Discovery Gaming Community
Expand player limit - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Real Life Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=16)
+--- Thread: Expand player limit (/showthread.php?tid=61396)

Pages: 1 2

Expand player limit - KUBANA - 06-12-2011

Can you expand the population limit fo Disco server?.. for example to 300 players?
Is it possible?

Expand player limit - etiainen - 06-12-2011

Would cause server instability, methinks...

Expand player limit - Cawdor - 06-12-2011

would be easier to host a RUS server on another processor core with DB access.

Should make some room.

Expand player limit - KUBANA - 06-12-2011

' Wrote:Would cause server instability, methinks...
ofcourse it would .. but lets buy some improvements... LETS DONATE!!!:D

Expand player limit - jxie93 - 06-13-2011

It's not a problem with the server hardware. When Freelancer was originally developed multiple core processors didn't exist yet, so it doesn't support them.

If you want to donate, donate towards the price for Microsoft to release Freelancer's source code (which won't be cheap).

Expand player limit - Torch Rose - 06-13-2011

Isn't this discussed once every few months?

Expand player limit - Names - 06-13-2011

Indeed it is, its a popular request.

It wont happen unless either Microsoft releases the source codes or releases a patch that allows multiple processors to be used. Which means it will never happen.

Expand player limit - dodike - 06-13-2011

I've heard some rumours about Cannon working on the server-split.

Expand player limit - Alex. - 06-13-2011

I think the ironic side of this whole campaign for FL's source code is that we could've probably built our own server by now, instead of the dozens of threads about it and failed attempts to ask Microsoft to release it.

Expand player limit - Snoozzzer - 06-13-2011

' Wrote:Can you expand the population limit fo Disco server?.. for example to 300 players?
Is it possible?

[font=Comic Sans Ms]The consensus from community members who maintained disco over the years was that a CPU with a high enough clock frequency was not avaliable. Going from that, if you or anyone else know of a way to set up a stable, maintenance free, affordable method of overclocking a processor higher than say, 5 ghz, by all means share with the class

' Wrote:would be easier to host a RUS server on another processor core with DB access.

Should make some room.

[font=Comic Sans Ms]A PVP server with a shared database would be nice, yee

' Wrote:I've heard something about Cannon working on the server-split.

[font=Comic Sans Ms]There had been talk of that, but Cannon oh Cannon has not brought up the status on a split for a while now.

Is this even a problem though? Player counts have been severely reduced after the mining nerf, at least whenever I've logged

' Wrote:I think the ironic side of this whole campaign for FL's source code is that we could've probably built our own server by now, instead of the dozens of threads about it and failed attempts to ask Microsoft to release it.

[font=Comic Sans Ms]Cannon brought this up several months back, saying something along the lines that developing a new freelancer daemon would be more effective, however the roadblock to that was something about how Microsoft also owns the Freelancer storyline, and so we couldn't rip it off, stick the game in a new engine and play free of lawsuits.

If you want quotations for all of this, go find them yourself. Or go ask our deity incarnate.