Discovery Gaming Community
Skinning - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: Skinning (/showthread.php?tid=65908)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Skinning - Doc Holliday - 09-05-2011

I've brough this up before and wanted to do so again. Considering the different groups we have in Disco, even within the same ID's (multiple factions of Sairs, Zoners, Outcasts, etc), each is unique in it's own way.
I would like to propose skinning, with each faction designing a ship skin for each ship it has for it's group. True, it needs to be available for all factions for it to be visible during play but we could make it part of an overall mod. It'll give some individuality amongst factions and be kinda kool.

-They each load automatically via update so that the skin can be seen by all during encounters.
-The skin can only be given by faction leadership to it's members for use or:
-It's available for sale as equipment on a faction's home base.
-Non-members using another groups skin could be sanctionable if not used with permission and an SRP.

These are just some ideas. I just remember back when I played Starsiege the amount of skins I could use on tank or HERC. It was awesome and gave some variety.

Thoughts? Opinions? Ideas?

Skinning - CHUNKINATOR - 09-05-2011

Sounds Cool, I like it.

Skinning - Toaster - 09-05-2011

[Image: Sealofapproval.jpg]

Skinning - William Frederick Cody - 09-05-2011

Yes, a new design for my yacht would be nice.

Skinning - Tachyon - 09-05-2011

yupyup. I approve.

Skinning - Error - 09-05-2011

' Wrote:I've brough this up before and wanted to do so again. Considering the different groups we have in Disco, even within the same ID's (multiple factions of Sairs, Zoners, Outcasts, etc), each is unique in it's own way.
I would like to propose skinning, with each faction designing a ship skin for each ship it has for it's group. True, it needs to be available for all factions for it to be visible during play but we could make it part of an overall mod. It'll give some individuality amongst factions and be kinda kool.

-They each load automatically via update so that the skin can be seen by all during encounters.
-The skin can only be given by faction leadership to it's members for use or:
-It's available for sale as equipment on a faction's home base.
-Non-members using another groups skin could be sanctionable if not used with permission and an SRP.

These are just some ideas. I just remember back when I played Starsiege the amount of skins I could use on tank or HERC. It was awesome and gave some variety.

Thoughts? Opinions? Ideas?
That'd be awesome. Perhaps a reskin + possibly a minor (cosmetic) modification to one of the factions most used ships?

...For example a stealth Liberator with an extra antenna or something for LPI recon missions/patrols.

Yes. Could bring some income to willing texturers/modellers that want to do the actual modifications on request for a good amount of cash, too.

Skinning - Etaphreven - 09-05-2011

Personal skins would be more awesome though. It'd open up an awesome forum business too, as skins makers would tax a lot for a skin. Of course, they'd have to follow some RP related rules and guidelines (no ridiculous designs that don't make sense). I'm just saying I'd like some rust and such on my ships.

Skinning - r3vange - 09-05-2011

[color=#FFFFFF]It is indeed cool, but considering how FL's engine handles complex textures I don't dare imagining the end result.

But that would mean a difference between say the Outcast sabre and any other sabre so ye. But I suppose it will be a nightmare to make

Skinning - Kuze - 09-05-2011

Retexturing a ship or even adding light maps is not that hard if there are for example 1 texture/ship - then it is just a matter of Photoshop fun:D, if there are - and there are in disco - many vanilla textures then it is a little bit difficult if you wanna add some faction specific stuff to the textures...if not, just only recolor them, the it is also just a matter of Photoshop fun :-D

I am used to retexture and add light maps to my ships on NSU, but there it is different - I could do it also here with my ships but with such a high player count and low ship numbers it will be stupid to see the same texture on every same ship...anyway maybe I know it wrong but, for example:

-you have a vanilla Sabre model with its textures
-and if you want to have a retextured one, then you need to duplicate the Sabre model and assign the different textures, so it means bigger mod in megabites.

Skinning - Grimly - 09-06-2011

I do personally disapprove.

Black.Sails are corsairs. We use the corsair technology because we are proud of it. We use the corsair colors because we are proud of it.

If you want it, make the Raba have twice its cargo capacity and you'll find us happy. It has the fight abilities of a Pirate Transport without its capacity to hold the whole loot of a full transport kill.