Discovery Gaming Community
Missile loadout - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: Missile loadout (/showthread.php?tid=7246)

Missile loadout - wrathkin - 03-26-2008

So, I was thinking... if I wanted to outfit a heavy fighter for taking out targets (bombers/fighters) fast, not for taking out many targets, would an all-missile or almost all-missile loadout be effective? I don't have one of those fancy data-viewers, but my thinking was that there are some level 8-10 missiles that seem to do quite some damage.

So, say I set up a VHF with two lvl 9 launchers, two lvl 10 launchers and perhaps two level 10 codenames or whatnots. Would it

a) deal enough damage
b) be able to hit at all in pvp

It would be expensive, of course, but it would also be different from what I've seen in use so far, and different is a fun of it's own.

Or, would a missile loadout on a bomber allow me to counter fighters? Torpedo hardpoints for capships, missiles for fighters?

/w

Missile loadout - Jinx - 03-26-2008

especially when you want to go after bombers, you ll face problems there. bombers are all non vanilla ( original ) ships. - they have a single hitbox instead of multiple hitboxes. - that means, they take only minor damage from missiles.

another problem with missiles is - while they work fine in a head on head ( joust ) - they are not really efficient when you have to chase someone. since a bomber will most probably concentrate on the warship instead of the fighter defender, you ll most probably stick on its six. - at a place where missiles have a problem tracking / catching up.

an all missile ship is not useless. - in a one on one, a missile ship can quickly kill an enemy ( provided the enemy is in a vanilla ship ) - but at least it can strip all eqipment from the other person.

by all means - since missiles are only really effective against the hull, you ll need a shield buster. ( paralyzers would be fine, but since their speed is not much faster they don t get a great advantage over the hull busters. - that means, when you shoot your missiles in a pack, it doesn t mean the paralyzers hit first to take down the shield to make the hull breakers do their full damage )

i think that a good loadout is : 2 or 3 strong shieldbusters ( adv / imp delibitators or if you re unlawful inferno / colada ) and a sidewinder + cannonball. [ why not two cannonball? - cause the sidewinder is faster than the cannonball. when you fire two cannonballs, there is a chance that the blast of the first hit blows up the second before it hits - so that it won t do full damage )

but there are many theories about missiles effectiveness ( or utter ineffectiveness ) - all in all, most missiles are disappointing, but not useless.

Missile loadout - Edge - 03-26-2008

Speeeaaar!!! This is your area of expertise:P

Missile loadout - wrathkin - 03-26-2008

So... not worthless for a Bomber then? The guns are not that useful for 'proper' bomber bussiness, and I'll lose a turning competition against fighters fast enough - so the joust is where I want to deal a lot of damage. A staggered launch with a paralyzer first in the pack, (Paralyzer-Cannonball-Cannonball-Cannonball?) deals how much damage?

Missile loadout - mjolnir - 03-26-2008

1vs1 missiles are great... 1vs1 against vanilla ships.. they are fantastic!!!

But I would not go for complete missile loadout.... especially if the enemy flies a very agile ship.. it can be difficult.

you need a ship that has enough slots... so 6 or 7 (with turret), though putting some on a bomber can work too..

that said I have max. 2 missile launchers on any ship... leaves enough room for guns and frankly is enough against most ships.

Don't use more launchers of the same type (max 2) you will run out of ammo quite fast.

Paralyzers are great against not so agile ships (so slow VHFs and especially bombers)

Cannonballs are a must.

Sidewinder sometimes turns so much it turns around the target instead of detonating, and they take lvl 10 slots too.

Firestalkers are ok.

Sunslayer torpedoes are great "missiles" against bombers... disarms them in two hits.

--------------------------------------------
I use
Paralyzer + CB on a bomber, Sidewinder + CB, Firestalker + CB. The last two combinations insta-kill any vanilla ship.. if both missiles hit... which is usually the case (either none or both).

Also they are not really that easy to use...

1. Don't spam them...you will run out of ammo and the enemy will watch out for you.

2. Find the right moment when to fire ( so that the missile starts tracking and the enemy doesn't have time to evade)

3. Watch out for enemies with CDs:)

4. Don't waste (non-Paralyzers) on shields.

Missile loadout - onca - 03-26-2008

Caveat: Missiles are only great if you have a low ping rate. If you don't have a low ping, fighter missiles are %$#$!! useless. That includes PvP and fighting vanilla NPCs. Believe me I've dumped enough money into space to know. Even my CD's miss NPCs for crying out loud. The only ordinance I have luck with are torps, and only when "jousting" (possibly coz they have a bigger detonation range).

Capship missiles are far far better than fighter missiles, and cost exactly $0 to use. (anyone else see a problem with this?)

Missile loadout - mjolnir - 03-26-2008

' Wrote:Capship missiles are far far better than fighter missiles, and cost exactly $0 to use. (anyone else see a problem with this?)

me... a big one

http://discoverygc.com/forums/index.php?sh...=13577&st=0

Missile loadout - Why? - 03-27-2008

On vanilla servers, peeps can slaughter with a 2 Tiz, 2CB, 2 Firestalker, 1 torp and 1 mine loadout. I've seen people that can somehow make enough of them hit on one pass to kill in 1 pass.

The biggest thing against missiles and especially mines and torps is they are hard to use. Timing is critical. It can be the difference between killing someone, wasting the ammo, or blowing yourself up.

And missiles become weapons against you when someone knows how to use cd's properly.

And anything more than 2 missile launchers makes the ship 100% pvp only. Especially on Disco. Ammo weapons are a complete waste of time against NPC's.

Add the fact as mentioned above again that non-vanilla ships have only 1 hitbox, and with all the armor upgrades, and the fact that they have been known to take over an hour sometimes to complete 1 pvp episode, and ammo weapons really start to be tossed in the unused but all by the best category. You know, the ones that are so good at them that you just don't stand a chance in heck of beating them, so you might as well just run.

Seriously. I did a pvp on Disco where the dude I was facing missed me with every single missile he fired. That gets expensive.

So to sum it up, unless you are willing to put in the countless hours to perfect your skills with said ammo weapons, having too many on one ship is a detriment on Disoo, as far as I am concerned.

And I've run crazy missile and ammo weapon setups on vanilla servers, where the absurd vanilla ships make that just hysterical fun to use.

Now maybe if you wanna take out cap ships, you could come up with something insane...

Missile loadout - Virus - 03-27-2008

' Wrote:On vanilla servers, peeps can slaughter with a 2 Tiz, 2CB, 2 Firestalker, 1 torp and 1 mine loadout. I've seen people that can somehow make enough of them hit on one pass to kill in 1 pass.

Because the Eagle dies with one hit from a pair of Cannonballs OR Sunslayer Torp. Sabre and Titan, too usually.

On Discovery... Eagle has the same weakness. So does the Wrath.