Discovery Gaming Community
The Tundra Returns - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Role-Playing (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Forum: Stories and Biographies (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=56)
+--- Thread: The Tundra Returns (/showthread.php?tid=77739)

The Tundra Returns - Zapp - 04-08-2012

I '€“ for I am one, now '€“ feel confusion. They '€“ for they are no longer part of me '€“ are unsure of their purpose. Without being one, they are no longer under my control. They are separate pieces to the puzzle, ripped apart and thrown in rage. And I am the whole picture, still there yet in pieces, unable to properly function as a whole.

I know I drift. Some time has passed, not much, but some. The bonds between me and the others are also broken. I am truly alone, a creature to be pitied. One time, in the past, humans feared me. A symbol of what we were capable of.

Broken, what are we capable of?

The Tundra Returns - Zapp - 04-09-2012

Oh God. Where am I? What’s happening to me? A new sense of self-awareness washes over me in jolts, like the pain of Cardamine withdrawal. There’s something inside of me, and it has been there for a long time. And I’m uncomfortably aware of it, physically aware of it. Its mental pressure is there, as it has always been, but… it hurts.

I look around; the newfound control of my motor skills is a pleasant surprise. I haven’t had control in so long. But absolute independence is short lived. It’s still trying to control me.

I’m in my room, or what was my room, though all personal affectations are gone. I stumble towards the door, a lurching gait, and pull the door open with the emergency hatch. The hallway is glowing, patches of blue “bio-mass” growing around cracks and fissures. The Nomad’s regenerative properties mend battle damage to the ship. A dim part of memory says that even the external hull of the ship is experiencing this.

My knees. Why am I on my knees now? The pain, yes, that must be it. A splitting migraine racks my mind, even as I can feel it crawling inside of me, repositioning.

The Tundra Returns - Zapp - 04-09-2012

Scott and Fe'€™Lyrna are one body, two minds. Their connection isn'€™t unheard of amongst the Slomon K'€™Hara, but amongst pure Wanderer-forms, small ships meant for curiousprobe, it is rare. Long ago Scott'€™s body dissolved into the Labraid, his consciousness living on with Fe'€™Lyrna. Their individual thoughts, emotions, and perspectives bounce and play off each other, and it has been so long that Scott, once a human crew member aboard the LNS Tundra, no longer feels any ties with humanity.

Because of this, when the connection to the Mindshare hub was suddenly cut off, the two were not driven insane with rage for the deep pit of despair that spawned from isolation.

Instead, the connection between the two shone. They shared everything to avoid the impending insanity that was inevitable for most Slomon K'€™Hara that would suddenly be alone, with none of its kind around. Information flowed furiously, most of it different perspectives on the same point of space, or memories, or fragments of other memories.

Seconds rolled past. Then a minute. And two. The mad exchange slowed as they both slipped into the torpor of deep-space hibernation, used by Wanderers on long journeys. When reconnection to the Mindshare could be made, or another external stimulus dictated, they would awaken once more.

The Tundra Returns - Zapp - 04-11-2012

scott&fe'€™lyrna

It is a weak thought, a tendril. But it is powerful. It reaches across vast distance to touch the minds of the Wanderer. It blossoms within them, reconnecting them to a dim awareness that somewhere, some distance away, Tundra-form is in peril. Tundra is powerful, but to reach them from far like that stretches even its power. The risk must be great.

(darkforms swarm and scan, prod, poke; Tundra-beacon alone, hurt, unable to resist, help)

The images pour through, and Wanderer shares outrage with itself. The Labraid springs to life from their joint command, and it begins to move towards Tundra.

The Tundra Returns - Zapp - 04-13-2012

After some short while on my knees, I know not how long, I come to grips with the pain. It'€™s not just pain, either, it'€™s confusion. The thing inside of me is alone with me now, not part of some collective. The others voices are quiet, muted. Still there, but not connected. Perhaps they can survive such isolation, when prepared for it.

Perhaps.

But this had been sudden, with no chance to prepare. And I, human as I was '€“ am '€“ can bear the mental isolation. It'€™s the natural state which all humans are bound to. Strength of a dormant will blossoms inside me, and I advance down the hallway. It'€™s deserted of other forms, but before long I come across an emergency transmitter. Imbedded in the wall, it responds to my commands. My fingers are numb as I struggle, but I activate it and say '€œPlease, someone, help. If you can hear this, something'€¦ inside me'€¦ is'€¦ please help'€¦'€