Discovery Gaming Community
Faction power - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Rules & Requests (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Rules (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+---- Forum: Faction Rules (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=46)
+---- Thread: Faction power (/showthread.php?tid=81039)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Faction power - Guyton - 05-28-2012

' Wrote:So you are against FR5's being suggested to admin by factions, that's fair enough.
Any group of people on this server, whether they are an official faction, unofficial faction, group of friends or troll squad may do the rest.

P.S. Hey Guyton, long time no see, good to see you again *waves*

No I truly believe factions should have that right. I was simply responding to the quoted statement. Factions[Navy/Police] do have power. Primarily the only ones who may not have power over anything are corporations. Granted I'm enjoying my time with EFL, but there is nothing I see what benefits between official/unofficial other than forums. We can still submit roleplay, make allies, participate in politics, and make suggestions.

P.S. Add me to skype if ya got it "guyton2671"

Faction power - JayDee Kasane - 05-28-2012

No.

Just because it is way how we doing staff here. No powers for Officials - faction not a faction anymore. Indies shouldnt roll over it, but officials. especially about FR5 and such

Faction power - Ceoran - 05-28-2012

' Wrote:

In my opinion, official factions have too much power in this community. The power they arrogate and the real estate they claim is disproportionate with the tiny responsibility required of them. The monopoly on NPC IDs stifles roleplay.
  • Remove 1-faction-per-ID rule for non-House factions (corporations, criminals, etc.)
  • Remove FR5, and handle things like OORP docking with rules 1.2 and 6.9
  • Reduce faction input regarding tech decisions
  • No. Join the faction rather than go "Icanhazfactiontoo?" Oh, I forgot you prefer to troll OFs with a gang of indies instead just to avoid the existing "powers".
  • So you can piss off factions without them having any means to get back at you? No. Anti-troll tools are necessary.
  • Everyone having a say instead including people who haven't spend any notable amount of time with the lore of the faction they are giving their input to? No.

Faction power - bloogaL - 05-28-2012

' Wrote:
  • Remove 1-faction-per-ID rule for non-House factions (corporations, criminals, etc.
No. What do you do when it comes to diplomacy if there's more than one faction for the same group? Let's say, there's a new smuggling faction, and they're asking permission to land on Liberty Rogue bases, which faction for the rogues do they contact? Do they have to get permission from all Rogue factions? Or just one? Something that will make this even worse, is if we get rid of 1 faction per ID then factions are bound to pop up because they don't the way the first is run, there will be ooRP hate and they'll disagree in diplomacy for the sake of disagreeing. Basically, it breaks diplomacy.

Faction power - Guyton - 05-28-2012

' Wrote:
  • No. Join the faction rather than go "Icanhazfactiontoo?" Oh, I forgot you prefer to troll OFs with a gang of indies instead just to avoid the existing "powers".
  • So you can piss off factions without them having any means to get back at you? No. Anti-troll tools are necessary.
  • Everyone having a say instead including people who haven't spend any notable amount of time with the lore of the faction they are giving their input to? No.

1. I'm not sure if this was before your time, but at one moment there were always multiple factions for a single NPC faction. Never more than one for House Militaristic or Police, following a single chain of command when dealing with those politics will always do wonders. Other factions such as Zoners, Bounty Hunters, Corsairs, and Outcasts often had multiple factions that were highly successful. With this we always had leadership to answer any existing problem in a short time.

My Opinion: Zoners should never be limited to a single ID their NPC information states the name Zoner is nothing more than a way of life not a single individual government/organization.

2. Factions should have that right to deem any player hostile if proper proof is available with warnings. House hostilities should go "Hostile to Military - Hostile to All". I see a usual occurrence factions hostile to Gallia docking on corporate stations (Report Report - I don't even bother).

3. No insight on this really, common sense and research could make a reasonable answer everyone can agree on.

Faction power - Ceoran - 05-28-2012

' Wrote:1. I'm not sure if this was before your time, but at one moment there were always multiple factions for a single NPC faction. Never more than one for House Militaristic or Police, following a single chain of command when dealing with those politics will always do wonders. Other factions such as Zoners, Bounty Hunters, Corsairs, and Outcasts often had multiple factions that were highly successful. With this we always had leadership to answer any existing problem in a short time.

My Opinion: Zoners should never be limited to a single ID their NPC information states the name Zoner is nothing more than a way of life not a single individual government/organization.

2. Factions should have that right to deem any player hostile if proper proof is available with warnings. House hostilities should go "Hostile to Military - Hostile to All". I see a usual occurrence factions hostile to Gallia docking on corporate stations (Report Report - I don't even bother).

3. No insight on this really, common sense and research could make a reasonable answer everyone can agree on.

1. Most of those factions died out way before the 1 faction per ID rule was introduced. And while multiple factions might have offered a certain amount of variety to some of these factions they often only resulted in people doing exactly the same as the existing officials for what they don't need the official status themselves. I can agree that the Zoners would need multiple factions. However, that already causes issues with base IFFs and docking rights.

2. That would allow the military factions to dictate RP and diplomacy of the other house factions, especially the corporations who often don't share the view of the government. After all most corporations have dealings with less legal entities.

3. Disco is a fire pit, for most people common sense holds no value if you can screw someone over to your own advantage. Otherwise Hoodlum wouldn't have to keep preaching it all the time.

Faction power - fencore - 05-28-2012

' Wrote:I find a faction with the ability to create their own laws, tax and charge fees, make common materials contraband, deem an individual player or group hostile, and consider even areas such as "Independent Systems" bordering considered their "territory" subject to their laws pretty much is all the power they need.
The issue here, and one that I think is important, is that none of these regulations are enforceable in the context of the server rules.

In fact, server rules don't recognize House Governments in any way, shape or form. The highest level of the hierarchy that's covered are official factions, and those are groups we're looking to both give more ability and responsibility; more freedoms but also more regulation in exchange.

The House Governments aren't a given entity - they're created and supported by the official factions. As such, those factions are the ones driving things, but their decrees in terms of laws do not count as binding by server rules. They're entirely InRP constructs which can be changed, mucked about with, or eliminated, if the official factions were so keen to.

These "abilities" which are so lauded, frankly, don't even really exist. It's more of an agreement among the factions of a certain house to say "This is how we'd like this to work." You're perfectly capable of saying "Nope, don't wanna" and doing your own thing, provided you have the firepower and the server rules don't get broken. You run the risk of a FR5, of course, should the factions you offend so desire to file one, but other than that, the only laws you're required to follow are server rules, and the FR5s are quite rarely permanent repchanges.

In short, it's the players which have empowered the factions in such a manner, not the rules. As much as I think house governments can often muck things up, I'm not inclined to step on the roleplay if the factions in a given house are willing to support it, as that's it - it's just roleplay.

Faction power - Benjamin - 05-28-2012

Haha oh, didn't see this thread. My post in the 48 hour thread would be way more appropriate here. Joy of posting from phone.

But yeah, lol at factions having power.

Prowlerpc hit the nail on the head, every other faction leader who's posted in here has echoed it.

If yr going to moan about things pls have it be real actual things and not stuff you've just imagined in your heads. Pls all get a faction made official and run it for a while before any more of this.

Faction power - Ingenious - 05-28-2012

' Wrote:Pls all get a faction made official and run it for a while before any more of this.

All the IDs are taken and I don't have 500mil to waste

Faction power - Benjamin - 05-28-2012

All the IDs are not taken and I'd sponsor anyone who actually had a decent idea for one of them and was willing to put the work in