Discovery Gaming Community
flagships - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Discovery RP 24/7 General Discussions (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: flagships (/showthread.php?tid=6259)

Pages: 1 2

flagships - Jinx - 02-16-2008

just wondered ... ( i m sure that idea is anything but new - but then, ideas come and go all the time )

just browsed through the thread of the rheinland battleship and thought about the BD battleship "togo" again. - so.. the idea of flagships. - well, flagships are supposed to be the factions pride. they are the best cared for and supposedly strongest ships.

is it possible ( in terms of extra work : benefit for roleplay ratio ) to give official factions the option to buy a flagship like a system. ( or rather - instead of a guard system )

some factions have trouble finding a good guard system ( like LSF ) but buying a flagship for a faction that would operate in the "normal" systems would be much more fitting. ( and its not even hard to give it a custom skin for a faction - and when its about server resources - may aswell remove ( i know, i know... the bad R word ) a ship that no one likes *cough* marsflier to free up resourceses )

the result is - an extreme limitation of those special ships. ( i wouldn t give them better stats or equipment to be honest or maybe not much... a slight little boast would be in order - but in the end, even if its only the looks that are different would make the ship special ), they would be much more part of the roleplay than a distant and abandoned guard system.

of course a faction shouldn t have both - a system and a flagship:)- of course such a ship would mean to RP its existance much more than RPing the existance of a guard system.

flagships - ParanoidAndroid - 02-16-2008

It would surely make flagships much more unique and what's going after that at last the word FLAGSHIP would gain a seriuos meaning (imo not only new skin should be given but also equipment should be seriously improved just to make that difference) Couse how it is now almost everyone if really want to can afford for capship which for a faction migth be a flagship so for me such situation it's kinda out any ordinary. Of course clan shouldn't get it for nthin need to earn for this and get it after a special request.

Now there is a question: who would midify existitng skins? and is it worth of bothering admins team which is already very busy?

modifying the skin ( like applying the factions heraldic figure ) shouldn t be too hard. - but its a quesiton of how the server copes with the extra space that different versions take up.

when its about the power of those ships - i suggest only very very slight upgrades. ( like 1.000.000 more power on a battleship or 100.000 more armor. but not more turrets or turn speed or anything. <--- those figures look like very much, but 100k armor is like 1 supernova only 4 in terms of cap8 armor - and 1mio power is 1/7 more than the usual. )

and - a flagship should be an option of choice for those that do not have a guard system. - its mostly about the playstyle. - all in all, flagships should be granted and taken away like guard systems. they are faction property and not player property.

all in all, they could make some good roleplay. ( a flagship has not gotto be a battleship. liberty rogues for example would have a destroyer like their new york base, gaians could aswell have a captured gunship etc. ) no need to think as big as possible - just special.

its nothing to "replace" current capital ships or a reason to nerf them in favour of flagships. - so that suggestion is completely non-related to the current capship discussion, but rather a developers discussion and game balance option for factions.

flagships - Panzer - 02-16-2008

That could be done. Only that such ships should be sold on bases, where noone can land. Libe the lost B-star, planet Xerna, Wild bases and such.

Anyway, I think we should wait till all ship models, that could get "flagged" start looking suitable (Kudos towards your zoner Juggy, Jinx) Then - we might start thinking of specific versions, scaled up, upgraded stats and reskinned to look more "nasty"

flagships - Exile - 02-16-2008

Planet Xerna and wild bases you say? Not gonna work. Since the Keepers land there:)And those bases hold our own ships. Not much room for every factions flagship.

flagships - Epholl - 02-16-2008

I think these ships dont even need a place to be sold... They would only need an admin who would change the ship of the char via FLHook or something...

flagships - ParanoidAndroid - 02-16-2008

I have just missundertood you, i though u mean capital ships named by clan as their flagship. So if we are talking about static dockable bases which are just capships just like a LR one in NY i also think there is no need to make them available to buy, its just a matter of work in FLhook. But this answer should be given by admins who know best.

flagships - Niezck - 02-16-2008

I think this is a very good idea but i originaly thought you meant creating a new base with the ship model. For example, the Liberty Rogue Destroyer in New York could be boosted a little, sell one of our ships, have a bar and be re-named as the Graviton or something similar. =CR= could have a battlestar, SA could have a Liberty Dreadnought etc. To be honest i think that'd enhance RP more if we could have dockable flagships similar to bases, now i realise this causes all sorts of problems with the server and crashes and such like so maybe just scrap the flyable flagship alltogether and make them into bases.

~Grav

no no, not bases - actually what ephol said. - it doesn t need to be sold. - its like systems. - you app for one, and if you pass all the obstacles, the admin staff can for example "replace" a current battleship ( or starflier, wahtever you use as a flagship ) into this special version.

but its important that such a ship is basicly not much more powerful - maybe only slightly, but nothing balancebreaking. its more about setting an official and kicking faction apart from unofficial factions. - and since the guard systems are sometimes a problem ( like ontario ), it could be more suitable to have a ship instead.

but not a base ... it should be a real ship, pilotable and all.

for example:

if =LSF= couldn t agree on a guard system, they could aswell maybe apply for a flagship instead. so they would get the goliath replaced by a goliath version that would be a tiny bit more powerful, - but most of all, with a big =LSF= logo on its hull.

then its not like anyone elses liberty carrier, but its unmistakenly the =LSF=?s.

in the end, its just about fun stuff. - and enemies could brag about taking down the flagship instead of yet another "stock carrier"

flagships - chopper - 02-16-2008

Yes, but in order for such ship to exist at all, it needs to be sold somewhere.
If you change the skin for existing battleship, all battleships of that class will have the skin changed, i think.

Idea is good, just don't know if it's doable.