Discovery Gaming Community
A suggestion - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Rules & Requests (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Rules (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: A suggestion (/showthread.php?tid=66400)

Pages: 1 2

A suggestion - Mickk - 09-18-2011

I thought of something that might make people think twice about breaking the rules.

We have the rules in an easy to find place, there is a link to them on the portal for the forum.

What we don't have is what the penalties are for breaking those rules.

Those of us who read the sanction thread, know for instance that it will cost you far more if F1 out to get away from a pirate, than a pirate is ever going to ask for instance.

How about a list of 'Fines Applied' somewhere int he rules area?

Ignore this if it has already been done, it's been a while since I visited the rules.

Opinions?

A suggestion - Champ - 09-18-2011

I'm a little unsure whether you mean this will be a locked in penalty system, a general guide for Admins, or a general indication for Players. I'm assuming the first two. Sort of.

Let me start with this: a rulebreaker is someone who has broken the rules, with or without the intent to.

A) A rulebreaker never read the rules. (A tad lazy)

B) A rulebreaker read, but didn't fully understand or remember all of the rules. (New Member or New Rules)

C) A rulebreaker read and understood the rules, but chose to disobey them. (Hmm.)

D) A rulebreaker knew the rules, was in a situation where they overlooked something, and following the issue did everything possible to rectify the situation. (Best case scenario)

Your suggestion applies to B, C & D of course. If people don't read the rules, they don't know the fines.
In the case of B, a rulebreaker would have understood the importance of the rules because of the gravity of the consequences. That being said, a new member probably doesn't know how much it takes to get guns, or certain amounts of money.

In the case of C, people who intentionally break the rules for their own sake will continue to do so and know whether they can 'afford to' or not. Eventually, we may very well end up with people earning money just so they have a 'cushion' in case they fly off the handle at someone.

In the case of D, people will know what's coming for them, but despite their attempts to fix the problem will cop it as if they'd done nothing afterwards anyway - which may ultimately lead to people being uncaring about having broken a rule (even though they didn't intend to) because it's guaranteed they'll get what they get.

Additionally, the severity of different situations will vary, and this isn't always dependent on the rules. Repeat offenses will either not gradually increase, OR you'll have to have lists for the number of times a rule is violated.
Penalties should be at Admin discretion depending on how big a mess the rulebreaker has made, and how many times.

However what I think is the most important part of my counter - breaking rules should not be discouraged individually by the penalty. Rule breaking should be discouraged on the merit that they are rules, meant to be followed to benefit the community. Less of the stick, more of the carrot. If rules are followed, then everyone benefits.
I think a guide as to a rough approximation of average fines might be helpful or appropriate, but again, the descision is really up to each Admin to reward penalties as they see fit, and it's not about what you'll get if you do break the rules, you shouldn't be breaking them at all.

TL;DR: Rules should be followed because they are rules, not for their penalty.

Sorry if that came off a little harsh; I've been writing a lot of papers recently :wacko: I think your suggestion was an original and good contribution :D

A suggestion - BaconSoda - 09-18-2011

Yeah, I agree with what is said above. It doesn't matter what the penalty for breaking a rule is. You shouldn't break the rule. I don't think listing penalties will help anything. In fact, I think it would do something opposite to that effect.

EDIT:

Also:

Quote:1.5 Possible sanctions for rule violations are:

- Removal of certain equipment from player ship (equipment fine);
- Removal of credits from character, % or fixed sum (credit fine);
- Placing inside a prison system;
- Deleting character;
- Banning account on forums and/or in-game;
- Banning IPs;
- Moving player ships;
- Renaming player ships.

First post in the rules section.

A suggestion - Snak5 - 09-18-2011

Admins already have fixed punishments for regular rule breaking. 100M for F1, 7 day ban for cursing, equipment removal when re-engaging etc etc.

A suggestion - Mickk - 09-18-2011

' Wrote:Admins already have fixed punishments for regular rule breaking. 100M for F1, 7 day ban for cursing, equipment removal when re-engaging etc etc.

Yes, I've been here long enough to know those from reading the various sanctions.

What I was saying is that there should be a LIST that other people can see, but from what has been said so far, it seems people aren't really interested in other people knowing what the possible punishments are. :mellow:

A suggestion - Snak5 - 09-18-2011

' Wrote:Yes, I've been here long enough to know those from reading the various sanctions.

What I was saying is that there should be a LIST that other people can see, but from what has been said so far, it seems people aren't really interested in other people knowing what the possible punishments are. :mellow:
Rules are to be followed all the times. It does not matter what the punishments are. Also, fixed list will only make more discussion whether those are too soft or too harsh, and might lead to pointless flame wars.

Admins are doing their job already. That is holding to their own standards, yet stepping away from them if something deserves more.

Flexibility.

A suggestion - BaconSoda - 09-18-2011

' Wrote:Yes, I've been here long enough to know those from reading the various sanctions.

There is a list:

Quote:1.5 Possible sanctions for rule violations are:

- Removal of certain equipment from player ship (equipment fine);
- Removal of credits from character, % or fixed sum (credit fine);
- Placing inside a prison system;
- Deleting character;
- Banning account on forums and/or in-game;
- Banning IPs;
- Moving player ships;
- Renaming player ships.

First post in the rules thread.

A suggestion - Ipuvaepe - 09-18-2011

You all seem to forget that the server MOTD doesn't say there are more rules on the forum. All it says is "for more information go to discoverygc.com"

This needs to be fixed

A suggestion - Champ - 09-18-2011

' Wrote:You all seem to forget that the server MOTD doesn't say there are more rules on the forum. All it says is "for more information go to discoverygc.com"

This needs to be fixed

And this I shall agree to.
Although "There are more rules on the forum" sounds a little disdainful :P
"Please visit discoverygc.com for full rules and more information" ?

A suggestion - SMGSterlin - 09-18-2011

Didn't read the thread, but, the other party shouldn't need to know the penalties for the crimes they commit, to not commit them.

I think the current system is much more efficient at stopping rule breakers, instead of them knowing what to expect, they get hit with a massive loss with no foreknowledge of what to expect. Makes them go "WHAT?! YOU TOOK MY 80 MILLIONS AND ARMOR?! WHY SO MUCH?!", instead of them going "Yeah yeah, 100 million fine, didn't have it, you took my other stuff, blah blah blah, w/e."