Discovery Gaming Community
cargopods - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: cargopods (/showthread.php?tid=7713)

Pages: 1 2

cargopods - Jinx - 04-13-2008

it was mentioned several times - the wish to get more customized cargopods. - got a passenger pod and a military vehicle pod.

both are extremely low polygons

[Image: cargopodsall.jpg]

the vehicle pod has 80 polygons only, the passenger pod something like 40 - i m not sure how much detail such a pod can have. -

so those are just examples of how a pod could look like. - of course, the vehicle pod does not show the thousands of vehicles hauled, but rather a selection of a few - and the passenger pod is only a section of a liner, sort of ( not imaginable how you d put 5000 passengers into 4 of those )

the question is - does the server has the resources to allow some more customized pods? - of yes, how many polygons could they have - ... and which ones should be made.

edit: they re both looking like rubbish - but you get the idea how a custom pod might look like. - i think about liquid tank pods, a detailed passenger pod, a more detailed vehicle pod ( maybe with mech units rather than tanks? ) - well, thats the three that i can think of right now. - we do have normal cargo pods for raw materials and radioactive / radiating cargo allready.

cargopods - Unseelie - 04-13-2008

While those are amazing....I'd really much rather simple logos and re-textures, long before we get the specialty resource cargopods...

They're awesome, btw.
Frigging awesome....seem a bit wide...

ah, yes - the sizes are a bit distorted ( happened when i squeezed them into the picture frame in photoshop ) - when i modelled them, i took the green cargopod as a referrence.

edit: about retexuring .... the generic FL skins are pretty high quality. very much even. its very hard to achieve the same quality with self made texture maps. - it can easily look a bit strange when you have a well textured train.... but poorly looking cargopods then. ( we have all the logos of the houses there that can be ripped from the original texture maps, - but i haven t found any logo from the cooperations for example )

cargopods - Equinox - 04-13-2008

They look great, nice work Jinx.

cargopods - Guest - 04-13-2008

Jinx, if you could tell me which cargo pod model/texture transports and train use (can't find it myself), I'll see if i can whip something up. I specialized in logos at one point, after all.

when its mostly about applying a logo & appropriate colour to the cargopods, - i think it should be the major cooperations / state owned cooperations that are seen commonly throughout the inner sphere.

- BMM ( red/bordeaux on black )
- BowEx ( red/bordeaux on black )
- Planetform ( i think its green on black )
- Kishiro ( no idea what colour they have )
- Samura ( no idea what colour they have )
- ALG ( saw a website having ALG as orange on grey )
- GMG ( green on black )
- Republican ( gree/white on black )
- RepEx ( green/blue/white on black )
- Ageira ( Blue on white )
- Synth Food ( something greenish, but never seen it anywhere )
- Universal ( no idea what colour they have )

* does IMG has transports?

i think thats it ( or at least i cannot think of more ). - some of the major cooperations do not use transports, like interspace and spa and cruise. but maybe spa and cruise should have a logo, too for passenger pods.

just a simple logo on the appropriate house specific hull would be nice ( or just the logo, i can apply it onto the hull panels ) .... the technique would be easy enough. - i d just take a drape cargopod or a blue/red/green one apply the logo onto its side and colour it to what the cooperation colours are.

since allmost eveyone has a better computer than i have - i can add some more details maybe, too. ... cause when it runs smoothly on my computer, none of oyu should have a problem:)( and cargopods vanish from sight after like 2k anyway ... much like projectiles... maybe the visibility could be changed to that of the ship )

something i d like to do is to "fix" the size of them. - right now, they are single container boxes. - i d like them to have a size of a regular container, but being stacked up to the size they have now. ( bit like the whale ) - that means .... maybe 200 - 300 polygons / container. i am pretty sure that NO computer would even go down by 1 fps ..... but you never know.

cargopods - ioha - 04-13-2008

On the above list of house corporations, you could add:

- DSE (probably same as Ageira, blue on white)
- Daumann (thought they have the orange on grey...)
- Krueger (no clue about them, maybe orange on grey as well?)

On another note, I love those cargopods above, the passenger pod looks pretty awesome to me. Only thing is the Liberty logo on it, maybe that could be replaced with an Orbital Spa & Cruise logo if we get one:)

cargopods - Etaphreven - 04-13-2008

Those things are amazing, Jinx. Good work!

cargopods - Xing - 04-13-2008

great work Jinx. Love the passenger one. Military vehicle one is a bit hard to distinguish though. but its fine.

cargopods - skoko - 04-13-2008

Mhm ... looks great.. Good work Jinx