Discovery Gaming Community
Sunbucks Cafe - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Role-Playing (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Forum: Stories and Biographies (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=56)
+---- Forum: Watering Holes (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=149)
+---- Thread: Sunbucks Cafe (/showthread.php?tid=7765)

First Freebie as a Rookie - NebulaCloud - 09-27-2012

[Image: 18d8350e.png]

Carina pushed open the double doors of the station's famed cafe and purposefully strode inside, doing her best to look like she knew exactly where she was going, even though it was her first time here. She'd been told a number of times that this was the place to go, and the promise of a meal on the house gave her little reason not to go check it out. Besides, she had several hours to kill while the mechanics crawled over the old Liberator to which she had been assigned.

Instantly she felt a little out of place. The din of rowdy off-duty police officers trading off-color stories and crude jokes was barely below a dull roar, and of the ones who were on duty, only a few of them looked like they were in any shape to climb a flight of stairs or like their uniforms had been pressed in a week. And there she was, standing smartly in a pristine new blue uniform with crease lines straight as a ruler, a polished silver badge, and her shining black belt as reflective as a mirror. One could perfectly see their reflection in her black shoes that perfectly touched the bottom hem of her pants in exactly the same place on each side, and her sidearm and taser didn't have as much as a fingerprint on them. Her jet black hair was pulled back in a neat, tidy bun, not so much as one strand of hair hanging loose, and there wasn't a single obvious speck of dirt anywhere on her dark Hispanic skin. She had never thought in all her life that she'd be among the sharpest-dressed people in a crowd. She stuck out like a sore thumb, green as a sapling, and she couldn't help but think it would be moments before she would be the next target of jokes once the other officers took notice.

"Rookie, eh?" said the heavyset lady at the counter not far from the door.

Carina blinked as the greeting whipped her attention from pondering just what she had gotten herself into. "Huh?" she said stupidly, then smirked. "Yeah, guess it's hard to miss."

The lady shrugged, staring at her as if bored. "What'll ya have, Recruit?"

She shook her head to focus, and looked up at the menu board to see what this place had to offer.

RE: Sunbucks Cafe - NebulaCloud - 09-28-2012

After a few moments of consideration, Carina decided to keep it simple. She wasn't accustomed to much in the way of variety when it came to cuisine, and there wasn't any point in overdoing it.

"Just gimme one of those crescent rolls and a coffee," she said as she climbed up onto one of the stools at the counter, folding her arms and resting her elbows on its surface. The lady at the register punched a few buttons unenthusiastically and retrieved a plain white mug from beneath the counter in front of her, and proceeded to fill it with steaming hot, aromatic black coffee.

She glanced over her shoulder briefly at the other officers carrying on with one another at the large group of tables on the far end of the restaurant. For an instant she wondered if she should go introduce herself, but ended up looking back at her coffee mug. The server placed a couple packets of cream and a shaker of sugar on the counter in front of her, but she ignored them.

The heat of the coffee on her tongue made her wince slightly, but she was immediately smitten with its fullness and rich body. Compared to the imitation grounds she was used to back at home, this was a veritable symphony of flavor, and quite a kick in the pants. Even after only the one sip she felt invigorated and alert, and the warm sensation running down her esophagus made sitting by a roaring fire seem like warming one's hands over a toaster.

Glancing to her right, she noticed a gaunt, smarmy looking man with bare wisps of thin gray hair in a brown leather fur-collared coat staring at her from the opposite end of the bar. She locked her eyes directly on his, still holding her mug before her face as she stared over its rim right back at him.

She hadn't said a word, but her message was clear: what are YOU looking at? It wasn't but a beat later that the creep averted his gaze and made a big show of minding his own business. She held her glare a few seconds more before she took another sip of the intoxicatingly delicious coffee and set the mug down to wait on her breakfast.

RE: Sunbucks Cafe - TBone - 10-03-2012

Bonesteel stood outside the doors of the Sunbucks. He took a deep sniff of the air... He loved coffee. He walked in to Sunbucks for his first time as a Recruit Officer. He had always heard of the Liberty Police being able to receive compensated meals and drinks here and was about to put it to the test. He walked up to the counter while gazing at the menu - there were many options. He went up to the next available cashier.

"I'll take a coffee. Black."

It was a simple order - Bonesteel is a simple man. The coffee was ready to go in no time and to his surprise the cashier simply opened and closed the cash register and smiled. He politely smiled back and grabbed the coffee. He took a quick sip from it. It was a bit too hot yet so he figured he would grab a seat and give it some time to cool off.

Looking around he noticed another Liberty Police member that looked just as green as he did - definitely another Recruit Officer. She looked somewhat familiar - he thought maybe he had seen her around some of the recruit activities in that had been taking place in the past few weeks.

"Carina was her name, I think," he thought to himself.

She looked like she was staring rather intently into the eyes of another man across the room. He walked over to her table.

"Is that an old boyfriend or what?" he asked.

RE: Sunbucks Cafe - NebulaCloud - 10-03-2012

Carina glanced up at the man with a half-frown, cocking an eyebrow up critically. She looked him over from head to toe before she responded.

"Who? That pelota over there?" she asked, indicating with her coffee mug, then shook her head. "Nah. Never seen him before," she continued, then took a long sip of her coffee as she glanced impatiently across the counter for any sign of her breakfast roll before she looked back at him. "I've seen you before, new hire too, right?"

Bonesteel laughed and nodded.

"Yeah, real recently. I'm still waiting on my Patriot to get back from the shop then I should be all ready to go. Should be pretty soon, I'm told - but who knows?"

Bonesteel moved to take a seat at the table with Carina. He figured she wouldn't mind the company; and if she did she could tell him to get away, right?

"So what brought you to becoming an officer with the Liberty Police?"

The portly woman behind the counter finally came over with a single hot crescent roll on a plate and set it in front of her, and immediately she tore off a piece and popped it in her mouth.

She shrugged as she chewed, glancing around the establishment. "Same as anyone else," she replied around a mouthful of bread to the newcomer as he took a seat. She levelled her eyes at him and smirked wryly. "Help the innocent, protect free trade, make a difference, right?" she said with a faint wisp of sarcasm.

Seeing that she caught her visitor somewhat off guard, she chuckled softly and waved the comment off dismissively. She tore off another chunk of the roll and chomped into it. "I'm Carina, by the way," she said around the bread, offering her hand for him to shake.

Bonesteel laughed and nodded once again in agreement to her statement. He raised his eyebrows in a kind of "arent we all" sense. He offered his hand out as well and shook.

"Name's Tyler Bonesteel. Everyone I know on Manhattan calls me T-Bone though."

He took a sip from his coffee. It was the perfect temperature now. The warm liquid heated up his entire body on the way down. It was perfect.

She grinned wryly as their hands parted and she gripped her coffee mug once more. "A Manhattanite named T-Bone?" she asked with raised eyebrows, swallowing the bite of the crescent roll, still grinning. "How'd you end up with a name like that?"

RE: Sunbucks Cafe - TBone - 10-04-2012

"It's a firefighting thing... Back before I joined the LPI, I was a firefighter on Planet Manhattan. Now that almost every aspect of firefighting is becoming automated the need for humans as firefighters has become less and less. Long story short, it was a nickname given to me by the rest of the guys at the firehouse. It's a hard culture to understand if you aren't a part of it," Bonesteel explained proudly.

He finished his last sip of coffee and pulled a tin out of his pocket. He opened the tin and grabbed a pinch of substance and placed it in his lip.