Discovery Gaming Community
Flak turrets? - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: Flak turrets? (/showthread.php?tid=8233)

Pages: 1 2

Flak turrets? - Akumabito - 05-01-2008

I tried a flak turret on my cruiser, it didn't seem to do anything.

Is it one of those weapons you have to explode with a CD to get it work?

Flak turrets? - mjolnir - 05-01-2008

In 4.83 they had large explosive radius so they shot turrets off other capships.. rather fast.. and if you exploded them with cd they blasted fighters to pieces...

... since they were overpowered they got nerfed in 4.84 (smaller blast radius apart from other things I guess).. and now they are useless.

Note: I have never used them in 4.84.. but this is what I heard. I had some in 4.83 and I disarmed GB with my cruiser very easily.

OK, well that was a waste of 2 million.

Flak turrets? - pchwang - 05-01-2008

They aren't useless.

They still pack quite a punch. Combine them with missiles, and you've got a charm.

Flak turrets? - frozen - 05-01-2008

they were nerfed, because of the reason mjolnir stated. also, as an added fact, flak was particularly dangerous for vanilla ships, since their splash damage to the hulls of vanilla ships was alot (due to wireframe i think)

they are quite good against fighters etc, like Elgato stated, though i havent a clue, since i never bothered with em:P

Flak turrets? - stewcool - 05-01-2008

Ya know my battleship has 2 flak turrets...Do I know if they do the damage they say, NO. I am thinkin of switching them out for normal turrets. Not sure. Cause I don't think I need flak on a battleship....

Flak turrets? - Panzer - 05-01-2008

Tried the "new" ones on a cruiser.

Seriously - I fired 2, while going head on with a low-level NPC and blew the shells up with a CD at the RIGHT moment (Trust me - I'm a former flak whore)

And ya know? It didn't even strip the shields off that err.. Hawk? Yeah, or Flacon.

Honestly, it's now a waste of cash. Previously they were okay as for blast radius at least. Firepower was too much - I agree, but now the weapon has lost it's only virtue and any justification of keeping it in the mod.

Flak turrets? - TheIncompetentOne - 05-01-2008

Do the NPC battleships still use them?

I could've sworn they did...but they never hit anything

EDIT: Another question...Isn't flak supposed to be used for Missle/Torpedo/Mine defense? Seems pretty effective to me because of it's blast radius.

' Wrote:They aren't useless.

They still pack quite a punch. Combine them with missiles, and you've got a charm.

I couldn't see it, my two missile turrets were doing all the work and the flack turrets did basically nothing. Plus the missiles actually can hit fighters as well.

Maybe I am wrong but that's the way it seemed to me.

Flak turrets? - Eboksba - 05-01-2008

Hrm, i always wanted to know what the crap the flak was used for. Maybe i should have read the title <i always thought that you should just shoot them at people and hope they do something earlier, before i stopped using them>