Discovery Gaming Community
Trust - The Priceless Commodity Everyone Needs - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Discovery RP 24/7 General Discussions (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: Trust - The Priceless Commodity Everyone Needs (/showthread.php?tid=7639)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Trust - The Priceless Commodity Everyone Needs - Angelfire - 04-10-2008

Y' know... I still browse these forums as I enjoy the majority of this community immensely, this is the only forum I bounce to when I need a breather at work.

*clears throat and climbs on soapbox*

I popped in tonight and browsed a bit, saw this amazing post, browsed some more and saw the crazy amount of you that posted in my farewell thread. Bottom line: I am blown away!

Two months ago i found freelancer disco and found exactly what i was looking for: A mature community whose majority communicate sensitively and maturely with one another!

Plus the mod is bloody awesome!

It wasnt until I joined the Angels that I started feeling someting that I hadnt felt in a very long time, it's something we all crave and something I give out liberally to everyone I meet. It's called unconditional acceptance.

I have plenty of respect in real life, an unbelievably awesome wife and the coolest daughter money can buy (heh heh) so when I say these things it is not because I need or seek attention, it is because I mean them with all my heart!
Here you have something awesome, here you have a place where you can take your shoes off, breath out and just laugh or chat your night/day away with people who don't know your real life exploits or failures and frankly don't care.
Here they 'get' you, they see your soul and they respond to you accordingly! By simply being yourself, not worrying about what you drive or wear, not worrying about pimples or pot bellies. here is where your true beauty has a chance to show itself, because here that is all we can see.

Here a school kid can play with a world class chef, chat with an astrophysicist (dang!) Debate with a politician and impress a CEO...

But here you can hurt them just as effectively.

Elgato has posted a thread here that is much more than freelancer discovery, it is a life principle that is central to any success in any area, from marriage through to business - if you cannot be trusted with my money or my heart, you cannot be trusted with any of the rewards I have to offer!

People who shun the imporatnce of earned trust, shun humanity and inevitably end up alone wondering why the whole world is against them.
It's because the world is full of humans my friend, humans who thrive off acceptance and are dying to trust you with their thoughts and feelings.
Your respect for them determines their level of trust in you, for what you respect comes toward you and what you disrespect moves away from you.

and yes... you can still be an emo rocker with hair in your eyes, tattoos on your privates and still be trustworthy:)

Well done Elgato, when...er....IF...I grow up I wanna be like you!

This kind of thread and it's responses make it even harder for me to stay away from disco...:D

*sigh*

BEAUTIFUL!

Thanks Elgato *salute* Why? and everyone else here for the amazing people you are!

I am but one of many who can swing past these forums and feel great to know y' all!

Great Post!

Andrew

*falls off soapbox, breaks leg, gets emo, starts rock band, gets famous, does drugs, loses everything. learns valuable life lesson. climbs back on soapbox*

Trust - The Priceless Commodity Everyone Needs - TKShadow - 04-13-2008

Of any forum I've been to, I think this is the first time I've seen a post of this kind. As a newbie who joined the server...5? 6 days ago and one who registered on the forums yesterday, I am very impressed. (Which just adds a pebble to the scale)

Trust - The Priceless Commodity Everyone Needs - AdamantineFist - 04-18-2008

Quite an excellent post. Well done, well said. Something everyone should read and understand.

Trust - The Priceless Commodity Everyone Needs - Col_Lodden - 04-27-2008

I'd just like to add my endorsement to Elgato's post. Great sentiments that we all should try to live by inside the community and in RL too.

Power to yer elbow mate!

Good to see the respnse from others too!

Trust - The Priceless Commodity Everyone Needs - Boss - 04-27-2008

This Thread Is Now Endorsed By The SPAM. (Spamming People's Alliance Manager)

So /signed.

Trust - The Priceless Commodity Everyone Needs - Dorokusai - 10-16-2008

I'm also still a noob on this server and haven't had that much contact yet....but anyway, great post!!!:)absolutely true!

Trust - The Priceless Commodity Everyone Needs - Lt.Cmdr.Olsav - 10-16-2008

Gravedig much lol

but really it is a topical issue, trust.

looking around its not only making sure others trust us, but also that we trust our admins, and we trust our fellow players.

the current plague of rule lawyer shows a lack of trust and respect between members of the community that small infractions and other things of that nature get blown out of proportion because of either: misinterpretation, alleged favouritism by admins (akumabito im looking at you) or sheer dislike.

honestly we are here to have a good time, but remember that we all have to trust and respect eachother for this community to grow and prosper as i have seen it do for the past two years.

Trust - The Priceless Commodity Everyone Needs - Akumabito - 10-16-2008

' Wrote:the current plague of rule lawyer shows a lack of trust and respect between members of the community that small infractions and other things of that nature get blown out of proportion because of either: misinterpretation, alleged favouritism by admins (akumabito im looking at you) or sheer dislike.

All I will say is in response to that is that trust and mutual respect has to start at the top and work down. Here it does not. Here my sanction was celebrated on the forums, stonewalled when I asked for any explanation of a reason or an appeal (apparently I got two appeals, but I had no input or discussion with either), and finally, after months Del told me it was basically payback for my posting on the forums.

In my sig right now is an insult directed at me, I had so many in my sig at one time that I was told to edit them out, that my sig was too long. What happened to the rule against flames on the forum?

This is a pretty good server, but I can't trust the factions not to try to bully me out of roles I try to play. I can't trust the admins to be fair. And I can't trust many here not to call me an idiot because you don't like my opinion, knowing it will be overlooked, or that I'll be blamed for inciting you to breaking the rules like I was when eppy posted a couple over the top direct flames..

Let trust start at the top. Faction leaders who trust me to fly a destroyer without demanding a ridiculous registration. Admins I can trust to be fair.

I'm all for trust here.

EDIT:

I'm not going to turn a sticky into another back and forth post flood. I've made my point. The admins don't do most of the sanctions for server stability.

Trust comes from the top down. It has to start with the admins and faction leaders deciding to trust the rest of the players.

Why was kuraine excused from a sanction when he was using a speedmod on the server? They trusted him that it was accidental, yet they constantly deny anyone else that trust. Heck, I'm just waiting for one of my many disconnects to happen during combat so they can sanction me for F1, even though I have never F1'd in combat in years of playing FL.

As far as bygones being bygones, that can only happen when there is a belief that things have changed. Otherwise it's not bygone, is it?

Trust - The Priceless Commodity Everyone Needs - Lt.Cmdr.Olsav - 10-16-2008

I think Akuma your missing the point. There are always mistakes but let bygones be bygones and focus more on the present and how the community can be improved and strengthened.

And mutual respect and all is a bottom up sort of thing. its like grassroots movement of kindness.

the admins only need to have server stability in their mind, its the players job to create the environment of trust needed for a good time.

Trust - The Priceless Commodity Everyone Needs - Yuva - 01-03-2009

This is what everyone should follow in game great post......