Discovery Gaming Community
Project Joyride - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Real Life Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=16)
+---- Forum: Software & Hardware (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+---- Thread: Project Joyride (/showthread.php?tid=73207)

Pages: 1 2

Project Joyride - Leo - 01-22-2012

So, with my tax refund (yes I'm already planning on spending it immediately after I filed it), I'm going to be building a new desktop for the first time in a couple years. I've been using gaming laptops up until now, but I miss having the power of a desktop...so...here's the specs I'm going with it so far, tell me what you guys think.

"Project Joyride"
Rig Specs:

Case: NZXT Phantom
Mobo: ASUS Sabertooth 990FX
CPU: AMD FX-8150 BULLDOZER (3.6GHz)
PSU: Kingwin Lazer 850w
HDD: WD 7200RPM 6.0gb/s 3mb Cache 1TB (Upgrading to SSD once the tech becomes more reliable)
GPU: GeForce GTX 560 1gb (May change next month with 600 series)
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16gb / Quad Channel / 9-9-9-23 Timing / 9 Latency (Matches CPU Clock Timing)

That's what I have so far. I've got a DVD Blue Ray player in it as well for watching movies.

~Leo

P.S. I don't wanna hear anyone screaming, "Get an Intel!" because I enjoy the AMD processors. So any OTHER help would be appreciated. Thanks guys!:P

Project Joyride - jxie93 - 01-22-2012

' Wrote:"Get an Intel!"

Get an AMD GPU!

Project Joyride - Leo - 01-22-2012

Haha! While I like AMD Processors, I despise ATI. It may just be me, but I've never had very good luck with them or their drivers. NVIDIA I'm used to installing and dealing with the control panel settings.

But yeah, I'd like to be able to match up AMD CPU and GPU if I could stand ATI.

~Leo

Project Joyride - Ogris - 01-22-2012

' Wrote:So, with my tax refund (yes I'm already planning on spending it immediately after I filed it), I'm going to be building a new desktop for the first time in a couple years. I've been using gaming laptops up until now, but I miss having the power of a desktop...so...here's the specs I'm going with it so far, tell me what you guys think.

"Project Joyride"
Rig Specs:

HDD: WD 7200RPM 6.0gb/s 3mb Cache 1TB (Upgrading to SSD once the tech becomes more reliable)
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16gb / Quad Channel / 9-9-9-23 Timing / 9 Latency (Matches CPU Clock Timing)

That's what I have so far. I've got a DVD Blue Ray player in it as well for watching movies.

~Leo

P.S. I don't wanna hear anyone screaming, "Get an Intel!" because I enjoy the AMD processors. So any OTHER help would be appreciated. Thanks guys!:P

Besides the fact Intel performs better in all gaming related benchmarks? And Ivy Bridge is coming out soon?

Anyway, if your budget is "unlimited" hang on for the Ivy Bridge processors and the nvidia 6 series. Buying a PC during winter is the worst thing you could do ATM. If you don't feel confident having just an SSD atm, get one alongside your harddrive(64... heck 32 gigs will do for your OS and a game or two). Other than that it's ok. But really, wait until april.

Project Joyride - Canadianguy - 01-23-2012

' Wrote:So, with my tax refund (yes I'm already planning on spending it immediately after I filed it), I'm going to be building a new desktop for the first time in a couple years. I've been using gaming laptops up until now, but I miss having the power of a desktop...so...here's the specs I'm going with it so far, tell me what you guys think.

"Project Joyride"
Rig Specs:

~Leo

I personnaly don't see the point in having 16Gb and I am sure many others will agree with me but its your choice.

One thing thoug, ditch that "Kingwin" PSU.

PSUs are not something you want to go cheap on because cheap PSUs have a much higher tendency to fail, and if a PSU fail it might bring some other componnents with it.

For the GPU, I personnally would recomend that instead of wasting your money on a card you will use only a month, wait until the 600 series to be released before building your rig.

During that time, the AMD FX might get a tad cheaper and the HDD prices might come closer to what they where before the floodings.
Just as reference, I bought my 1TB WD Caviar Blue for I think about 60~70$ in August. Currently they are 140$ on newegg.ca.

Project Joyride - Leo - 02-06-2012

' Wrote:I personnaly don't see the point in having 16Gb and I am sure many others will agree with me but its your choice.

One thing thoug, ditch that "Kingwin" PSU.

PSUs are not something you want to go cheap on because cheap PSUs have a much higher tendency to fail, and if a PSU fail it might bring some other componnents with it.

For the GPU, I personnally would recomend that instead of wasting your money on a card you will use only a month, wait until the 600 series to be released before building your rig.

During that time, the AMD FX might get a tad cheaper and the HDD prices might come closer to what they where before the floodings.
Just as reference, I bought my 1TB WD Caviar Blue for I think about 60~70$ in August. Currently they are 140$ on newegg.ca.

Very good points, Trackpad. Thanks. I've always had good dealings with Kingpin PSU's and Raidmax as well. Do you have any suggestions on a good PSU brand that's modular and has some good lights on it? Newegg wasn't very helpful this time around, I think because they're waiting for the 600 series to be released.

~Leo

Project Joyride - Crusader4 - 02-09-2012

Just a question, why would you get an AMD Bulldozer over Intel's I7?
Its a proven fact, that Intel is better, at the same price range. Bulldozer was a failure on AMDs part.

As Ogris said already, wait a little bit, then buy whatever you want:P

Edit : Gravedig or what?!

Project Joyride - Leo - 02-10-2012

' Wrote:Just a question, why would you get an AMD Bulldozer over Intel's I7?
Its a proven fact, that Intel is better, at the same price range. Bulldozer was a failure on AMDs part.

[rant]

One: I hate Intel with a fiery passion of a thousand suns. Every one of their CPU's that I have purchased when attempted to overclock either their multiplier is locked or they die within a year.

Two: Their CPU's are way way WAY overpriced. This is a similar reason why I hate Apple with a passion, because they are overpriced. Intel is not within the same price range of AMD, whatsoever.

Three: AMD lasts a whole helluva lot longer than Intel's CPU's. I have an AMD dual core that I've been using for countless years and I've had no problems with. I had a quad core CPU Intel laptop and it died in 8 months.

Four: AMD holds the world record with the BULLDOZER architecture for highest clock speed recorded (8GHZ) so I fail to see how that is a failure on AMDs part. It out performed the i7 in every single test. Look it up online. Everywhere I've looked the only place that Intel did better than the BULLDOZER was the power usage (lower volts if I'm not mistaken)

Summary: AMD lasts longer, the BULLDOZER out performs the Intel i7 Architecture, and they're cheaper. I hate Intel and I won't purchase their overpriced products that are sub-par quality.

[/rant]

Sorry, had to get that off my chest, not to sound like a dick or anything, I really just prefer AMD quality products. Not that it's fanboy syndrome, it's just that over the countless years of building computers, AMD has always been reliable where Intel has not.

Also, I'm going to get the case, even though it's 350 bucks it's the most expensive part of the build. Hopefully while I'm on leave back on the mainland (not Guam) I'll be able to get the 600 series if it's out when I'm back. Then I can continue on with the build as planned.

~Leo

Project Joyride - Crusader4 - 02-11-2012

' Wrote:[rant]

One: I hate Intel with a fiery passion of a thousand suns. Every one of their CPU's that I have purchased when attempted to overclock either their multiplier is locked or they die within a year.

Two: Their CPU's are way way WAY overpriced. This is a similar reason why I hate Apple with a passion, because they are overpriced. Intel is not within the same price range of AMD, whatsoever.

Three: AMD lasts a whole helluva lot longer than Intel's CPU's. I have an AMD dual core that I've been using for countless years and I've had no problems with. I had a quad core CPU Intel laptop and it died in 8 months.

Four: AMD holds the world record with the BULLDOZER architecture for highest clock speed recorded (8GHZ) so I fail to see how that is a failure on AMDs part. It out performed the i7 in every single test. Look it up online. Everywhere I've looked the only place that Intel did better than the BULLDOZER was the power usage (lower volts if I'm not mistaken)

Summary: AMD lasts longer, the BULLDOZER out performs the Intel i7 Architecture, and they're cheaper. I hate Intel and I won't purchase their overpriced products that are sub-par quality.

[/rant]

Sorry, had to get that off my chest, not to sound like a dick or anything, I really just prefer AMD quality products. Not that it's fanboy syndrome, it's just that over the countless years of building computers, AMD has always been reliable where Intel has not.

Also, I'm going to get the case, even though it's 350 bucks it's the most expensive part of the build. Hopefully while I'm on leave back on the mainland (not Guam) I'll be able to get the 600 series if it's out when I'm back. Then I can continue on with the build as planned.

~Leo

I completely agreed/disagree and understand/dont understand you...May sound akward.

About the quality, its just a matter of luck, I had my share of experiences but the other way around.
About the overclocking, yeah, old Intel chips could not be overclocked but I doubt you'll overclock your Bulldozer to 8GHZ too xD
Amd tends to get burned much more often that intel, and yeas, intel is overpriced.

So in the end, its all about the ones luck and whats luck?!
If I find that guy I would shoot him in the face.:D

Project Joyride - Canadianguy - 02-16-2012

' Wrote:Just a question, why would you get an AMD Bulldozer over Intel's I7?

Why would you get an i7 over an i5.
Its a proven fact that the i5 is at max in gaming applications about 5% slower than the i7.
For 2/3 of the price.

Also Leonardo, I would have agreed with your argument about intel being overpriced if we were in the pre-i5 2500k period.

Since I agree that back then, AMD was the way to go in terms of price/quality, but with the i5 2500k, it changed.

There is a reason why Intel totally dominated the CPU market in 2011.

Although I do agree that intel extreme series CPUs are overpriced, but I don't know many people who buy them anyway.

Also, for lifespan, please do not compare an CPU mounted in a rig on a proper mobo to a CPU in a laptop and probably mounted on a cheap mobo.

But anyway, its you rig, do what you want.

Edit: For PSUs, I am not the most knowledgable guy in the world, but I know both Antec and Corsair are usually safe bets.