Discovery Gaming Community
Vista and Freelancer - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: Vista and Freelancer (/showthread.php?tid=6547)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Vista and Freelancer - Britonix - 02-28-2008

Hi everyone,

A few monthes ago, I got a new computer... with Vista on it. Then I discovered that I would have to uninstall Norton to play Discovery online (I just can't do it, since it's a laptop and I'm travelling a lot with it)... So I guess I lost my Zoner's Juggernault, but I don't really care because the RP with it wasn't so good, changing my character will help me to get a brand new fun RP.

That was two monthes ago, so I would like to know if anyone found a way to play Disco on Vista. I also read that Vista's SP1 was coming; any hope there? Do you think it could fix the problem?

I'm waiting for you answers, I want to play Disco so much, I'm reading the forum everyday even if I can't play and there are so many roleplay ideas I would like to try!

Thanks in advance
Britonix

Vista and Freelancer - Nelzie - 02-28-2008

"Upgrade" to Windows XP.

You could also see if Vista has that "Run As" feature, which allows you to take a shortcut and run the program as if the OS is an older version of Windows.

Vista and Freelancer - Unseelie - 02-28-2008

Vista, yes, Norton, no.
You're going to have to switch, sadly.

Also, a lot of things need to be run as an administrator for them to work on vista.

' Wrote:"Upgrade" to Windows XP.

You could also see if Vista has that "Run As" feature, which allows you to take a shortcut and run the program as if the OS is an older version of Windows.

Well... I'm not able to find this command to run freelancer with =EOA= Players Consortium (is global server still down?).

' Wrote:Vista, yes, Norton, no.
You're going to have to switch, sadly.

Also, a lot of things need to be run as an administrator for them to work on vista.

But is there any hope for Vista's SP1 to fix it?

Vista and Freelancer - Unseelie - 02-28-2008

Uh....
Nothing's broken, and besides, M$ doesn't support FL anymore
I play FL from vista fine.
Its your Norton, not your Vista.

Vista and Freelancer - Dopamino - 02-28-2008

The best thing to do would be to switch to Kaspersky. I had Norton for a while, and it completely ruined my computer.

Vista and Freelancer - S2000Gan - 02-28-2008

I'm running FL on Vista (though I'd really like to go back to XP)
I hear the biggest issues are that you need to run it as an admin, and not have norton.

I'm the admin of my computer, and I don't have norton.
Works just fine.

Vista and Freelancer - Vape - 02-28-2008

my advice: ditch norton anyway, it sucks, use something like avg or zonealarm, or webroot spysweeper (all three excellent programs that i would recommend)

Vista and Freelancer - Guest - 02-28-2008

FL and Vista works fine here.
I had problems with Account Manager, fixed after installing SP1 RC1 version.

Vista SP1 Release Candidate 1 is downloadable by the Microsoft download section.

Some of the most intresting fixes for Win Vista to games related issues (fix to virtual memory use most of all) are under "Windows Genuine Advantage" check, hard to download it using a pirated system. If that is the case, this can also be included in the list of the possible causes.
LoTeK_

I have a laptop and I'm travelling a lot with it so I need an appropriate protection. Kaspersky looks good but is it good for me?

Edit: I checked, it seems to be pretty good, a little more expensive than Norton but way better.