Discovery Gaming Community
Idea: Search tags for factions - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Discovery RP 24/7 General Discussions (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: Idea: Search tags for factions (/showthread.php?tid=63505)

Idea: Search tags for factions - Fletcher - 07-21-2011

One thing has always irked me about the forums, and its the character search limit. A minimum of four characters is quite a pain in the backside when you want to search for information regarding a faction, or even their actual page, if any.

So I propose this, every faction main information thread, be it recruitment, their goals, their development or dumps. I request that there be keywords of some form for the forum search engine to pick up on and hopefully give better results.

e.g. Search:
LSF = Denied
Liberty Security Force = Yay, straightforward.

[BA] = Denied
Search tags = ...actually I don't know who they are, still curious.
or
Rheinland, unlawful = AGS, LWB, Red Hessians, Bundschuh, Unioners, Volksfront etc.

Point it, main factions have it easy since they're known, tags could make things easier for the lesser known factions trying to carve a mark without resorting to recruitment on the forums, that if memory serves, they can't. But I digress.

Would this sort of thing be welcomed, or would the search engine just spit out redundant threads?

Idea: Search tags for factions - AeternusDoleo - 07-21-2011

Reducing the search index to 3 or 2 character combinations would make the index excessively large, and most likely unusable. There's a technical limitation in play here Fletcher...

' Wrote:Reducing the search index to 3 or 2 character combinations would make the index excessively large, and most likely unusable. There's a technical limitation in play here Fletcher...
Hence the idea for search tags.:unsure:

Idea: Search tags for factions - Alex. - 07-21-2011

The forum already stores post information in it's database, obviously. I doubt it needs to keep a seperate table(s) for searching. Allowing us to search for any word that's 3 letters or longer would fix this.

' Wrote:Reducing the search index to 3 or 2 character combinations would make the index excessively large, and most likely unusable. There's a technical limitation in play here Fletcher...

As said by this post, three or two characters allowed could cause more problems.:unsure:

Idea: Search tags for factions - Avalanche - 07-21-2011

If this could be done, I'd love it so much. :ylove:

Idea: Search tags for factions - Daedric - 07-21-2011

I'm not exactly sure what you are proposing here. The minimum character limit is set to four characters for a reason. Search tags?

I know on other forums where I've either written a guide or used another's guide I've seen them. Only on the ones that are really long. For instance.

Quote:Section 1 - Intro [alpha]

BLAH BLAH BLAH for ever

Section 2 - This that and the other [bravo]

BLAH BLAH BLAH for ever

Section 3 - Look at my example [charlie]

BLAH BLAH BLAH for ever

Section 4 - It is amazing right? [delta]

If you want to jump down to Section 4? ctrl+f, type delta and hit enter. Done. That type of tag system can't work here as that was searching one file. You're talking about searching an entire forum. The tags would need to be extremely specific.

Now, I sometimes use a key word I can remember in a thread I know I will need to find later. I just do a search for that unique word and grab the thread.

I modified a post of mine, and added a search tag to it. If you do a forum search for nathancrom, it should bring you to my Character Bio thread, specifically the post for Nathan Crom.

You talking about something like that?

I mean tags that you can punch into the search to give you a page you want, though those hot words can be used too.

Idea: Search tags for factions - Ingenious - 07-21-2011

Just search like this:
Code:
LSF faction

Don't believe me?:)

Idea: Search tags for factions - AeternusDoleo - 07-21-2011

Alternately, people could just look here: http://discoverygc.com/wiki/index.php/Player_Factions

And if your faction ain't there, list it and put some basic information up.