict requirements the basic right of getting members for their group is not "giving a perk to the official guys." It's flat-out saying that the unofficials are just not wanted nor welcomed.