Discovery Gaming Community
Freelancer 2 storyline? - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Freelancer Forum (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: Freelancer 2 storyline? (/showthread.php?tid=73464)

Pages: 1 2

Freelancer 2 storyline? - Polarkreis - 01-25-2012

There is this thing bothering me already a long time. We all know that the Freelancer 2 development was canceled. But also there are some dev vids showing that they were working on it till some time... I guess noone would put his time into creation of a new engine and such without a story that should follow the original FL SP campaign... Maybe i am wrong or not, so my question is: what should happen to the people of Sirius in FL 2? Discuss:)

Freelancer 2 storyline? - escopton - 01-25-2012

Arent you living that exact thing every time you go online in Disco?

Freelancer 2 storyline? - kikatsu - 01-25-2012

Ignoring the things Discovery has done and only going off the default story line...

I would say it would have to be a good deal of time in the future, 50-100 years to allow new ships and tech to appear... likely maybe moving out beyond Sirius as the humans explored into the Nomad worlds. The most likely thing would be a sudden return of the Nomads, or perhaps a sudden powershift in the houses or some kind of threat from the outside like the Coalition to come in and mess things up.

Another idea is that Nomad sunkillers could hit the Sirius sector and the game follows refugees and colonists that are trying to escape and make a new home, but that is very BSG.

Freelancer 2 storyline? - Junes - 01-25-2012

Oh well, there's many possible scenarios. The Discovery lore is based mostly on uprising conflicts between the houses, as well as the introduction of a new house, this is of course to attract the player's attention and make it more exciting as an MPRPG, too.

The devs of FL 2 might have advanced the story with the Nomads or introduced other external conflicts, or maybe a peaceful Sirius sector. I dunno. I wouldn't mind knowing the plans of these devs and compare it to Igiss' lore.

Freelancer 2 storyline? - Polarkreis - 01-25-2012

' Wrote:Arent you living that exact thing every time you go online in Disco?

I had in my mind only the original FL storyline, not related to Disco mod;)(heh and in some way yeah)

' Wrote:Ignoring the things Discovery has done and only going off the default story line...

I would say it would have to be a good deal of time in the future, 50-100 years to allow new ships and tech to appear... likely maybe moving out beyond Sirius as the humans explored into the Nomad worlds. The most likely thing would be a sudden return of the Nomads, or perhaps a sudden powershift in the houses or some kind of threat from the outside like the Coalition to come in and mess things up.

Another idea is that Nomad sunkillers could hit the Sirius sector and the game follows refugees and colonists that are trying to escape and make a new home, but that is very BSG.

' Wrote:Oh well, there's many possible scenarios. The Discovery lore is based mostly on uprising conflicts between the houses, as well as the introduction of a new house, this is of course to attract the player's attention and make it more exciting as an MPRPG, too.

The devs of FL 2 might have advanced the story with the Nomads or introduced other external conflicts, or maybe a peaceful Sirius sector. I dunno. I wouldn't mind knowing the plans of these devs and compare it to Igiss' lore.

Sounds interesting.

Freelancer 2 storyline? - Omicron - 01-25-2012

I would bet 200 years ahead. Humanity gets new tech after abusing Nomad & Dam K'Vosh stuff. Perhaps even find out what happened trully with Earth, finding better evolved Nomads (maybe working for Dam K'Vosh themselves, not independently) which decided humanity is threat to everyone and everything (with quite good reasons) and Order emerges again messing around?

Freelancer 2 storyline? - pitockm - 01-25-2012

in workshop into toledo when people turn om that artifact. It shows the whole wrold map. So there is 8-10 sirius sectors there. Go figure it out!

Freelancer 2 storyline? - Klaw117 - 01-25-2012

An extension of the unmodded campaign would probably include some aspects of Sol. I heard rumors that in the development days of Freelancer that the player was actually meant to see something about Sol. As for whether or not it's destroyed it anyone's guess. The Nomads would also more than likely return in some way. The Daam K'Vosh could also make an appearance since nothing says that they left their empire entirely. It's only known that they left the Sirius Sector only. However, it's also just as likely that they don't make an appearance.

The Order probably would've set up a research station in Omicron Major. The Order did say they would watch the Hyper Gate after all and unlike in Discovery, it's implied that all of the Nomads were killed or banished after the Hyper Gate's activation (I consider the two unknown systems and the Nomads around them to be more like easter eggs than actual canon), so there's no real risk except for the Hyper Gate's reactivation to signal the return of the Nomads. I'd actually like to know why Discovery hasn't done that already. The Nomads have abandoned Omicron Major, so an Order base there isn't going to receive much of a threat. Apart from the extra base, the Order would probably have friendlier ties with the lawful governments.

Liberty and Bretonia would probably remain unchanged from the campaign. No long-term damage was really done to them.

Kusari could possibly face a civil war since I viewed the Blood Dragons as a strengthening force during the campaign so in a potential Freelancer 2, the Blood Dragons could potentially try to retake the government from Samura.

Rhineland (I spelled it like that on purpose since that was what the name was originally supposed to be) would probably have benefited slightly from the war since any surviving and disinfected ships from the Nomad buildup would probably be used to rebuild the Rhineland Military. However, this comes with a price: the economy would more than likely be in shambles. An NPC rumor said that Rhineland must've shifted from producing consumer goods to military goods and probably scrapped some consumer goods factories to get parts for military ships. Therefore, the people are probably pissed off over the lack of consumer products and little to export, combined with the massive debts from the Eighty Years War.

The Outcasts would probably be mostly unchanged, although depending on their view of the Nomad threat, they could be friendly to the Order or incredibly hostile to it. If they view the Nomads as a threat, then they may be friendly to the Order. If they continue to view the Nomads as "Great Spirits," then they'll view the Order as sacrilegious and kill its members and anyone who allies with them. Regardless of what happens to their stance on the Nomads though, they would probably still hate the Houses since they seems to believe that someone in the other sleeper ships was responsible for sabotaging the Hispania and not the Coalition. If this is true, then I would expect that someone from Liberty did it. Liberty already faces accusations of launching before the other sleeper ships were ready. It's not unlikely that a Libertonian would also sabotage the Hispania.

The Corsairs would probably benefit the most after the events of Freelancer. The Order would most likely view the Corsairs as a valuable source of artifacts for study and pay them handsomely for the artifacts. In turn, the Corsairs will probably be able to improve their lives and even buy a few biodomes. To go to the extreme end, their better fortune may push them away from piracy and they may end up becoming a lawful mini-House. Unlike the Outcasts, they don't seem to hate the other Houses as much, probably because they haven't been made more aggressive from cardamine. The NPC rumor about the sabotage from another sleeper ship member is also only in Omicron Alpha.

As for stuff I'd like to see, but is not actually supported by evidence from Freelancer or the developers' documents, that includes greater Australian influence in Bretonia, some sort of French influence, and an intact Sol.

It's well-established that there were eight sleeper ships. The three that were destroyed are of unknown origins, but the most likely nations are France, Italy, and Australia. It's generally assumed that the Italians moved onto the Hispania, which made its engines more prone to failure. I am of the opinion that the Australians moved onto the Bretonia. Like the Hispania, the Bretonia suffered engine problems durings the Exodus, although it wasn't completely sabotaged. This could point out that there were additional colonists on the Bretonia. If this is true, then it's likely that those colonists were the Australians.

Assuming that the Italians and the Australians made it out of Sol, it's likely that the French did as well. As for which sleeper ship they left on, I would point to the Rhineland being the best possible candidate. France and Germany have very strong relations today and if this continued in the future, it's likely that the French would be allowed passage on the Rhineland. I rule out Kusari since Kusari is xenophobic and I rule out Liberty since right now, the French and the Americans don't really get along too well.

I'd like to see an intact Sol in a potential Freelancer 2 mostly because I find the whole Nomad superweapon thing ludicrous. I also like the prospect of a resumption of the Alliance-Coalition War.

Freelancer 2 storyline? - Rodent - 01-26-2012

Well, in discovery, go to either the Nomad City in Newcastle or enter the dyson sphere in Major via the glitch.

Select it.

It shows you a trade lane blue bar, correct?

Think on it. Why would it need that? was probably meant to be used, the activation only ending Chapter 1 of the story.

Freelancer 2 storyline? - Hone - 01-27-2012

Well the obvious answer is retaking Sol.