Discovery Gaming Community
Trust - The Priceless Commodity Everyone Needs - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Discovery RP 24/7 General Discussions (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: Trust - The Priceless Commodity Everyone Needs (/showthread.php?tid=7639)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Trust - The Priceless Commodity Everyone Needs - marauder - 04-10-2008

' Wrote:1) Make yourself known on the forums. This is the first and most important task that you must undertake. Without a presence on the forums, do not expect people to know who you are and what you do. You can have brilliant ingame RP flying a Liberty Assualt Cruiser, but if people don't know your RP, they will see you as another PvP-hungry Capwhore. The forums allow you to make you and your RP known to others.

We've all been guilty of making assumptions. Might be a good time to stop.

Quote:2) Before you begin RPing at all, make sure that your RP is logical, and that you are not powergaming. Look over the rumors on the planets well, and read over some older RPs. Remember that you are a member of a much larger community, and that your RP cannot just encroach on the RP of others. For instance, don't just buy a battleship and decide that you are going to siege New London.

I know I've done that at least <strike>once</strike> three or four times.

Quote:3) Start off with basic, beginner level RP. When you become more comfortable with RPing in general, move on to more complex RP. An example of a beginner level RP would be, for instance, a smuggling character or trader. An RP for more experienced RPers would be something like a pirate or a Xeno. Of course, joining a faction makes everything easier. But don't feel pressured to do so. The game is called Freelancer for a reason.;)

Basics be good, basics make up the building blocks, building blocks make up big ass monument to your time here.

Quote:4) And perhaps most importantly, have a good attitude. Be respectful and polite, and you will be respected. Even if you do get bumped around harshly in by some of the older members of the community, keep your cool. I admit to being harsh to many new members, using the excuse that their RP is foolish, or nonsensical. But frankly, it's cruel and uncalled for.

Defiantely agree, I will do my utmost to leave my cynical, hard-nosed, psychopathic qualities outside of the game, skype and chat.

Quote:
While it is important for new players to earn trust, it is also important for the established members of the community to dispense trust. We cannot simply keep people at bay at our doors forever. Teach them, and guide them in. Give them a chance.

See above.

Quote:Even if you find this an overly idealistic piece of junk...try it out. You might be surprised.

Idealists keep people thinking, without them we'd be knee deep in skulls by now.

' Wrote:The only thing I must feel needs to be added is the community must treat all new people, and everyone else for that matter, with the courtesy and respect every single human being deserves to be treated.

There are threads that can be pointed to where such was not present at all.

That only hurts the community. It takes very little effort to be courteous, respectful, and pleasant, no matter what you are trying to say. In fact, when you do so, more people will listen, and view what you are saying in a positive manner.

Some of the flaming and attacks I have seen around here will destroy the server if they continue. I have seen it happen right before my eyes.

So for the sake of the community at large, everyone needs to treat everyone else with he courtesy and respect every single human being deserves to be treated. No matter what you think of them or what they are doing, everyone here is here for one thing, to have fun playing a game.

It would definately help if more people remembered that this is a game.

Trust - The Priceless Commodity Everyone Needs - Nevermore - 04-10-2008

Thank you elgato, you made my day :)

Trust - The Priceless Commodity Everyone Needs - Stoat - 04-10-2008

Great post, elgato.

Signed in triplicate , sent in, sent back, queried, lost, found, subjected to public enquiry, lost again, and finally buried in soft peat for three months and recycled as firelighters.

Trust - The Priceless Commodity Everyone Needs - Jihadjoe - 04-10-2008

It took me a long time (in my eyes) to learn to RP on this erver, and part of it was gaining the trust of a faction and eventualy joining.

I was taught that being the biggest, badest, meanest Mofo in sirius is not what RP is about (fortunately before I went and bought a capship). This is a valuable lesson for anyone I think, its about sacrifcine your own power for the betterment of the game as a whole.

Nice post man.

/totaly signed.

@Stoat, how very, erm... Douglas Adams of you. Prostetnic Vogon Neltz would be proud.

Trust - The Priceless Commodity Everyone Needs - ioha - 04-10-2008

Very, very true.
People out there, listen to elgato:)

Trust - The Priceless Commodity Everyone Needs - me_b_kevin - 04-10-2008

' Wrote:4) And perhaps most importantly, have a good attitude. Be respectful and polite, and you will be respected. Even if you do get bumped around harshly in by some of the older members of the community, keep your cool. I admit to being harsh to many new members, using the excuse that their RP is foolish, or nonsensical. But frankly, it's cruel and uncalled for.

i agree this is the most important thing. the old saying "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all." goes a long way. i see a lot of rude responses to polls and threads that just shouldn't even be posted, i'm sure i've been guilty of it as well but a simple reread and a little consideration wouldn't hurt before you hit that post button.

so i say:

-Think before you speak/type: Being polite earns respect faster than you can imagine.

-Respond when spoken to: i'm not sure if this one is just something that i deal with but i have a hard time getting people to respond to PM's especially on the forums. i'm guilty of not responding to PM's in-game and i'm going to make a conscience effort to do better. because being purposely ignored drives me crazy. i'd understand if i was sending meaningless messages but i never send anything that doesn't have a purpose....well, except to my buddies and that's cause i'm a goober :P

sorry for ranting

Trust - The Priceless Commodity Everyone Needs - Equinox - 04-10-2008

Good post.

Trust - The Priceless Commodity Everyone Needs - Edge - 04-10-2008

Well said. Wise post;)

Trust - The Priceless Commodity Everyone Needs - I_m_rdy - 04-10-2008

I feel like a bad spirit after I posted that "proposal"... I'm so sorry that I did it...

Anyway, this is not about me anymore. Good post, Elgato. Wise words indeed. I never can integrate such wisdom into my words as I lack this wisdom.

Trust - The Priceless Commodity Everyone Needs - Epholl - 04-10-2008

Greatly told.