Discovery Gaming Community
Zoner rant - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: Zoner rant (/showthread.php?tid=83332)

Zoner rant - Mímir - 07-06-2012

So I have been thinking, it's kinda bad that only battleships can mount jumpdrives (and survey modules too, if you solo) - mostly because these battleships often end up places that are either OORP or hostile, and since they are battleships they can be hard to take down while they still pack a punch.

Moreover it really brings some of the less thought through decisions from previous versions out in full light: Yes, zonerzonerzoner and their unbelievable ship line and generous ID. There's a reason why we only really see jumping Zoner ships, and that is that it is just so easy to do (and get away with), from choice of ship to ID allowances and mary-sue zero-accountability npc faction background - more often than not, the Zoner jump ships are even used as meta-gaming tools for groups of players with 5K tradeships on a different ID to maximize profits.

The old power-gaming tools + new features are in conjunction simply put made for exploitation, as it is dead easy to add a thin coating of RP to justify it: "My Zoner carrier once got helped by a guy from Kishiro, now I jump a fleet of Kishiro 5K'ers, while shooting anyone who tries to stop us" etc. There are no real limits to what actions Zoner backgrounds allow for, save for unprovoked all-out krieg.*

So since the ID and ship-line won't be changed (some players seem to see it as "griefing" whenever anything is directed at Zoners) would it be possible to introduce civilian-like ships (so Corporations could use them) with weak hull and no guns but capable of mounting/using survey modules/jumpdrives or perhaps build them with these features and make them cheaper than a BS equivalent or give them extra large cargoholds so they will be the power-gamer's first choice? It would be a lot less intrusive than carriers and/or jugs everywhere and would mitigate some of the Zoner-issues to a degree. It would also add interesting possibilities for civilian-like RP in a non-warship on a range of ID's, adding a bit more scope to the game.

Tl;dr version: Why not remove a few of the incentives to meta-game or make the meta-gaming a bit less intrusive?

*Zoner militaristic faction ideas surface from time to time, but the established Zoner factions and players are good at putting a lid on those discussions. There are a lot of fine Zoner factions on the server that simply use what is given to them, ship-, lore- and ID-wise, while keeping it in-rp - some Zoner factions even display temperance when utilizing these things, which is excellent. That being said, I still think there should be more limitations, so that the ID and available ships set the limit, rather than personal restraint (which only goes so far in a somewhat competitive environment in a game with an emphasis on grinding).

Zoner rant - bloogaL - 07-06-2012

' Wrote:would it be possible to introduce civilian-like ships (so Corporations could use them) with weak hull and no guns but capable of mounting/using survey modules/jumpdrives or perhaps build them with these features and make them cheaper than a BS equivalent or give them extra large cargoholds so they will be the power-gamer's first choice?

A similar idea was thought up a while ago here.

Personally, I'd love to see a jumper that coperations can use.

Zoner rant - Mímir - 07-06-2012

' Wrote:A similar idea was thought up a while ago here.

Heh, I hadn't seen that. Excellent idea - it would definitely alleviate some of the problems with the Zoner ID/ship line/mary-sue lore, I think it should be implemented if possible.

Zoner rant - Prysin - 07-06-2012

just add the line that Core has "May not bring caps into systems with jumpgates" then add an exception for the Corvo since its really just a heavily armed research vessel.

Zoner rant - Miranda - 07-06-2012

' Wrote:A similar idea was thought up a while ago here.

I'd love to see something like this put in. I've been trying to figure out a way for IC| to jump without using zoners. The hessians like us and might sell us a Jormungand inRP but what house would let an unlawful BS into its space? The only real option currently is to buy one from a house military which presents its own problems, not to mention most militaries don't go around selling battleships, and even if they did a SRP would take weeks or months with no guarantee of success.

Instead you could have something like this, and make corporations earn the right to use it in house space from the various authorities.

Zoner rant - Govedo13 - 07-06-2012

What bloogaL said-the other topic explains it.

Zoner rant - Friday - 07-06-2012

Now that Docking Modules work (more or less).

Barges

Lower their nominal cargo space to 5K, make up the difference with say, 6 "Maxi-size" docking bays able to hold a 5K transport, and a number of smaller standard docking bays.

Give a Barge the ability to use a Type 2 or 3 Jump Drive - so they can jump themselves but no other. The bulk of the cargo is now carried internally on docked ships, and the jumping Barge is large, clunky, vulnerable to attack and almost impossible to defend - or to defend itself.

You can then distinguish the Military Jumpers from the Commercial Jumpers by only allowing ships of a certain powercore rating to be sucked along for the ride using a Type 4 Jump Drive. Everyone else has to dock internally on the Military caps.

Zoner rant - Miranda - 07-06-2012

' Wrote:Now that Docking Modules work (more or less).

Barges

Lower their nominal cargo space to 5K, make up the difference with say, 6 "Maxi-size" docking bays able to hold a 5K transport, and a number of smaller standard docking bays.

Give a Barge the ability to use a Type 2 or 3 Jump Drive - so they can jump themselves but no other. The bulk of the cargo is now carried internally on docked ships, and the jumping Barge is large, clunky, vulnerable to attack and almost impossible to defend - or to defend itself.
You can then distinguish the Military Jumpers from the Commercial Jumpers by only allowing ships of a certain powercore rating to be sucked along for the ride using a Type 4 Jump Drive. Everyone else has to dock internally on the Military caps.

The only problem is you can now solo jump trade, though not with much cargo. A great idea to give the barge a new use.