Discovery Gaming Community
Air Force/Navy Depate. - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Discovery RP 24/7 General Discussions (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: Air Force/Navy Depate. (/showthread.php?tid=70704)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Air Force/Navy Depate. - Avalanche - 12-25-2011

This has began recently due to my LAF.

But I have stated my point of view here with some other folks...

Quote:[9:49:59 PM] Timo Edge (TheOrangeButterfly): I hate their ****ing comments
[9:50:02 PM] Timo Edge (TheOrangeButterfly): "LOL AIR FORCE IN SPACE"
[9:50:06 PM] Timo Edge (TheOrangeButterfly): same - my LMC got
[9:50:09 PM] Timo Edge (TheOrangeButterfly): they can go die:D
[9:50:15 PM] Stefz: Ye.
[9:50:15 PM] Greg (Ava): I am thinking
[9:50:17 PM] Timo Edge (TheOrangeButterfly): "LOL MARINES IN SPACE"
[9:50:19 PM] Greg (Ava): "HAVE YOU NOT SEEN STARGATE?"
[9:50:21 PM] Timo Edge (TheOrangeButterfly): (rage)
[9:50:22 PM] Stefz: GET - YOU!
[9:50:23 PM] Stefz: (nerd)
[9:51:05 PM] Greg (Ava): What I honestly don't get, and probably never will is... The Air Force today... they have what, working with NASA, and have jets that can fly in space momenterally..
[9:51:19 PM] Greg (Ava): So when the **** did an Organisation with 1000000 ton warships get in space?
[9:51:23 PM] Eagle (Junes): [9:50 PM] Greg (Ava):

<<< "HAVE YOU NOT SEEN STARGATE?"(rofl)
[9:51:41 PM] Greg (Ava): I can understand The Navy controlling Caps,
[9:51:45 PM] Greg (Ava): but then the Air Force snubs.
[9:51:56 PM] Greg (Ava): And the Navy may have their own small number of snubs as defence.
[9:52:00 PM] Greg (Ava): Like it is on Earth todate.
[9:52:11 PM] Timo Edge (TheOrangeButterfly): every branch today has fighters/helicopters
[9:52:11 PM] Eagle (Junes): Seems legit.
[9:52:16 PM] Greg (Ava): But Just total Navy domination, I'll never understand.
[9:52:18 PM] Greg (Ava): Yeah exactly.
[9:52:22 PM] Timo Edge (TheOrangeButterfly): i agree, i don't get it either
[9:52:24 PM] Greg (Ava): The Marines and Army have helos.
[9:52:47 PM] Greg (Ava): Since how long would it take for the platoon to get extraction if commanders need to phone up the Air Force to get a Helicopter out?
[9:52:54 PM] Greg (Ava): Hell no, you don't waste time, you get your own helos.
[9:53:29 PM] Greg (Ava): I've always felt like that,
[9:53:35 PM] Greg (Ava): But, I guess I'm one of few.

Just curious now, what do you all say?

Air Force/Navy Depate. - AshHill07 - 12-25-2011

I think they probably all united to form the Liberty Navy. Not just the Navy took over and everyone else was forced to dispand.

Plus don't forget the Navy was formed straight to space travel, they probably agreed on the name as they formed the military force on Manhatten in the first few years.
Its not like the individual forces existed it was a brand new force started from scratch.

Also would you accept a transfer for a cap from secondary to LAF or is it strictly fighters only? I've been looking for an LN RP group to try get into and getting into a brand new one may be a better idea since I'll get to see it evolve. Plus it may make my lazy ass more active. xD

' Wrote:I think they probably all united to form the Liberty Navy. Not just the Navy took over and everyone else was forced to dispand.

Plus don't forget the Navy was formed straight to space travel, they probably agreed on the name as they formed the military force on Manhatten in the first few years.
Its not like the individual forces existed it was a brand new force started from scratch.

Also would you accept a transfer for a cap from secondary to LAF or is it strictly fighters only? I've been looking for an LN RP group to try get into and getting into a brand new one may be a better idea since I'll get to see it evolve. Plus it may make my lazy ass more active. xD

Well I don't agree but I guess there is no way to know for sure. Nah sorry. Snubs only bro.

Air Force/Navy Depate. - Tachyon - 12-25-2011

' Wrote:Well I don't agree but I guess there is no way to know for sure. Nah sorry. Snubs only bro.

I like that concept.

Air Force/Navy Depate. - jammi - 12-25-2011

To be honest, I don't agree with the faction on a conceptual level. The air force should be self-contained within the atmosphere of Libertonian planets. Your comparison to the Army Air Corps and the Fleet Air Arm doesn't really hold much water either.

The Army Air Corps provides transports for the short range movement of troops (Chinooks as opposed to Hercules') and fire support on land (proportionally 'short' range helicopters). The Fleet Air Arm provides transport/search & rescue and fighter cover for the Navy on the sea.

Real life examples hold no weight whatsoever, but if they did you'd be suggesting the Army Air Corps patrol the oceans. They're completely incompatible zones of operation. In Starlancer, the Alliance's space force was referred to as a Navy too.

The lore states that the armed forces of Liberty are the navy. The Air Force isn't referenced at all. That doesn't mean it doesn't exist, but it does mean it has no place in space whatsoever. If the Air Force was intended to command the Navy's snub force, I'm sure there'd be something somewhere saying so.

Still, I wish you the best of luck with this.

Air Force/Navy Depate. - Korny - 12-25-2011

Why's there still people comparing real life militaries and brands to Freelancer ?

' Wrote:Why's there still people comparing real life militaries and brands to Freelancer ?
Dunno. But it's basically the crutch Ava is using to prop up his entire argument for Air Forces existing in space.

/shrug.

' Wrote:The lore states that the armed forces of Liberty are the navy. The Air Force isn't referenced at all. That doesn't mean it doesn't exist, but it does mean it has no place in space whatsoever. If the Air Force was intended to command the Navy's snub force, I'm sure there'd be something somewhere saying so.

Still, I wish you the best of luck with this.

Just because some guy at Microsoft decided they'd call all forces after the Navy, doesn't make it more logical or hold more weight. It is just the one opinion that influences us all. What I'm saying is, The Air force is far closer to space and space travel and conflict than the Navy blinking well is.

Also, just because 'Lore' doesn't say it, doesn't mean it can't happen. Take all the AI groups, the SCRA, the CR. We as a community are breaking away from the lore. Roll with it.

' Wrote:Just because some guy at Microsoft decided they'd call all forces after the Navy, doesn't make it more logical or hold more weight. It is just the one opinion that influences us all. What I'm saying is, The Air force is far closer to space and space travel and conflict than the Navy blinking well is.

Also, just because 'Lore' doesn't say it, doesn't mean it can't happen. Take all the AI groups, the SCRA, the CR. We as a community are breaking away from the lore. Roll with it.
Logical? Perhaps not. Weight? Very much so. The fact that the vanilla developers chose to specifically name the organisation the Navy says quite a lot. As for the Air Force being closer to space and space travel... This is based on your own flawed (in comparison the Sirius) comparisons to reality - a habit that is generally frowned upon here - in light of a game which provides some very clear written material to the contrary.

Air Force/Navy Depate. - Avalanche - 12-26-2011

If we can't compare what we have in-game to what we know in reality, then this whole game is just based on one guys imagination. Excuse me while I look for alternatives...

Anyway, it's not like my idea of the Air Force being contrary at all, I'm playing along to Lore. I quite clearly stated that the Air Force is an interplanetary force but only now has it began to get a space borne capability.