Discovery Gaming Community
system elements off the grid - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: system elements off the grid (/showthread.php?tid=75625)

system elements off the grid - Ursus - 02-27-2012

As I understand it, the grid is just the center portion of the system, and it is possible to put things outside the grid. Is it? Couple of things I'm thinking about here. For one thing it might be neat to put guard faction stuff in areas of the system that are outside the grid. Like, head north through E1 for 100k and look for the guard station in orbit over the planet. Another thing is it might be interesting to fill an entire system with a nebula, rather than just have it be a small ball in the center of the system. Somet hings I think about when chasing pirates to the system wall

system elements off the grid - Daedric - 02-27-2012

I would assume it is possible, but why would you put a station that far out of the way? It would never get used and it only serves to waste time that could be better spent interacting with another player.

Just put them off the plane, above or below, throw some weapon platforms, etc etc.

Would be interesting for bases the development team 'hides' out there for explorers to find though.

system elements off the grid - Klaw117 - 02-27-2012

I think Ursus wants to replace guard systems with guard stations located in normal systems, but place them off the grid so that someone can't find them in OORP. If that's the case, I'm all for it. Guard systems are kind of unnecessary in my opinion.

' Wrote:I think Ursus wants to replace guard systems with guard stations located in normal systems, but place them off the grid so that someone can't find them in OORP. If that's the case, I'm all for it. Guard systems are kind of unnecessary in my opinion.
Yes pretty much. I don't like stuff off the plane in the grid because once you find it you always have it,, so it's only kind of mysterious once. Put it off the grid so you have to find it everytime. It's not like guard stations are hot-spots or anything, just put a big planet out there and put the station next to it.

Also just the fact that most of the systems are dead space. Go out 300k and look back, the whole "system" is jammed into a cluster

system elements off the grid - farmerman - 02-27-2012

As an example, isn't the wacky nomadland part of Newcastle off the map? So it should be possible to do so.

system elements off the grid - Xoria - 02-27-2012

Yes it's possible to a certain extent. It's also possible to make a base invisible to both nav map and scanners permanently, even after you've docked there. Just try to find Airdrie Hideout, twice.

system elements off the grid - ryoken - 02-27-2012

' Wrote:Yes it's possible to a certain extent. It's also possible to make a base invisible to both nav map and scanners permanently, even after you've docked there. Just try to find Airdrie Hideout, twice.

As he said here. But there is already a few bases you cannot see on map after detected, and Casinni is an utter failure. So why screw systems up even more. All this is doing is ruining gameplay, and giveing elitest, and vets advantages over the average player, and new players.
It will not stop those who really want to find them, as Companion will still show them. I have seen this done on other servers for wrecks. It is just a pain in the ass. Does not improve gameplay in anyway.
People want bases off the grid? wait til player bases come out, and put yours there. NPC bases should stay in grid, and IMO stay within 20K of plane.

' Wrote:Yes it's possible to a certain extent. It's also possible to make a base invisible to both nav map and scanners permanently, even after you've docked there. Just try to find Airdrie Hideout, twice.
It gets added to the navmap if you are friendly to the Lane Hackers, and stays there if your rep changes away from them. More accurate is there's not a lot of cross traffic in Alberta, nevermind that part of Alberta, so half of it is the ~too far out there to go lookin for it, unless you need to get to it for something, the other half is that it's hidden in the cloud and unless you are friendly rep (and it shows up in the navmap) you can fly right past and never know it.

' Wrote:It will not stop those who really want to find them, as Companion will still show them. I have seen this done on other servers for wrecks. It is just a pain in the ass. Does not improve gameplay in anyway. People want bases off the grid? wait til player bases come out, and put yours there. NPC bases should stay in grid, and IMO stay within 20K of plane.
Schatten Research Facility and Battleship Koblonz in Frankfurt is a good example of the opposite style. Everybody can see it, every noob flies right up to it and dies to the minefield and/or weapons fire. Not really usable as a secret anything. Maybe use some of the empty space and move it off the grid a few K. People can still fly out there and see it, but you'd need a reason to do it (which may include boredom)

Actually I'm not proposing anything, just asking a question.

system elements off the grid - Not Espi - 02-28-2012

The Green Dwarf in Kappa is 400k off-center, so ... yeah.