Discovery Gaming Community
Practicing with guns - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Discovery RP 24/7 General Discussions (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: Practicing with guns (/showthread.php?tid=76313)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Practicing with guns - Luka - 03-10-2012

So decided to give a try to practicing with guns since everyone started telling me to get them and ignored everytime I told them the ludicrous proportions of how much I fail at aiming (I miss battleships that are standing still, even stations), just ask the LN guy I just meet in Conn (lol he even said"why are you missing me when I'm standing still??! =@@@")

I still wanna use missiles though, I've never ever won a fight with guns, and first time I ever won was spamming sidewinder.

So does anyone here know of someone that can teach me or something? Or any faction that normally practices around?

I'm REALLY sure I will just get worse at it and go back to launching fireworks at people.

Practicing with guns - Zeb Harley - 03-10-2012

We can give it a try if you like.

Practicing with guns - Jimothy - 03-10-2012

This might sound stupid, and I don't mean to sound sarcy, but how about playing through (some of) the vanilla single player (again) using guns?

Practicing with guns - Zeb Harley - 03-10-2012

' Wrote:This might sound stupid, and I don't mean to sound sarcy, but how about playing through (some of) the vanilla single player (again) using guns?

First we need to be certain why he doesn't hit. After finding the problem we should be able to find some resolution.

' Wrote:This might sound stupid, and I don't mean to sound sarcy, but how about playing through (some of) the vanilla single player (again) using guns?

Fighting in the campaign is diferent than here, and the campaign was a bit boring, only ship I used was defender (It's my favourite ship man!, it looks really cool! and cool>strong!)

Practicing with guns - ProwlerPC - 03-10-2012

Well play style is different depending on the RoF of the gun. The way you fly to keep optimal performance with 8.33's is a pretty different then when flying with 2.00's. The values of the DPS you find for the guns represents %100 accuracy with no pause to it's RoF. Although I don't know anyone capable of maitaining %100 accuracy for the entirety of a gun's uninteruppted RoF I can tell you from experience that it's easier to get closer to the DPS ratings with 2.00's then it is for 8.33's because there really is no way you can keep the high rate of fire of the lasers to keep landing on the enemy without pausing and readjusting your aim while the 2.00's offer a bit more time to adjust your aim before the next shot (ie: you aren't skipping as many shots for every movement as you would with 8.33's). In the end, over time, players who get comfortable with one type will have different flying patterns then one flying the other. Myself, I have been using and practicing the 8.33s my entire time here on Disco.

I've never setup any drills in our faction concerning Fighter guns. SNAC training was a big thing for us in the past because if you spend enough time practicing the payoff is pretty darn good. We would play "tag" with each other. One person was "it" and would have to chase all the rest till he SNAC'd someone's shields. Then that person was "it". The remaining GMG members from this time are all capable of popping Fighters with their SNAC quite reliably.

' Wrote:I've never setup any drills in our faction concerning Fighter guns. SNAC training was a big thing for us in the past because if you spend enough time practicing the payoff is pretty darn good. We would play "tag" with each other. One person was "it" and would have to chase all the rest till he SNAC'd someone's shields. Then that person was "it". The remaining GMG members from this time are all capable of popping Fighters with their SNAC quite reliably.

:shok:...If I was there I'm pretty sure that would end with me still being "it" when the starting guy tags me:lol:

Actually, I've practiced with SCRA and RHA, with SCRA only thing I ever did was evade, and with RHA aiming....only got a single frag when I was standing still and I got lucky and got a hit with a MR when the other guy stood still for a bit, then I never got a frag again.......

And actually never ever ever won a single pvp when I was using guns, first pvp win ever was with a sabre fitted with a sidewinder, I spammed it and was able to lower the RM guy enough to make him run away, after that never got another win until I started using missiles:unsure:

Practicing with guns - Tachyon - 03-10-2012

You might just want to raid Gamma everyday on a Kraken-Sabre with using guns only. At some point you will get used to them.

Additionaly, don't -always- trust the crosshair, sometimes it's missleading.

' Wrote:You might just want to raid Gamma everyday on a Kraken-Sabre with using guns only. At some point you will get used to them.

Additionaly, don't -always- trust the crosshair, sometimes it's missleading.

Oh forgot to add that here
I HATE SABRES!
I actaully had my worst time in PVPs when I was using a sabre, also OC hates me and getting used to kraken doesn't seem a very good idea to using my main:unsure:

' Wrote:First we need to be certain why he doesn't hit. After finding the problem we should be able to find some resolution.

Yeah, my problem is that I always overshoot when aiming: When I try, my hand goes too much or too little, or goes to a side and never sticks on top the crosshair.
Also tha I almost always have to evade since if I don't I get all their shots, can't do both things at the same time, my fighting style is panic-based, I'm always evading because of that, but somehow using missiles seem to work pretty good with that:crazy:

Practicing with guns - ProwlerPC - 03-10-2012

Well for the most part, in general, your veteran enemy is probably trying to land as close to the optimal DPS his guns can do. If your not actively working to do the same while denying him that chance you will be outpaced in these long drawn out dogfights. The winners of dogfights is usually the one who has made the least mistakes so don't practice trying to be fancy, instead just practice to keep your reticle on the enemy.

edit add: note that I previously mentioned that I'm an 8.33 user which also means I'm shooting projectiles traveling at 750 m/s so I've never experienced this "don't trust your crosshairs" problem that I imagine are associated with slower 600m/s 2.00's.