Discovery Gaming Community
Player bases near mining fields - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: Player bases near mining fields (/showthread.php?tid=81298)

Pages: 1 2

Player bases near mining fields - Hone - 05-31-2012

I've seen player bases built near a mining field, (usually ones where you can sell ore) where miners can run to and dock faster than normal in case of attack. Seeing as the devs said they balanced the mining fields for profit vs distance to safety - see the nerf of the closer dublin mining field, does this throw that out of wack? It can make it impossible to pirate miners without a large force, as they are so close.

I know that player bases can be destroyed, but from what I hear that requires a large cap force, which most indie pirates and smaller organizations couldnt field.

To be clear, I am not saying this DOES destroy the balance, just asking.

Player bases near mining fields - ryoken - 05-31-2012

Shoot base, sheilds go up, and miner cannot dock. Pretty simple.

Player bases near mining fields - Daedric - 05-31-2012

' Wrote:Shoot base, sheilds go up, and miner cannot dock. Pretty simple.

Nail head met hammer.

Player bases near mining fields - Hone - 05-31-2012

But cant they do that /shield command thing, that lowers the shields for a few secs? I saw a thread in the rules I think, about cloaked traders doing that to get through a siege?

Player bases near mining fields - Ursus - 05-31-2012

' Wrote:I know that player bases can be destroyed, but from what I hear that requires a large cap force, which most indie pirates and smaller organizations couldnt field.
To be clear, I am not saying this DOES destroy the balance, just asking.
The bases require significant amounts of time and money to build and maintain, so it is balanced that way on the miner's side. There's no benefit to the pirate so that side of it is unbalanced.

On the other hand you can pirate in caps now.

' Wrote:Shoot base, sheilds go up, and miner cannot dock. Pretty simple.
If a miner is within a few K of the station, he can see the red name 14k away and dock before the pirate is in weapons range. I do it all the time. If the pirate rushes the base instead of the miner, he could get the shields up, but then the defense platforms would tear up the pirate's ship.

Player bases near mining fields - Daedric - 05-31-2012

' Wrote:But cant they do that /shield command thing, that lowers the shields for a few secs? I saw a thread in the rules I think, about cloaked traders doing that to get through a siege?

Someone on the base has to do that. In that case, they're using team work. At that point, drop the hammer on the base. You'll hurt them a bit by doing that.

Still, somewhat of a valid point.

Player bases near mining fields - Matthews - 05-31-2012

In order to use base commands you: Firstly, need to be a base admin. Secondly, need to be docked on the base.

Player bases near mining fields - Jack_Henderson - 06-01-2012

Cleverly positioned player bases are meant to make it safer. It's a feature that you pay for in ingame money and time investment.

Player bases near mining fields - Dab - 06-01-2012

Yes, the feature hurts pirate ID players. Why not go OC, or GC, or BD, or one of the plethora of pirate factions, grab a bunch of friends, be they indies or player faction, and go blow up the base. Not only are they robbed of instadock, but they just lost tons of money and will think twice about doing that again.

Player bases near mining fields - Knjaz - 06-01-2012

' Wrote:But cant they do that /shield command thing, that lowers the shields for a few secs? I saw a thread in the rules I think, about cloaked traders doing that to get through a siege?

For less then 0.5 seconds, actually, if base is under constant fire. As I mentioned in another thread some time ago, your coordination should be ideal, in such circumstances.