Discovery Gaming Community
Recreating the Phantoms? - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: Recreating the Phantoms? (/showthread.php?tid=68481)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Recreating the Phantoms? - Tenacity - 11-07-2011

Touchy subject, I know, but hear me out. I wasnt around when the phantoms were disbanded (from what I hear, they were forced out by admins and the rest of the community, not sure how accurate that rumor is, though), but I get the impression from talking with players who were present that the primary reasoning behind shutting down the Phantoms was that nobody liked their RP, if you can call "I'm evil, and dark, and more evil, so let me kill you!" roleplaying at all.

Obviously bringing them back under the same pretenses is not going to happen, but are the admins (and community) open to retconning the phantoms into an altogether different type of group? Something with an entirely new background, style of roleplay, and purpose within Sirius? After all, at the moment the faction is taking up 3 ship designs, 2 bases, and one system that are completely unusable, seems like an awful waste IMO when there's potential to re-imagine the phantoms as a different type of faction.

Recreating the Phantoms? - Virus - 11-07-2011

No.

It was shut down because it was time to be shut down. Leave them dead.

So you would rather shut off everything that was created for them than allow a new group with new RP to take over and put those items to use?

Recreating the Phantoms? - Virus - 11-07-2011

Yes.

Honestly, I would rather see the ships replaced with something another faction needs (civilian fighters and bombers?) and the station and system removed.

There's no need for the Phantoms (or anything similar) in Sirius, and there hasn't been for a long time. It took us who were left quite a while to realize that.

Recreating the Phantoms? - Echo 7-7 - 11-07-2011

The Devs are too busy working on 4.86 to reassign all the Phantom bits and pieces.

Also, I've been told that "attacking all Sirians" RP gets old.

Let it rest.

Recreating the Phantoms? - DarthBindo - 11-07-2011

The Spark of Light and Life has had thoughts on this.
Long, deep thoughts.
We found it to be unlikely, at best, despite our hopes and aspirations.

EDIT:@Virus
Admins have already declared this an impossibility due to other Disco mod's use of the Phantoms equipment.
Course, they could just go ahead and do it still, but w/e.

I'm not saying that they should be replaced with another "shoot everyone in sirius" faction, quite the opposite - the group I had in mind for taking up the phantom's place is hardly hostile to the bulk of factions in Sirius. As I said, it would be an entire reimagining of the faction, they would no longer be 'evil terrorists' working for an alien group that rampage around blowing up everyone they meet.

Recreating the Phantoms? - DarthBindo - 11-07-2011

Retroactively changing history is like using roast beef for a reuben.......
a cardinal sin for which you will burn in the fiery depths of Tartarus.

If you're really serious about using the Phantoms tech, equipment, and bases, you need to have roleplay that would explain how they came to change/whatever.
Good, non-goal driven roleplay.

Typically I'm against retconning as well, but I was told that the phantoms have basically already been retconned out of ever having existed in the first place, so there would be no need.

Recreating the Phantoms? - Camtheman - 11-07-2011

Quote:Yes.

Honestly, I would rather see the ships replaced with something another faction needs (civilian fighters and bombers?) and the station and system removed.

There's no need for the Phantoms (or anything similar) in Sirius, and there hasn't been for a long time. It took us who were left quite a while to realize that.

OMG YES MAKE THE HUNTRESS CIVVY AGAIN.

I'd love you forever.

That'd be perfect. As well as all those juicy ships like the Slipstream and... what was it called? Shadow Assault Fighter? Something.

Good stuff.