Discovery Gaming Community
A bit of help needed - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Freelancer Forum (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: Other Discovery Servers (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: A bit of help needed (/showthread.php?tid=7864)

A bit of help needed - Camtheman Of Freelancer4Ever - 04-18-2008

Well, The Global server is down, that means none of my friends can join the server...
However,Discovery RP server crashes due to lag (doesnt it? i get disconnected alot, then i dont see the server for a while and then it comes back up 5 min later or so. How do you keep your IP the same on the server so you dont continually have to keep sending those workaround people your IP and server name. My server cant be 24/7 ( i dont think its healthy for you comp to be on all night all day all night all day all night.) and somehow the IP kept changing when i Xed out the Ioncross & FL server op. please help.
I will never bother you all on rp server again if you help me get my server working...

A bit of help needed - timmychen - 04-18-2008

While I'd be delighted to help you out, your problem is still unclear to me.

1) Who's going to be playing on this server?
2) What exactly is the problem?

A bit of help needed - tyro - 04-18-2008

your IP has to be fixed/constant, always the same. Discovery FL server runs on dedicated server which has always the same IP.

if you have network with changeable IP you cannot run any game server properly or you should find DDNS service.

A bit of help needed - Dantrithor - 04-18-2008

Or you can try services like www.no-ip.com which, with a few tools, give you a virtual host which you can link to whatever you IP have at the moment.

Example: You "get" myfreelancerserver.no-ip.com as perm host. You download the utility, and whoever tries to connect to myfreelancerserver.no-ip.com will be redirected to your computer.

They have free services, so at least its worth checking

A bit of help needed - Camtheman Of Freelancer4Ever - 04-18-2008

i think my ip does stay the same, its SBC yahoo, Prolly only me & my friends are gonna play on it,
Redirected to my computer? elaborate please. I got a server thingy from that site, how do i like this all to my freelancer server though??! freelancer4everrp.servegame.com is the name, i figured out the problem, when i can connect to my server but noone else can. it has my network ip, instead of my computers IP. so how do i make it so that the server has my computers ip and not my networks? Since the global server is down, what do i tell my friends to put in their shortcut to make my server appear on their internet server lobby? "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Freelancer\EXE\freelancer.exe" freelancer4everrp.servegame.com
because that redirects to my comps IP, but i dont know how to make it work with that code in the shortcut thing...

A bit of help needed - timmychen - 04-19-2008

' Wrote:i think my ip does stay the same, its SBC yahoo, Prolly only me & my friends are gonna play on it,
Redirected to my computer? elaborate please. I got a server thingy from that site, how do i like this all to my freelancer server though??! freelancer4everrp.servegame.com is the name, i figured out the problem, when i can connect to my server but noone else can. it has my network ip, instead of my computers IP. so how do i make it so that the server has my computers ip and not my networks? Since the global server is down, what do i tell my friends to put in their shortcut to make my server appear on their internet server lobby? "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Freelancer\EXE\freelancer.exe" freelancer4everrp.servegame.com
because that redirects to my comps IP, but i dont know how to make it work with that code in the shortcut thing...

If it's only you + your friends, I recommend using Hamachi to play together. It's easy to use, convenient, and you don't need to worry about all this IP stuff.

A bit of help needed - Camtheman Of Freelancer4Ever - 04-22-2008

Oh? how does it work?

A bit of help needed - DBoy1612 - 04-22-2008

' Wrote:i think my ip does stay the same, its SBC yahoo, Prolly only me & my friends are gonna play on it,

http://discoverygc.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=14845

Option 3, replace Discovery's IP with yours, done.

A bit of help needed - Camtheman Of Freelancer4Ever - 04-22-2008

tried that already, ive done my comps ip in there, but my server doesnt have my comps ip it has my networks.

A bit of help needed - timmychen - 04-22-2008

' Wrote:Oh? how does it work?

-Download Hamachi
-Install it
-Have your friends download and install it
-Create a network
-Have your friends connect to your new network
-Create a server
-Play

Your friends will see your server under LAN. This works for most other games too. Kinda nifty thing to have.