Discovery Gaming Community
New template for Ship information. - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Rules & Requests (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Site & Forum Feedback (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+---- Forum: Discovery Wiki (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=40)
+---- Thread: New template for Ship information. (/showthread.php?tid=69751)

New template for Ship information. - Echo 7-7 - 12-08-2011

Over the past two days, Error/Space and I have created and begun to apply a new Ship Infobox template to all ships in the wiki.

We've called it Ship Infobox 2, since it is actually quite similar to its predecessor - it merely includes a couple of extra options to enter information.

Most significantly, there is a new line that appears under Additional Information: Tech Category.
Tech Category indicates which cell a ship occupies on the Discovery RP 24/7 tech chart.

This is not to be confused with the line which displays "Built by". The ship's Builder will now reflect the actual builder of the ship inRP. If there are multiple or unknown builders, then it will be left as something generic.

One other thing we've done is included the ship "Variants" section. That functionality existed in the previous template, yet was not being used.

For an example of what this looks like, check out the Startracker and Starblazer pages.

Please let us know if you have any questions or concerns.

NB: not all ships have been updated at the time of this post.

New template for Ship information. - Error - 12-08-2011

' Wrote:NB: not all ships have been updated at the time of this post.
To be precise, here's a list of the ships that are still missing tech chart categories (and variants, where applicable).

Another thing to note is we're (for now) only adding a list of variants to ships that share models (for example the Hussar and the Cavalier), not for all the ships of a shipline that are based on each other (for example the Border Worlds shipline).

New template for Ship information. - Blodo - 12-08-2011

Guys, don't do that. Replace the old Ship Infobox template with the new Ship Infobox 2 one instead. There is no need for the old one if you're going to replace all ship infoboxes with the new one, then you will end up moving the new one to the old one anyway and undoing all your edits to the hundreds of articles on ships anyway.

New template for Ship information. - Error - 12-08-2011

The reason why is because it's a lot easier for us to see which ship pages are done or not by seeing which of the two templates are linked to where.

I considered adding the changes to template 1 earlier before we started - this was the easiest solution that I saw, at least.

I was thinking of adding the changes of template 2 to template 1 when we're finished with all the ships, so all changes in the future are done with the usual Template:Ship Infobox. Template 2 is temporary.

EDIT: I'll set up a redirect from template 2 to 1 when we're done.

New template for Ship information. - (ツ) - 12-14-2011

Looks good to me.

Could you also include Turning rate?

New template for Ship information. - Echo 7-7 - 12-14-2011

' Wrote:Looks good to me.

Could you also include Turning rate?

That would involve digging into the ship data files, which is not something I know how to do.

It's also very tedious because each ship has a different turning rate in each direction, and same for strafing, plus roll speed, plus... you get the picture. I'm not going to attempt that, especially with 4.86 about to arrive.

That's not saying we can't dig that info up once 4.86 is out, though, and/or find someone willing to do it.

New template for Ship information. - AeternusDoleo - 12-14-2011

My advice is if you want info that detailed, to use FLStat to get it. The Wiki should be kept simple - if only to reduce the amount of time people spend keeping it up to date. The only alternative would be to automate the process - something that could be done with a bit of work. I've already made a small app that can dump all the weapon data into a few tables (including tracking cones, missile motors, etc). Shouldn't be too hard to do that for ships as well but it'd take some time to do. And since we're busy meeting the release deadline, other projects are not on my tasklist.

New template for Ship information. - Blodo - 12-15-2011

' Wrote:My advice is if you want info that detailed, to use FLStat to get it. The Wiki should be kept simple - if only to reduce the amount of time people spend keeping it up to date. The only alternative would be to automate the process - something that could be done with a bit of work. I've already made a small app that can dump all the weapon data into a few tables (including tracking cones, missile motors, etc). Shouldn't be too hard to do that for ships as well but it'd take some time to do. And since we're busy meeting the release deadline, other projects are not on my tasklist.
cshake did this in the past. He said he'll come back after the release to regenerate the wiki, since he has a mediawiki bot to do it easily as well.