Discovery Gaming Community
why we don't have jumpdrives from the beginning? - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Discovery RP 24/7 General Discussions (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: why we don't have jumpdrives from the beginning? (/showthread.php?tid=65027)

Pages: 1 2

why we don't have jumpdrives from the beginning? - Jaika - 08-19-2011

-So, how did the sleeper ships came here?

-They came here with their jump drives

-Yup you're right, they used the sleeper ships jump drives.

What's happened whit those? When they arrived those engines just went "poof"?
I'm sure they got some blue prints from Earth to build new ships and other tech, but no jump drive blue prints?
I know this whole thing maybe sounds a bit stupid but it wonders me a few days ago now, and i want to know what others think about it.

why we don't have jumpdrives from the beginning? - Tachyon - 08-19-2011

It wasn't in the original FL, people forgot about it or thought it would make things more easier ( trade abuse ) .

It gets added, enough for me.

why we don't have jumpdrives from the beginning? - Domjan - 08-19-2011

' Wrote:-So, how did the sleeper ships came here?

-They came here with their jump drives

-Yup you're right, they used the sleeper ships jump drives.

What's happened whit those? When they arrived those engines just went "poof"?
I'm sure they got some blue prints from Earth to build new ships and other tech, but no jump drive blue prints?
I know this whole thing maybe sounds a bit stupid but it wonders me a few days ago now, and i want to know what others think about it.

It's just one of those excuses in game so the story can progress.

' Wrote:It's just one of those excuses in game so the story can progress.

much, very much win here

why we don't have jumpdrives from the beginning? - NixOlympica - 08-19-2011

The technology pretty much stagnated or degradated since the time.

why we don't have jumpdrives from the beginning? - Dab - 08-19-2011

DA and microsoft cut the funding to Freelancer's development. That is the reason jumpdrives weren't entered into the game. They had been working on it before the cuts though. We even have warp disruptor buoys inter game's files. The dev team hasn't added them until now because we didn't have the elaborate FLHook support needed to make it work.

why we don't have jumpdrives from the beginning? - Domjan - 08-19-2011

' Wrote:DA and microsoft cut the funding to Freelancer's development. That is the reason jumpdrives weren't entered into the game. They had been working on it before the cuts though. We even have warp disruptor buoys inter game's files. The dev team hasn't added them until now because we didn't have the elaborate FLHook support needed to make it work.

Is there a link to any of your claims?
I'd like to read up on it.

Ahh, yes, the funding-cut, many systems, bases, ships and cool stuff got deleted.
Good enough Discovery seems to be finishing,what couldn't be finished by the original developers. At this point: Thanks.

why we don't have jumpdrives from the beginning? - Klaw117 - 08-19-2011

The best possible way to describe the lack of jump drives is probably to say this: Jump drives require fuel. Jump gates don't. Having jump drives would make flights much more expensive and trade less lucrative due to the need for additional fuel. Having jump gates makes things more efficient since all that extra space that would be needed for fuel can now be converted into cargo space, making trade more profitable. The extra efficiency of jump gates probably led to jump drives becoming obsolete.

why we don't have jumpdrives from the beginning? - dodike - 08-20-2011

Freelancer and Disco never made sense. Thank you for asking though.