Discovery Gaming Community
Some thoughts on Cruise Disruptors - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+---- Forum: Discovery Mod Balance (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=31)
+---- Thread: Some thoughts on Cruise Disruptors (/showthread.php?tid=80367)

Pages: 1 2

Some thoughts on Cruise Disruptors - DarkPand0r - 05-16-2012

Please let me first add this by saying this is merely a suggestion, I'm going to assume for this I will be trolled out of these forums for the rest of my Freelancing Life.

Firstly, I'm going to briefly explain the refire rate of Cruise disruptors (for anyone unaware, Feel free to skip to the second Paragraph if you already understand this). In the current situation with Cruise disruptors the vast majority of them seem to have a refire rate of roughly 1.00 Equating to 1 shot per second (Excluding the Reinforced Cruise Disruptor which fires at a rate of 0.68 Shots per second). This allows a particularly high use from a cruise disruptor (Referring especially to the Train Cruise Disruptor)

I have two problems with the current Cruise Disruption system in that:
A: Cruise disruptors too easily stop ships even if a particularly high Countermeasure spam is applied.
B: Cruise disruptors (Especially the Train Cruise Disruptor) Have a very large Explosion radius, meaning quite often a close wasp will manage to EMP both yourself and your opponent.
C: They currently allow for a very high spam rate, Something I have a particular problem with

So lets explore points A & B, I think they can fit nicely together because they affect the main use of a Cruise Disruptor namely being, To stop someone's use of Cruising. In numerous fights I've found countermeasures to be largely useless, Escaping a fight with a cruise disruptor is almost impossible at this time as 2/3+ cruise disruptors will almost certainly stop someone cruising, No matter the countermeasure involved. Which I believe has lead to the current state of affairs of Afterburner running to the nearest lane and mining it, Dragging out fights and in some cases, Leading to INCREDIBLE frustration (But fighters running is another problem... I'm of the "Do or Die" mentality). If for example Cruise disruptors were slowed down to maybe once every 2 seconds (0.50 for all you geeks out there) I think this would make the use of Countermeasures more viable.
The problem that also hampers the use of Countermeasures is the explosion radius (I'm explicitly referring to the Train and Reinforced Forms here). Even while using a particularly high number of countermeasures, Due to the incredibly high Explosion radius of Cruise Disruptors (400m-550m) currently it makes escape almost impossible on any ship engaging cruise, Once again explaining the current afterburner running situation.
This has lead in my opinion to more people turning to cloaks (In my opinion it should be far more rare than it is, But I digress) as it is now the only viable method of escape from a fight that wields a high success rate I believe this should be toned down, to between 100-150m.

In regards to battles, I believe regarding A this would also stop this current "If someone uses mines, I'm going to spam the CD key till it ceases to exist" technique, Especially popular among those of us who like to use the reverse thrust method. The Explosion radius compounds this, essentially if you drop a mine and receive a present in the form of a cruise disruptor to the face within 3-4 seconds.... Prepare to get butthurt.

So in brief, Heres a summary of my thoughts:
1. Reduce cruise disruptor refire to 0.50 - This allows less ludicrous spam in battles as well as giving countermeasures a chance
2. Reduce the Explosion Radius - Allowing an actual use of countermeasures and ensuring that anyone using more volatile equipment stands atleast a brief chance.
3. (optional) Make Train/Reinforced cruise disruptors only available to capital ships, This would make sense in a Role play environment as they would be able to carry a more heavy payload.

Thanks for reading.

Some thoughts on Cruise Disruptors - Ichiru - 05-16-2012

' Wrote:Please let me first add this by saying this is merely a suggestion, I'm going to assume for this I will be trolled out of these forums for the rest of my Freelancing Life.

Firstly, I'm going to briefly explain the refire rate of Cruise disruptors (for anyone unaware, Feel free to skip to the second Paragraph if you already understand this). In the current situation with Cruise disruptors the vast majority of them seem to have a refire rate of roughly 1.00 Equating to 1 shot per second (Excluding the Reinforced Cruise Disruptor which fires at a rate of 0.68 Shots per second). This allows a particularly high use from a cruise disruptor (Referring especially to the Train Cruise Disruptor)

I have two problems with the current Cruise Disruption system in that:
A: Cruise disruptors too easily stop ships even if a particularly high Countermeasure spam is applied.
B: Cruise disruptors (Especially the Train Cruise Disruptor) Have a very large Explosion radius, meaning quite often a close wasp will manage to EMP both yourself and your opponent.
C: They currently allow for a very high spam rate, Something I have a particular problem with

So lets explore points A & B, I think they can fit nicely together because they affect the main use of a Cruise Disruptor namely being, To stop someone's use of Cruising. In numerous fights I've found countermeasures to be largely useless, Escaping a fight with a cruise disruptor is almost impossible at this time as 2/3+ cruise disruptors will almost certainly stop someone cruising, No matter the countermeasure involved. Which I believe has lead to the current state of affairs of Afterburner running to the nearest lane and mining it, Dragging out fights and in some cases, Leading to INCREDIBLE frustration (But fighters running is another problem... I'm of the "Do or Die" mentality). If for example Cruise disruptors were slowed down to maybe once every 2 seconds (0.50 for all you geeks out there) I think this would make the use of Countermeasures more viable.
The problem that also hampers the use of Countermeasures is the explosion radius (I'm explicitly referring to the Train and Reinforced Forms here). Even while using a particularly high number of countermeasures, Due to the incredibly high Explosion radius of Cruise Disruptors (400m-550m) currently it makes escape almost impossible on any ship engaging cruise, Once again explaining the current afterburner running situation.
This has lead in my opinion to more people turning to cloaks (In my opinion it should be far more rare than it is, But I digress) as it is now the only viable method of escape from a fight that wields a high success rate I believe this should be toned down, to between 100-150m.

In regards to battles, I believe regarding A this would also stop this current "If someone uses mines, I'm going to spam the CD key till it ceases to exist" technique, Especially popular among those of us who like to use the reverse thrust method. The Explosion radius compounds this, essentially if you drop a mine and receive a present in the form of a cruise disruptor to the face within 3-4 seconds.... Prepare to get butthurt.

So in brief, Heres a summary of my thoughts:
1. Reduce cruise disruptor refire to 0.50 - This allows less ludicrous spam in battles as well as giving countermeasures a chance
2. Reduce the Explosion Radius - Allowing an actual use of countermeasures and ensuring that anyone using more volatile equipment stands atleast a brief chance.
3. (optional) Make Train/Reinforced cruise disruptors only available to capital ships, This would make sense in a Role play environment as they would be able to carry a more heavy payload.

Thanks for reading.

+1, except for the heavier CDs only being available to capital ships, that'd make my Hayabusa useless:(

Some thoughts on Cruise Disruptors - AeternusDoleo - 05-16-2012

Train Disruptor has to stay available to the interceptor and bomber class as they rely heavily on immobilising heavier targets to bring them down. It's actually the primary role of an interceptor - catch up to something, hold it in place while backup arrives. Not in favor of denying ships a large area-effect disruptor.

Reducing the refire rate to make countermeasures more effective is something that could be considered I think. Will mention it to the balance guys. However, the CD is the proper counter to minespamming - and the reason some players favor a CD over a razor. It's a defensive and offensive weapon that way. If you rely on mines learn to time them when your opponent's CD is out of arc. Spamming CDs tends to make you run out of those fast - spam 3 in a joust, you'll only have 24 passes before you run out. Most fights last longer then that.

Some thoughts on Cruise Disruptors - DarkPand0r - 05-16-2012

' Wrote:Train Disruptor has to stay available to the interceptor and bomber class as they rely heavily on immobilising heavier targets to bring them down. Not in favor of denying ships a large area-effect disruptor.

The idea of making Capital ships having heavier countermeasures was merely a thought, I still believe reducing the AoE of Cruise Disruptors would make for more efficient and difficult chases, as well as giving Traders a higher ability to escape, adding more interest to piracy.

Some thoughts on Cruise Disruptors - Madvillain - 05-16-2012

CD's already got nerfed bigtime recently.

' Wrote:. However, the CD is the proper counter to minespamming
not anymore,
since a while they only detonate mines about 30% of the time.
also their turning rate and firing arc got horribly nerfed.
If anything , please fix the CD devs.

Some thoughts on Cruise Disruptors - Ceoran - 05-16-2012

Being someone who has already played all roles I can only say the CDs are fine as they are. Countering minespam with CD-spam is as much of a valid tactic as the minespam itself. And both pirates as well as police need means to keep someone they caught in place. There's plenty of chances to escape before getting into CD range.

However, what could be fixed is the way CMs are dropped as they are entirely useless on certain ships, especially the largest ones. Make them fire backwards with a decent amount of speed so there's an actual chance of not getting caught in the blast because just your ship is so huge.

Some thoughts on Cruise Disruptors - Friday - 05-16-2012

Its the CMs, not the CDs!

Why dont countermeasures look like this?

THAT is some serious CMs!

Some thoughts on Cruise Disruptors - Madvillain - 05-16-2012

' Wrote:Its the CMs, not the CDs!

sorry for going a bit off topic, but that's some awesome footage!
the smoke trails look scary!

Some thoughts on Cruise Disruptors - kikatsu - 05-16-2012

' Wrote:Its the CMs, not the CDs!

You need that many CMs and some fancy flying if you ever hope to escape a CD shot.
I would at least like to see some more differentiation between the Train CD and the Mosquito CD.

Some thoughts on Cruise Disruptors - Friday - 05-16-2012

My point with that YouTube footage is that the CMs are not just popped lightly out the back of a ship.

They are shot out at right-angles to the ship, at considerable speed!