Discovery Gaming Community
Official faction activity - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Rules & Requests (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Rules (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+---- Forum: Faction Rules (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=46)
+---- Thread: Official faction activity (/showthread.php?tid=61466)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

Official faction activity - Ingenious - 06-14-2011

[color=#660000]To whom it may concern: I would love it if you don't troll and hijack this post like you do in all the other non-RP topics on these forums. You know who you are.

Read the entire post. This is not for personal reasons. This is a proposal to benefit the server.

' Wrote:
' Wrote:I suggest that the standards be raised to a height that no faction currently maintains. They can maintain it. They just have to try. If the standard changes, it will be maintained, by one faction or another.
Or we may be one step closer to bringing the server to total fascism. What standards would you suggest? Please make a new thread for discussion of proposed changes.

Proposed criteria to keep official status
  • <strike>300 hours of play per month among faction members</strike> a number of play-hours proportional to influence
  • Host one organized event per month
  • Respond to forum roleplay communication in a timely manner
Please critique these suggestions. I don't think they're unreasonable. I will give my reasons below.

Mathematically speaking, the Discovery RP server is capable of delivering roughly 144,000 play-hours per month.
200 players * 24 hours per day * 30 days per month = 144,000.

Realistically, roughly half of this is used -- around 70,000 play-hours per month. I call for factions to rack up 300 hours of combined play per month. Why? If you're going to lay claim as an official faction to an NPC faction that possesses 10% of the power in the Sirius sector, ideally you would represent 10% of server activity. 7,000 hours. This is really not possible for any faction to achieve. I think 300 hours balances the practical considerations of a faction with the level of power that comes with it. 300 play-hours is only about 0.5% of server activity. Really, is that asking too much?

[color=#000000]In this way, faction power/rights and faction activity are directly correlated. If you cannot maintain the activity, you simply should not maintain the power or rights, either.

The logic behind requiring the hosting of one organized event per month also lies in such a reasonable correlation. Organized events are a concrete tie between forum relations and ingame roleplay. A faction that slacks in either of these departments will have a very hard time putting together an organized event. A faction that excels in both of these departments will have no trouble thinking of some sort of event, no matter how small. Nuclear mine giveaway?

Lastly: response to forum communication. This is crystal clear already. If you don't respond to tech requests and pertinent issues within a reasonable amount of time, why should you have any influence over them?

Official faction activity - Lyderies - 06-14-2011

Yes and no, 300 hours? that seems a bit high, what is it now?

' Wrote:Yes and no, 300 hours? that seems a bit high, what is it now?
It is 30 now. ~0.05% of server activity.

300 hours is 20 members playing regularly.

Official faction activity - Death.RunningVerminator - 06-14-2011

This is meant to be a place to have fun. Not a second job.

Official faction activity - Stygian - 06-14-2011

I just got up so I'm still a bit...blah. Anyways, the only way I could see a system like the one you proposed working is by forcing all indies into factions. There is no possible way for factions to maintain that level of activity with the low number of players in them. And forced factioning is something I do not want here. It works well in other places but the freedom to do what you want is what makes Disco unique.

Official faction activity - Daedric - 06-14-2011

This isn't a job. We have lives, real jobs, wives, husbands, children, etc etc.

We come here to have fun. Your suggested standards, as Ath pointed out, kill over 75% of the current factions. Funny thing is, there are very few unofficial factions clamoring at the gates to replace those factions. Thus tech requests and faction to faction interaction would dry up.

In effect your suggestion kills the server. I know you'll claim that people just need to pick it up. Guess what? People play here as a past time, not as work.

Your required event per month merely puts more strain on faction leaders, who are already under the strain of recruiting, dealing with faction to faction role play, planning faction role play, dealing with tech requests, playing the game themselves, and having a life.

Do try to remember this server has a very had cap of 200 players online at the same time. With the number of official factions we have, we'd have to have an event every day or two for all of them to meet this requirement. Which means admins would have to kick people off the server to allow people participating in the event to get on. They don't do that because it is wrong. There is also the fact that not everyone here lives in the same time zone.

Official faction activity - Zelot - 06-14-2011

' Wrote:This is meant to be a place to have fun. Not a second job.

Official faction activity - Garrett Jax - 06-14-2011

Absolutely not.

The turn around for official factions losing their officialdom would be incredibly high.

RP would be virtually impossible to do between factions, because a new one would step in and you'd have to renegotiate terms.

It would be impossible to keep track of who the leaders of each faction were, because of said turn around.

Admins would be up their eyeballs in player vs player, faction vs faction conflict.

The pressure to maintain that 300 hours per month requirement would be so intense, it would take all the fun out of playing the faction.

I could think of more reasons, those are just the ones that come to mind at the moment.

' Wrote:This is meant to be a place to have fun. Not a second job.
' Wrote:This isn't a job. We have lives, real jobs, wives, husbands, children, etc etc.
People play here as a past time, not as work.
Quote:zelot
Quote:Absolutely not.

Don't make it a job. Perhaps factions should put aside policies that alienate independents and try to attract them instead.

Someone pointed out in another thread that some factions don't alienate independents but have trouble with activity. Maybe military/house factions should have a higher server activity threshold than trading/mining/"minor" factions.

Official faction activity - Hexx - 06-14-2011

Not 300, but I agree.

Official factions recieve too much power over other players as it is. They even act as sort of mini-admins when it comes to technology permissions, yet the requirements are extremely relaxed.

Relaxed requirements shoud not = such power.