Discovery Gaming Community
What new forum categories do we need? - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Rules & Requests (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Site & Forum Feedback (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: What new forum categories do we need? (/showthread.php?tid=7701)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

What new forum categories do we need? - Igiss - 04-12-2008

Since we've recently hit 200,000 posts across the board, it's time for a question... do you have any ideas about new categories that are necessary for this forum? Or, to be more precise, what forums/subforums may be split into two or more to decrease the load, and how should they be split?

Post any suggestions you might have in this thread.

What new forum categories do we need? - Dopamino - 04-12-2008

Maybe split flood into sections like "Humor", "Rants", and "Other."

What new forum categories do we need? - kingvaillant - 04-12-2008

a sub-forum for factions recruitment would be nice, I think
----------
maybe a tutorial section where new members can see all the topics that could help them?(like rules, Dboy's tutorials, Xoria's tutorials, etc,,, everything that could be useful for a newbie

What new forum categories do we need? - Reverend Del - 04-12-2008

A Faction Feedback forum, so those who choose to can keep their threads there and the rest of us can find them without trawling through the Faction main forum section.

What new forum categories do we need? - Doom - 04-12-2008

i agree with faction recruitment sub forum...and that should be in Role play section, so new recruits start role playing from day one...

Developers forums should have special part for each type of modifications:

Ships, commodities, systems, equipment, etc...

Also, if pvp server is down maybe removing that forum entirely...

General discussion could use sub forums for all happy birthdays, and maybe few more categories...

What new forum categories do we need? - Xoria - 04-12-2008

1. I salute the previous ideas.
2. I also think that the RP subforum should be moved to a higher profile position in the forum overall. Moving it so that it is in third place here : http://discoverygc.com/forums/index.php?showforum=17
instead of fifth, would be an improvement, I think. People tend to check things top to bottom, and this would get more people reading the RP forum instead of getting bogged down in the "debates" in the RP 24/7 Server subforum.
3. I also think that we really need a place where people can discuss whatever whacky faction idea that they come up with. One subforum for actual proposals that submit the 500M bond, and another one where people can brainstorm and get feedback.
The current situation has people dropping faction ideas all over the place while saying "this is not a faction proposal" just so that it doesn't get locked, when clearly it IS a faction proposal that they want input on before they go anywhere with it. Most new faction ideas need lots of feedback before they can be anywhere close to serious, and this forum and community ought to be the place where people can get it, BEFORE they blow 500M on an idea that will go nowhere.
500M to dissuade people from giving the Admins tons of proposals to review is fine, but the rest of us ought to be able to use this forum as a sounding board for faction ideas at the same time.
4. A subforum for posting questions about roleplaying in general, ships, weapons, etc could also be helpful. Putting it in the 24/7 Server subforum seems like the best place for it. Call it "Questions for the Community" subforum.
5. The battle time slots in the Events forum need their own subforum. As it is now, they completely drown out any other threads that are posted there, which is why we are seeing people posting event threads in the 24/7 Server subforum.
6. Mal proposed a subforum in the RP subforum to contain the "watering hole"/ "bar" threads that simulate the on station bars around Sirius. This idea received huge support.
7. And last but not least, a subforum within the RP subforum that is strictly dedicated to diplomatic matters and "council" sessions might be helpful.
Seven is the perfect number, so I'll quit there.

What new forum categories do we need? - gauliez - 04-13-2008

Well, when I first came to see this forum, I must admit I have been lost for at least one week, before understanding more or less how it was working.
I definitely think some categories are not obvious, and result in people posting their questions anywhere and certainly not at the best place.

I think a good thing would be to keep distinct RP/OoRP Forums. RP forums could be Faction RP and RP Forum, and out of RP could help being redesigned, with a Server Rules, Feedback/Questions/Ideas and a General Discussions for the RP Server. PvP being down might indeed be deleted ?
Then, the subforums could be :

Faction RP
- Message Dumps Subforum
- Unofficial Factions message dumps, and maybe Bar/Watering Hole as well. My idea would be that unofficial factions, or groups, don't really have the necessary infrastructure to get their own communication net, so their message dumps could consists in places where they gather to exchange their achievements, such as bars, and so we could group those two.
- Xoria's subforum idea on Diplomatic matters sounds really good to me, and could boost up this side of RP on forum
- A Recruitment sub-forum
- A Roll Call Subforum ? Though Rollcall might lack visibility in it...

RP Forum
- Biographies
- Stories
- Events, as events are/should be not only for factions
- Employments, though I was looking for a better name and couldn't find it
- Sirius Stock Exchange

Server Rules
Same as now, except RP related questions would be better posted in...

Feedback/Questions/Ideas
that would be the forum to discuss OoRP the RP stuff that need to be discussed.
- Feedbacks on Factions subforum
- Feedbacks on RP/Events subforum
- Factions Creation request, as it involves a lot of OoRP
and then, the ideas, questions could just be in the main part of forum
- Maybe an Ideas on Faction Creation as Xoria was proposing, to get input before the 500 mils step ?

General Discussions
- Help subforum
- Newcomers subforum, where you would find all these great posts the community made, from Attention Disco Rookies to DBoy tutorials and Unseelie's Trust post, well anything relevant to somebody frikkin' lost that want to get as quickly as possible into the game without browsing the forum for 3 hours to gather all the interesting posts.
In the main forum would be general discussions about the mod, about Rping, and so on.
- would probably put the servers announcements here too, as a subforum
- Character name change here as well

Ooh woops, seems like I just proposed to scrap everything and build it anew...:$ Sorry about it, I was just thinking about it for quite some time now, so that I used this thread to gather all my thoughts. But I guess it would just be far too much work compared to what you asked, and maybe not make the whole thing much clearer. So I would just say pick up the idea that seems clever (if any:)), and throw the rest.

What new forum categories do we need? - Dopamino - 04-13-2008

A note that non-moderators can't post in the "Announcements" forum would be nice too.

What new forum categories do we need? - GhostFace - 04-13-2008

I agree with the Recruitment forum..

What new forum categories do we need? - DBoy1612 - 04-13-2008

Agreeing with everything said here already, brilliant ideas. The recruitment forum will make it much easier for factions and getting new players to join up. Tutorials forum will work great, as my tutorials are spread out all over the pinned topics of the forums, they can be hard to find at times.:laugh: