Discovery Gaming Community
A Question on Cruising - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Rules & Requests (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Rules (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: A Question on Cruising (/showthread.php?tid=6842)

A Question on Cruising - Decoy - 03-10-2008

The other day i was engaged by a LF and a HF in my Gunboat. After taking out the HF, the LF turned to bug out. I cruised up to catch up to him under the impression that it was under the rules as a simple pursuit...

After i dispatched him i was informed that what i did was against the rules, i wasnt sure i had done anything wrong but i apologized anyway and came onto this forum to find some info on the situation...

Rule 5.6 is generic enough, but doesnt consider anything on pursuer vs. pursuee which should be pretty obvious to distinguish in most situations.
And other topics on this discussion seem to be more of an active debate rather than coming to any sort of real conclusion.

I would imagine that the speed at which the pursuit is occuring wouldnt change the fact that its still a pursuit...

But thats just my own opinion, any info on what the standing practice is for this would be helpful.

Thanks
-D

A Question on Cruising - Jinx - 03-10-2008

in a pvp, the first to engage the cruise for whatever reason and time is to leave the system cause he is considered retreating.

that rules is in effect unless the other player is engaging cruise aswell to chase. - in that case, the first one that engaged cruise is considered being chased and may continue the pvp. - if, however, the 2nd one that engaged the cruise does not chase, but instead engages cruise to leave himself.. the first one that engaged cruise is considered retreating and must leave.

thrusting is not cruise, so a fighter may well thrust out of weapon range and the gunboat must not engage cruise, cause if it does, it is considered retreating, no matter in what direction or what intention. ( stupid rule , but its the rule )

so, if the light fighters were not cruising - you were not allowed to cruise, as it would have been retreating. if the LF engaged cruise though, you have a right to do so aswell as it is chasing.

A Question on Cruising - Decoy - 03-10-2008

Doesnt seem to be an accurate rule for RP, seeing on how its not really something that would happen realistically...

But even so ill be sure to observe the rule in future

Thanks for the help Jinx

A Question on Cruising - CCI45-px/Probe149 - 03-10-2008

' Wrote:thrusting is not cruise, so a fighter may well thrust out of weapon range and the gunboat must not engage cruise, cause if it does, it is considered retreating, no matter in what direction or what intention. ( stupid rule , but its the rule )

Good to know

A Question on Cruising - tfmachad - 03-10-2008

' Wrote:Doesnt seem to be an accurate rule for RP, seeing on how its not really something that would happen realistically...

But even so ill be sure to observe the rule in future

Thanks for the help Jinx
This rule is much more about gameplay than it is about realism.

A Question on Cruising - NonSequitor - 03-10-2008

Could someone explain how a gunboat engaging cruise to catch up to a fighter, which had thrusted out of weapons' range, is detrimental to gameplay?

A Question on Cruising - cgaWolf - 03-10-2008

Just guessing: Forumspam & flames on who cruised first / capspamming issues / etc..?

*edit for clarification: Thing is there already seems to be a problem with the rather large number and use of capships. Fighter class vessels may be powerfull if used right, but the more obvious solution to being outgunned is bringing bigger guns. If people aren't allowed "superior" mobility or temporary tactical retreats in small vessels, the number of caships will increase.

I already got smacked over the head by a Cruiser while flying my bomber today. As it was all in RP and made sense (i had been blockading a certain jumphole for quite some time, a BH arriving was expected) i have no problem with it. But if i can't disengage & reengage for a torpedo run against heavier ships, that means i'm left without options other than bringing more and bigger guns too, if i want to stand a chance.

I realize that's a noob argument (hey, i am a newbie, i'm allowed my share of beginner errors:P), but it's a sound one (even if i personally won't follow that line of thought/action for other reasons).

A Question on Cruising - Wo3dy - 03-10-2008

' Wrote:in a pvp, the first to engage the cruise for whatever reason and time is to leave the system cause he is considered retreating.

that rules is in effect unless the other player is engaging cruise aswell to chase. - in that case, the first one that engaged cruise is considered being chased and may continue the pvp. - if, however, the 2nd one that engaged the cruise does not chase, but instead engages cruise to leave himself.. the first one that engaged cruise is considered retreating and must leave.

thrusting is not cruise, so a fighter may well thrust out of weapon range and the gunboat must not engage cruise, cause if it does, it is considered retreating, no matter in what direction or what intention. ( stupid rule , but its the rule )

so, if the light fighters were not cruising - you were not allowed to cruise, as it would have been retreating. if the LF engaged cruise though, you have a right to do so aswell as it is chasing.

youwould be suprised ho many ignore this rule, i have had to many times, when they chased me(me with thruster), they cruise infront of me to get a shot...

A Question on Cruising - chopper - 03-10-2008

Yes.
And it totally pisses me of.

I'm fleeing on thrusters from 2 merc bombers, and BHG gunship is catching up on cruise.
Then ekill from cruise, going in front of me and shooting all the time from rear view..

People do that all the time, but that doesn't make it right.
Try to acquire evidence on their doing and report them for, well practically, re-engaging.
However, if you hit a cruise first, it's totally legit for them to chase you on cruise.

A Question on Cruising - ScornStar - 03-10-2008

I have said my opinion time and again any ideas how to get admin to address this once and for all for everyone? I've seen this thread like five times and started two myself. I think realism is the best move to go for, in the interest of MAX RP. If anyone feels its more fair to have it for gameplay (PVP) in my opinion but, not the issue lets see if we can get some consensus one way or the other and get an Admin to stomp onbe way or the other, I just want to know and will go either way now. SO, ADMIN, WHATS THE WORD?!?!?:rtfm: