Discovery Gaming Community
Organizing the House/Faction Laws/Rules - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Discovery RP 24/7 General Discussions (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: Organizing the House/Faction Laws/Rules (/showthread.php?tid=8444)

Pages: 1 2

Organizing the House/Faction Laws/Rules - Xoria - 05-11-2008

It has continually frustrated me that you have to search in multiple places in order to find the "laws" for various House governments.
Do we need a pinned topic in the RP sub-forum providing links to all Faction laws? I think we do.
So, I think an "index" of sorts that links to all the appropriate threads of all the houses and factions from one central location would make finding these laws/rules/application threads much easier.
I will put this together, but it would help me out tremendously if all faction heads would provide me with links to their topics.

Links needed:
House/faction rules/laws/contraband lists/ship restrictions/etc
Application threads for licenses/capships/etc

Ideally links ought to take you to the information that you need in the first post of a thread, so if the info is in the official faction post or Press Release Thread instead (for instance), I suggest creating a new thread for it also and giving me the new link. Even if the post recedes down several pages over time, the link will still provide easy access to it.
One thread from each faction/house that lists all the laws/rules etc would be fantastic. If it is a long series of laws/rules, then provide a table of contents at the top of the thread.
Anyone other than faction heads can post the needed links also. The sooner I get those links, the sooner I can get this done.
Unless someone comes up with a better idea, I'll call the pinned thread : The Galactic Legal Codex.
And yes, I know about the Sirius Legal Codex, but that one does not contain links so much as it contains the laws/rules themselves, it isn't up to date, and it doesn't provide all the links. A post with the laws themselves would mean that it could go out of date as houses/factions change their rules, whereas links allow the factions to change their rules by editing their own posts and the index is still correct and functional.
So start sending me the links!

Organizing the House/Faction Laws/Rules - Xoria - 05-15-2008

Perhaps some of you can help me out with this concept?

Organizing the House/Faction Laws/Rules - tfmachad - 05-15-2008

Rather than having the various links for them, wouldn't it be better to have an stickied thread where all these laws were posted on? Anyway, if you go for the links. I'll help with Rheinland/RM's.

Organizing the House/Faction Laws/Rules - Eppy - 05-15-2008

I think a simpler idea might be in order, though you're correct, this is definitely a good idea and a necessary step. Why not simply have the leader of each faction make a post in the thread, like the Faction Status thread, wherein he or she details all that particular faction's laws? It would take a lot less organization, I think, and a lot less hunting for threads, when you can simply present all pertinent information in one post.

Organizing the House/Faction Laws/Rules - kingvaillant - 05-15-2008

make a pined topic, I will post all the info about liberty in it

Organizing the House/Faction Laws/Rules - Raekur - 05-15-2008

Suggestion,

Include a last updated entry for each faction post. This way people can glance and see if there is any new informaion and what faction updated their entry.

Organizing the House/Faction Laws/Rules - Guest - 05-15-2008

I believe we already have a place like that: The Sirius Legal Codex.
It only need to get 'pinned' and eventually reviewed/updated by factions as done Kusari some time ago with the Kusari Codex.
I had no problems with Carzor to update it with the link.

I also believe there is no need for faction rules if intended as internal regulations to be explained there.
Such informations can be easily obtained from factions status posts and/or recruitment threads, and the factions quick reference guide made by AC Merc (which btw needs a big update) comes handy for this purpose.

Organizing the House/Faction Laws/Rules - chovynz - 05-16-2008

As I understand it Fitzgerald is working on a General Guide
that might include the legal side of the factions.

Then theres always the Wiki pages as well (when they are done.)

But having some sort of consolidation of the legal stuff is a good idea i think.

Organizing the House/Faction Laws/Rules - Xoria - 05-17-2008

Here is what we have so far.

I suggest that each colony establish a forum account that is named according to each colony's respective government, and that the account be shared among the leadership of the ruling factions in that colony, so that the laws established by the various law enforcement factions can be consolidated. For instance, right now the LSF may establish certain laws, the SA other laws, and the LPI might confiscate all the donuts, but under the system I am proposing, all three are posted under one account named (for example) The Republic of Liberty ( or whatever is most applicable).

I think this may also help dispel the protests of those who claim that the legal factions are making the laws rather than the governments.

In other words, give the house governments an official voice that is distinguished from the factions that enforce its dictates.

This is in fact, much closer to the way societies actually work, and will also serve the practical purpose of making updating the house laws much easier because they are not under the private forum accounts of its leaders who may be inactive or busy elsewhere for periods of time when the posts need updating.

I think it might also be appropriate for the Outcasts and Corsairs to each have one submission if they so desire, since they are also de facto houses and the rest of the factions fall into one camp or the other.

Organizing the House/Faction Laws/Rules - kingvaillant - 05-17-2008

/signed,

I will try to create a Liberty faction forum account on my side