Discovery Gaming Community
[Outdated]Some explanation of Jumpdrive, Cloaking and Survey module. - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Welcome (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=399)
+--- Forum: Help & Support (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+---- Forum: Tutorials & Tools (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=178)
+---- Thread: [Outdated]Some explanation of Jumpdrive, Cloaking and Survey module. (/showthread.php?tid=77431)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

[Outdated]Some explanation of Jumpdrive, Cloaking and Survey module. - Discovery Freelancer Tutorials - 04-04-2012

The following data may not be accurate of the actual configuration currently used by the Discovery Freelancer RP 24/7 server. Take this data with a pinch of salt.

*Minor update 07/09/2012*
*Reading from Daedric's thread, it seems the accuracy of the jumpdrives was modified, hence, the accuracy test section has been cut out.*

General mechanics

Coordinates
To get the coordinates for the point you are on, you use the '/survey' command (no quotes). It will start surveying your current location (thanks, (Cdr)ThorOfAsgard, for point out that I forgot to mention *what* it actually surveys).
When you complete /survey (it will show the progress in the chat), you still seem to be able to move while /survey'ing, without it disrupting the process:
[Image: Efnzu.png]

Coordinate entry should be done before charging and jumping, but, if I remember correctly, you can also set the coordinates while charging, but it is simpler to do in this order:
1. Set coordinates via /setcoords;
2. Charge away via /charge;
3. Jump away via /jump;

Entry COMPLETE:
[Image: hN4kg.png]

Undocking as well as a successful /jump reset the coordinates and you have to enter them again
Also, you get a message "WARNING NO JUMP COORDINATES" if you use /charge without any coordinates.

[Image: Fqm0q.png]

Blind jump
When no coordinates are entered, you jump into a *completely random* system.

Charging and stuffies
When you type /charge, you begin charging your jumpdrive, the progress will be shown in lower left corner (chat) in green.
When your charge reaches 100% (it announces "Charge complete" in voice as well, I believe), you can type /jump to perform a jump to coordinates or a blind jump, if no correct coordinates are entered. The jump takes a few seconds to actually jump after typing /jump.
Regarding cloaks, you also need 10 seconds to turn invisible. Basically, after the warmup time has passed (/cloak), you start becoming invisible, it takes 10 seconds to complete that. During this time you will fade out, your engine lights will still be very visible until those 10 seconds pass.

Slots
Cloaks occupy your countermeasure slot. So if your vehicle doesn't have CM slot, then you can't mount a cloak.
Hyperspace Survey Module and Jump Drive Module require Equipment Type 1 (visible under External Equipment (the place where you can see your shield slot)) slot to mount them on.

Reference data on modules:
*EDIT* Some stats I dug out in DiscoDir/DATA/EQUIPMENT/st_equip.ini (/weapon_equip.ini) + FL Stat as well as DiscoDir/EXE/flhook_plugins/jump.cfg (cloak.cfg) for the requirements and fuel usage (assuming those are the settings Discovery Freelancer RP 24/7 uses):
The tests of coordinate accuracy have been move to end of post, under section "Survey coordinate accuracy test data" to make it less painful, if you are only looking for raw data

Hyperspace Survey Module Mk1
Needs 800 cargo space to mount
Requires minimum of 100,000 powercore to start (/survey)
Runs for 100 seconds, consuming either of the following : 6 MOX/7 Oil/7 H-Fuel/8 Deuterium/8 Helium-3 per second.
After it finishes, it gives you out the coordinates, look for format below.
Presumably coordinates stay active for 7 days.
Accuracy = 5.

Hyperspace Survey Module Mk2
Needs 600 cargo space to mount
Also requires minimum of 100,000 powercore to start (/survey)
Runs for 100 seconds, consuming either of the following : 6 MOX/7 Oil/7 H-Fuel/8 Deuterium/8 Helium-3 per second.
Difference is that they have a higher accuracy (4 times the accuracy of Mk1) value, whatever it means.
Presumably coordinates stay active for 30 days.
Accuracy = 20.

Hyperspace Survey Module Mk3
Needs 400 cargo space to mount
Requires minimum of 100,000 powercore to start (/survey)
Runs for 1000 (yes, that number is taken from the config file) seconds, consuming either of the following: 6 MOX/7 Oil/7 H-Fuel/8 Deuterium/8 Helium-3 per second.
Accuracy is 1.5 times the accuracy of Mk2.
Presumably coordinates stay active for 30 days.
Accuracy = 30.

!WARNING!
Jump drives II, when tested on a test server without changing any of the config files that were included with the installation of Discovery, continued to consume fuel (H-Fuel was used) even after the jump drive charged at the same rate it uses when it charges until you use the /jump command, then it stops using it. If you run out of fuel after the charge completes but before you jump, the jumpdrive charging "fails". I assume Jump Drives III and IV have the same problem.
!WARNING!
(Sorry for the crappy warning format...)

Jump Drive Module Series II
Needs 900 cargo space, single ship jump
Needs a minimum of 3,600,000 powercore to use (Battlecruiser class at least + Order Light Carrier)
Takes 60 seconds to /charge, consuming either of the following : 6 MOX/7 Oil/7 H-Fuel/8 Deuterium/8 Helium-3 per second.

Jump Drive Module Series III
Needs 900 cargo space, single ship jump
Minimum of 7,000,000 powercore required to use (Zoner Carrier, Rheiland Carrier, Osiris, Dragon Battleship, Bounty Hunter Battleship are the minimum required)
Takes 30 seconds to /charge, using either of the following : 12 MOX/14 Oil/14 H-Fuel/16 Deuterium/16 Helium-3 per second.

Jump Drive Module Series IV
Requires 1200 cargo space, multiple ship jump*
Minimum of 7,000,000 powercore required to use (Zoner Carrier, Rheiland Carrier, Osiris, Dragon Battleship, Bounty Hunter Battleship are the minimum required)
Takes 200 seconds to /charge, using either of the following : 12 MOX/14 Oil/14 H-Fuel/16 Deuterium/16 Helium-3 per second.
The Field value (I assume the range of ships to jump with you) is 300 (I will assume those are meters).

*Part of the description taken from FL Stat:
"...It also will force other ships near to the jumping ship into the wormhole and so can be used to move fleets of capital ships."

Cloak in action (Kudos to Garuda for the video!).

Light Cloaking Device
Takes 25 cargo space
Maximum Cargo Hold size of ship it can work on : 120
Time to cloak after activation (/cloak): 3 seconds.
Cloak uses either one of 1 MOX/1 Promethene/1 H-Fuel/1 Deuterium/1 Helium-3 per second of operation.

Cloaking Device MK2
Takes 200 cargo space
Maximum Cargo Hold of ship it will work on : 900
Time to cloak after activation (/cloak): 20 seconds.
Cloak uses either one of 1 MOX/2 Promethene/2 H-Fuel/2 Deuterium/2 Helium-3 per second of operation.

Cloaking Device MK2 Advanced
Takes 450 cargo space
No limit on Cargo Hold
Time to cloak after activation (/cloak): 60 seconds.
Cloak uses either one of 1 MOX/3 Promethene/3 H-Fuel/3 Deuterium/3 Helium-3 per second of operation.

Q&A

1. How far can you go on a jumpdrive (is it in-system only or between systems as well)?
1A. Jump is either blind (random system, if you didn't put correct coordinates via /setcoord) or to a previously /survey'ed coordinate, you cannot simply choose which system to jump. No conventional limit to jumping distance.

2. Is there any kind of notification about jumpdrive enabling, for example, RM wants to assault New York with a big force, is there any way for Liberty affilated factions to know of that happening?
2A. No notification to others about someone doing a jump.

3. What kind of Jumpdrive is mountable on what?
3A. See cargo requirements below.

(Kudos to Nosferath for the answers to cloaking section)
4. What does cloaking actually do? Does it decreases your detection range, makes you completely invisible, leaves a distorted siluette around your ship?
4A. You're totally invisible (you, your engine, your thurster), both on screen and on scanners. However, if someone knows where you're at, and fires at you, you'll still get damaged, and fire does not go through you. You can also ram stuff.

5. Can you cloak at any time you have the cloak+fuel, or it needs to be "charged"?
5A. The larger the cloak, the more it takes to cloak. Fighter cloak takes about 10 seconds. Cap ship one takes like 30 seconds. While it's charging, it drains fuel too, so, most fully equipped fighters can't actually cloak.

6. If you fire while cloaked, will you uncloak?
6A. You can't fire while cloaked.

7. Is it even possible to fire while cloaked (perhaps your energy is set to low, like with Cruise drives)?
7A. No, it's like when you cruise, or are in a tradelane. Also, while cloaked, your shield is disabled. You can thrust, jump, dock, and cruise while cloaked.

8. While cloaked, will npcs still be able to see you?
8A. No, NPCs can't and don't see you, if you are cloaked. (Kudos to Garuda for the specific answer)

9. When you are cloaked and the enemy fires a Cruisedisruptor can it target you? Meaning while you are Cloaked can the enemy just fire Missles and then see where they go and then know your location?
9A. No, it can't target you, but it can hit you (like any other weapon, as you're still solid), the same way you can accidentally hit NPC's even when you don't aim at them.

10. Coordinates reset when you perform a successful /jump OR if you undock from a base. You have to enter the coordinates again after they are reset, else, you perform a blind jump

PS. Suggestions regarding how the data should be arranged/formatting feedback is very welcome, make it easier for everyone to read, send me a PM!

Some explanation of Jumpdrive, Cloaking and Survey module. - Linkero - 04-04-2012

To add on to this question list....

While cloaked, will npcs still be able to see you?
What's the average fuel consumption? Hopefully this is based per ship?(in regards to both cloak and jumpdrive)
Since cloaking is technically a military sort of deal, will there be any limitations for factions? Of course with the exception of well written rp's

For the biggest question.....how will it effect th rules? Obviously the jumpdrive will take time, and you'd end up dead while aactivating it.....but what about the cloak? Depending on how its implemented...will there be any rule changes?

Some explanation of Jumpdrive, Cloaking and Survey module. - Pimper - 04-05-2012

*bump* because of some info others might be interested in.

Some explanation of Jumpdrive, Cloaking and Survey module. - Nosferath - 04-07-2012

4. What does cloaking actually do? Does it decreases your detection range, makes you completely invisible, leaves a distorted siluette around your ship?
You're totally invisible (you, your engine, your thurster), both on screen and on scanners. However, if someone knows where you're at, and fires at you, you'll still get damaged, and fire does not go through you. You can also ram stuff.

5. Can you cloak at any time you have the cloak+fuel, or it needs to be "charged"?
The larger the cloak, the more it takes to cloak. Fighter cloak takes about 10 seconds. Cap ship one takes like 30 seconds. While it's charging, it drains fuel too, so, most fully equipped fighters can't actually cloak.

6. If you fire while cloaked, will you uncloak?
You can't fire while cloaked.

7. Is it even possible to fire while cloaked (perhaps your energy is set to low, like with Cruise drives)?
No, it's like when you cruise, or are in a tradelane. Also, while cloaked, your shield is disabled. You can thrust, jump, dock, and cruise while cloaked.

While cloaked, will npcs still be able to see you?
I don't remember well, but I don't think so.

What's the average fuel consumption? Hopefully this is based per ship?(in regards to both cloak and jumpdrive)
1 unit of fuel per second aproximately.

Some explanation of Jumpdrive, Cloaking and Survey module. - Jimothy - 04-07-2012

Nosferath, couldn't get a source for this knowledge could we, I'd hate to see everyone taking speculation as fact then getting up in arms if they wind up wrong.

Some explanation of Jumpdrive, Cloaking and Survey module. - Nosferath - 04-07-2012

I made a test server and tried it. It's legit.

Some explanation of Jumpdrive, Cloaking and Survey module. - Pimper - 04-07-2012

Once again, *bump*, with some new research data taken from FLHook configs included with Discovery 4.86 installation, as well as some personal testing using those original configs.
(Hopefully, people are not annoyed by this thread and me bumping it)

Feel free to add questions, perhaps I could test them out.

Some explanation of Jumpdrive, Cloaking and Survey module. - Govedo13 - 04-07-2012

Can you test how/if possible one ship feeds other ship with fuel in order to jump- t.e Battleship with Mk IV jump module and Transports nearby, and how many ships can jump at once with Mk IV Module?
I also want to ask about the survey accuracy- so the Mk 3 Survey drops you 100% on the spot and the others are less accurate- what 1.5 times difference means between Mk2 an Mk3- it would be around +/- how much K away?
I cannot express my gratitude- you just saved me tons of useless in-game grind for stuff that I does not want.

Some explanation of Jumpdrive, Cloaking and Survey module. - Pimper - 04-07-2012

' Wrote:Can you test how/if possible one ship feeds other ship with fuel in order to jump- t.e Battleship with Mk IV jump module and Transports nearby, and how many ships can jump at once with Mk IV Module?
I cannot express my gratitude- you just saved me tons of useless in-game grind for stuff that I does not want.

For that I would need more than 1 player, unfortunately (perhaps I could arrange a Test Server), but I assume that you just need the other transport to jettison resources or you should trade him. I am glad this info is of use to you. Also, the "field" value of the MkIV Jump Drive is 300...*probably* meters, but yes, testing would be nice...
Also, despite me saying that minimum a gunship can mount Survey modules, in reality, they can only mount modules Mk2 and Mk3, due to their relatively low cargo space, also, they will not be able to complete the survey without external resource influx (cannot carry sufficient resources with them on their own)

*EDIT* Ok, going to try testing the survey module accuracy.

Some explanation of Jumpdrive, Cloaking and Survey module. - West - 04-07-2012

are you sure about J/D mk2 that it "eats" 900 cargo space?
it's strange that J/D for BCs and BSs eats same amount of cargo space....