Discovery Gaming Community
Wisdom of Discovery question #1 04/25/2012 - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Discovery RP 24/7 General Discussions (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: Wisdom of Discovery question #1 04/25/2012 (/showthread.php?tid=78953)

Pages: 1 2

Wisdom of Discovery question #1 04/25/2012 - sindroms - 04-25-2012

Wisdom of Discovery

BEFORE POSTING, READ THE RULES HERE: http://discoverygc.com/forums/index.php?sh...=124266&hl=

QUESTION #1
Current cash prize: 50 000 000$

Question Information:

While on the road, one of the many dangers the drivers face are flying rocks. It is common for a rock to get stuck between the rear double tires of a truck, such as the ones shown in the picture:

[Image: sm_jam.jpg]

During movement, such a rock can dislodge itself from the tire at high speeds, becoming potentially becoming lethal for the drivers behind the truck.

To warn the truck driver about such a hazard, a common gesture is used when passing the truck.

Question: What gesture is used? Describe, draw or post a picture of it.

Answer: Since not many regular drivers own a walkie talkie or a dedicated radio on their cars, there was a need of a simple yet understandable one-hand sign that would alert the truck drivers of the problem.
It had to be one handed for it to be easy and safe to use, for the overtaking driver to be able to keep one hand on the wheel at all time.

And so, a crude yet effective hand sign was used, by clenching the hand into a fist and allowing the thumb poke out from between the index and middle finger, thus representing the two tires and the rock within.

[Image: xXewN.jpg]

The winner is Last Pilgrim, post #10, 7 hours after the post.

The cash was transferred to:
The.Icebreaker
[Image: dDbXg.png]

Wisdom of Discovery question #1 04/25/2012 - Soul Reaper - 04-25-2012

Edit: Fine fine, they stick their arm out the window and make a fist.

Wisdom of Discovery question #1 04/25/2012 - SparkyRailgun - 04-25-2012

Why, the symbol of rock, of course.
[Image: Signofthehorns.jpg]

PFI]Bank

A reminder, please add your character name in your post. If you win, you will receive your money instantly, without having to fiddle around with PMs.

Wisdom of Discovery question #1 04/25/2012 - Ganimed - 04-25-2012

There is no such gesture as there are quite a few problems with the story presented. For the rock to be stuck between the two tires means it should have a large volume. Rocks with large volume are heavy and even if the friction between the front tire and the rock could be enough to lift it, the back tire would immediately shoot the rock downwards again, towards the road. Both tires are spinning in the same direction, so there is no way the rock can gain a high speed.

IMG|Mara.Arin

Wisdom of Discovery question #1 04/25/2012 - dodike - 04-25-2012

' Wrote:There is no such gesture as there are quite a few problems with the story presented. For the rock to be stuck between the two tires means it should have a large volume. Rocks with large volume are heavy and even if the friction between the front tire and the rock could be enough to lift it, the back tire would immediately shoot the rock downwards again, towards the road. Both tires are spinning in the same direction, so there is no way the rock can gain a high speed.

IMG|Mara.Arin
In between the tires that are on the same axle just like this:

[Image: sm_jam.jpg]

Thank you, Dodike. I added your picture to the description.

Wisdom of Discovery question #1 04/25/2012 - Ganimed - 04-25-2012

You edited your first post after answers have been posted. Another picture that was on display when I gave my answer and can be seen below. It seems you ask the contestants not to break the rules of "no editing", while you abide no rule at all. I can understand that, you are giving away your money, so you can decide what to do with it, but this is a bit unfair and breaks trust.I am unable to respond to your question edit because I will be disqualified if I post again or edit my previous answer which has also been quoted in it's entirety. If one reads the question now and sees the picture, my answer will be deniable, while it couldn't have been with the picture you disclosed before editing.

http://i.imgur.com/mBoGd.jpg

' Wrote:You edited your first post after answers have been posted. Another picture that was on display when I gave my answer and can be seen below. It seems you ask the contestants not to break the rules of "no editing", while you abide no rule at all. I can understand that, you are giving away your money, so you can decide what to do with it, but this is a bit unfair and breaks trust.I am unable to respond to your question edit because I will be disqualified if I post again or edit my previous answer which has also been quoted in it's entirety. If one reads the question now and sees the picture, my answer will be deniable, while it couldn't have been with the picture you disclosed before editing.

http://i.imgur.com/mBoGd.jpg

The reason why I edited the post is because the image I chose at the time caused, as I saw with your reply, confusion. I only edited the picture, not the description, so in all, such a minor edit would not be seen to have any impact on the answer itself. More so, these are not trick questions, such as the electric train and smoke, as such your interpretation was wrong to begin with. But I do see your point. Edit your answer as you see fit, since it seems it was my fault for choosing the picture in the first place.

Wisdom of Discovery question #1 04/25/2012 - Scaryowl - 04-25-2012

[attachmentid=994]
The.Icebreaker