Discovery Gaming Community
Render Tutorial - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Media Center (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=18)
+--- Thread: Render Tutorial (/showthread.php?tid=69700)

Pages: 1 2 3

Render Tutorial - schlurbi - 12-06-2011

Dear Ladies and Gentlemen,

compared to the past there are more and more People creating Art on these Forums. Mostly People doing Signatures and Banners, but that is still Art. We're on a Freelancer Forum and most of the Art is, guess what, about Freelancer and Art for Freelancer mostly requires Ships and/or Stations. With this Tutorial I'd like to introduce People into rendering Ships and Stations.

What you need

To render a Ship you will need two Programs. Both of them are fairly easy to get, but both of them are not for free, but both of them have a 30 Day Trial. I am talking about Milkshape and Autodesk 3ds. To tell you something about these Programs: Both were meant to be modelling Programs, to create Objects just like Ships, Creatures and other random Stuff. Milkshape is fairly old, it was meant for the first Half Life. Autodesk 3ds is almost like Photoshop updated every Year.

Milkshape
Autodesk 3ds

Install both Programs, mind you Autodesk is fairly heavy and will probably take a While to install. Also, you'll need a decent PC for that. I am not talking about a Super Heavy Ultra-Fast High End Machine, just don't expect to render a Ship using a Notebook.

Let's get it started - Milkshape

To explain what we're doing with Milkshape. We only need the Program to convert the Files of the Ship/Station you want to render. All Files are CMP Files and Autodesk 3ds can't read them. IMPORTANT: Even Milkshape won't read CMP Files. For that you will need to download the CMP Importer. The Importer is hard to find, even on the Internet, for that I have uploaded the File onto my Dropbox for everyone to download.

Once you've downloaded the Zip File, unzip it and paste the File into your Milkshape Folder which should be C:\Programs\MilkShape 3D 1.8.4. Now you can open Milkshape.

Your Milkshape Window should look like this
[Image: Step%201.PNG]

Don't worry, there will be less Text now.

Go to File->Import and select Freelancer CMP Importer 2.7

[Image: Step%202.PNG]

Now another Window should open.

[Image: Step%203.PNG]

Before you click on "Model" to import the Ship's File, you'll have to go to Hardpoints and take the Tick out of "Import". Otherwise they would be imported and you can't remove them. The Files are easy to find, just go to C:\Programs\Microsoft Games\Freelancer\DATA\SHIPS. Here you can find all Files for the Ships. If you wish to render a Station choose STATIONS instead of SHIPS. For the Tutorial I will now take the Sabre as Example. You continue with going to BORDER_WORLDS then BW_VHEAVY_FIGHTER.

To import the Ship, choose the File ending with .cmp (careful now, this Folder contains two CMP Files, one of them should not be there). In this Case you should open the "bw_vheavy_fighter" Milkshape will automatically load the Model and all the Texture Files. NOTE: Don't be scared, it's fairly common that Milkshape could now crash or just die. Sometimes it will take Ages to load the Texture Files, sometimes it just closes without actually saying something.

Your Milkshape should now look like this

[Image: Step%204.PNG]

You'll see that your Sabre is having no Textures at all. No don't think you've made something wrong or that I am just telling Garbage with saying it will load the Textures by itself. Just right click on the Window where your Ship is in and select "Textured". Now you have a fully textured Sabre. You can also maximize the Window.

[Image: Step%205.PNG]

Before we export the Render you'll have to get rid of the Grid and the Axis. Otherwise you'd export these as well. Right click again and take out the Ticks.

[Image: Step%206.PNG]

To export the Ship, meaning to ready it up for Autodesk 3ds you'll go to Files -> Export and then select Wavefront OBJ. Now give your Files a Name (best would be using the Ship's name) and save them. Now you can close Milkshape, don't worry about saving it. We only need the OBJ File.

[Image: Step%207.PNG]

Next Part will be continued in the next Post.

Rendering your Ship - Autodesk 3ds

Now the heavier Part of the Tutorial. Start up Autodesk. For me, it takes quite a While, so be prepared. Once it is open you import the OBJ File you've just created by going to Files -> Import. Now you'll have to open the File you've created, it'll be where ever you have saved it. Once you've found and opened it a new Window will pop up.

[Image: Step%208.PNG]

Normally you just press Import to import the Ship. But I like to explain what you can see in that Window. All the original Ships are made out of several Parts. If you wish to render a Ship which was made for Discovery, let's take the Jinkusu for an Example, you will only see one large Part. That's also the Reason why only original Ships explode into several Pieces, lose Wings and open when you drop Cargo.

Once you've clicked on Import the Ship will be displayed and should look like this.

[Image: Step%209.PNG]

Now you will see, like in Milkshape four Windows. Three of them show the Sabre in a Wireframe Model from different Sides. To make it easier you should stretch the Window with the textured Sabre and maximize it.

[Image: Step%2010.PNG]

Moving the Ship

On the Top right you will notice a Cube with a Circle around it. Using that Cube you can spin the Camera around the Sabre. Using the Mouse Wheel to zoom in and out. You can also select each Side and the Camera will center onto it. By clicking onto "Back" the Camera will move in front of the Sabre.

[Image: Step%2011.PNG]
You can either use this Tool to position the Camera or you can spin the Sabre by itself. You can spin the Ship by selecting "Select and Rotate". Once you've clicked it a Ball will appear inside the Sabre. Using this Ball you can spin the Sabre into several directions. Each line on the Ball shows you in which Direction you can spin the Ship. Just click and hold the Line, then move your Mouse. The Number, which is appearing shows you how many Degrees you are spinning it. NOTE: Ne careful to select all the Sabre Parts. Otherwise you'd have a messed up Sabre.

If you only wish to move the Ship select "Select and Move". Now a Box will appear inside the Sabre and each Arrow on the Box shows you in which Direction you can move the Ship. It works just like the spinning does.

[Image: Step%2012.PNG]

Changing Texture

Sometimes you'll have to change the Texture a bit. You'll have to adjust it and sometimes even change or add Colours. You've probably noticed already that the Sabre's Cockpit is messed up. Just press M to open the Texture Menu.

[Image: Step%2013.PNG]

You'll see different Balls with all the Textures. You'll see, they are all the Textures which are placed on the Sabre. Just select the Cockpit's Glass Texture, which should be called "bw_glass".

[Image: Step%2014.PNG]

In this Window you can see various Settings for the Texture, but we are only interested in the Opacity of that Texture. Changing it to something between 40 and 50% should make the Texture look like Glass.

[Image: Step%2015.PNG]

Now we can finish the Render, move the Ship or the Camera you like and make it look awesome. Something like this for Example.

[Image: Step%2016.PNG]

Now, to get the Render Progress started, press F10 and a new Window will open.

[Image: Step%2017.PNG]

I will not explain much about Dynamic Renders with different Settings of Light and other Stuff like that. I never use that anyway and it is not required to make an awesome Picture. What's important is the middle Section. Here you can change the Size of your Picture. I normally use 800x600, which is enough for a Signature. Of course you can do larger Images for Desktop Backgrounds or Wallpapers. For the Tutorial I will now use 640x480.

If you've chosen your Size, click on render. Now another Window will open. Now it is only important to change the Image. It will always preview how it will look like. To save the Image just go to the "Save Image" Button on the left Side and enter your File Name and Destination. NOTE: You will always have to choose which File Type you want, I suggest taking PNG Format, since it allows Transparency and delivers a good Quality. Writing .png of your File Name will instantly save it as PNG.

Now you're done and allowed to close Autodesk. Just like in Milkshape, you do not need to save it, but if your are working something like a Formation, which required a lot of spinning, moving and texture work I suggest saving it.
Now you've got your Image which should look like this
[Image: Finished.png]

Update Eins: Fixing white Texture

Sometimes, you will have a Problem appearing. It will always be on the same Texture. I did this Example a Render of Westpoint Station. The same Texture is used on other Stations and Ships like the Luxury Liner, Bounty Hunter Cruisers and more.

There is an easy Fix to this annoying Thing. Unfortunately you wont see this until you actually render the Station/Ship and want to save this. Before you crap your Pants and ask yourself what now, I will post this earlier than I wanted.

Here we have what happened. You imported the File into Autodesk and want to save it, but now this. What do?
[Image: Step%201.PNG]

Easy, you leave the Render Menu and go back into the Texture Window by pressing M. You'll see a purely white Globe instead of seeing any Texture. Select the Globe and click on the White Field to open the Colour Menu. Now you change from purely white to pitch black and close it.
[Image: Step%202.PNG]

Select the Globe and click on the White Field to open the Colour Menu. Now you change from purely white to pitch black and close it.
[Image: Step%203.PNG]

No press F10 again and open the Render Menu, render the Station and see, you've fix'd it.
[Image: Step%204.PNG]

I made this because People were asking me how I am doing this. I could not just tell them "Yeh yeh, I am using Milkshape and 3ds Max" and not telling them how. I hope this is useful for People who didn't do Renders yet, but were interested in doing some.

I will add some more Stuff sooner or later, but now...Dinner!

Render Tutorial - Narendran87 - 12-06-2011

Thanks for taking time in this. Really helpful.

Render Tutorial - Korny - 12-06-2011

Sexy, scratched the "selfish" from my list with your name on it.

Selfish? :'(

I even want to write more.

Render Tutorial - KAWISH-ALI - 12-06-2011

hey schlurbi ,dude you know what , you did a nyc job,
and why you changed your avatar i like that one:(, get it back? Lost it? Dont worry i saved it when i saw it first ,i am a big fan of you ,your sigs ,your art ,
keep it up best wishes:)

RE: Render Tutorial - Luke. - 07-11-2014

Lets go gravedigging 'cause this is an important thread.

I have a question to anyone else that's using it though. Trying to texture the prosecutor and it won't fill in most of them. Why? Sad

RE: Render Tutorial - nOmnomnOm - 07-11-2014

Thank you for this thread!