Discovery Gaming Community
kusari Battleship take 2 - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Developers Forum (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=183)
+---- Forum: Discovery Unofficial Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=389)
+----- Forum: Discovery Mod Content Submissions (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+----- Thread: kusari Battleship take 2 (/showthread.php?tid=8620)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

kusari Battleship take 2 - Jinx - 05-18-2008

made the new version of a kusari "light" battleship - this is the first impression. - its much closer to the destroyer design than the shoebox. since it would be supposed to be a "new" design, i thought a little more ornamental work wouldn t hurt much.

the huge sword at the front might be a giveaway - but its also a strong characteristic of such a ship... this class could be named "daikatana" ( its a two handed curved sword )

its not ready yet - there are details missing, like windows and hardpointcabins, armoured parts, pipes - and not to mention.... a texture. [Image: Battleshiptotalfront.jpg]

the idea behind that ship was to keep the "flowing" effect of the fighter classes. - the illustration of water and such. - so, there won t be spikes or wings - but only those 4 bands that flow fromt he front to the very back of the ship like flags. ( might add a kusari symbol to them )

this model would not be a carrier, but really rather a light battleship - or ... depending on how big it appears after texturing... a battlecruiser.

elements that are going to be added:
- the kusari symbol modelled into the hull ( it just looks nicer than only sticking a simple texture of it on the hull )
- a few pipes and details of cosmetical details for those that like to have a close look, nothing great - just a few things. ( no antennaes, kusari ships appear not to have those )
- a few more structures to support the ship - so it doesn t look like it breaks apart from the first little pebble that hits it.
- depending on the polycount.. either internal windows ( that looks better ) or just external windows ( less polygons ) - but not too many. the main habitational section is the "temple" like section on top of it.

kusari Battleship take 2 - Lunaphase - 05-18-2008

' Wrote:made the new version of a kusari "light" battleship - this is the first impression. - its much closer to the destroyer design than the shoebox. since it would be supposed to be a "new" design, i thought a little more ornamental work wouldn t hurt much.

the huge sword at the front might be a giveaway - but its also a strong characteristic of such a ship... this class could be named "daikatana" ( its a two handed curved sword )

its not ready yet - there are details missing, like windows and hardpointcabins, armoured parts, pipes - and not to mention.... a texture. [Image: Battleshiptotalfront.jpg]
who cares, it looks FREAKEN AWSOME

kusari Battleship take 2 - Jinx - 05-18-2008

[Image: Metaseq2008-05-1819-47-47-02.jpg]
updated collection of perspectives around the ship. - PMed igiss if he at least considers putting one more battleship into the mod. - depending on his answer, i ll either finish or scrap that design.

mostly all "modelled" details are added. - the rest can be done with textures. - but i won t do that untill i got a good to go.

kusari Battleship take 2 - AdamantineFist - 05-18-2008

:shok:IT HAS A SWORD IN IT!!!

I... think I'm in love...

I can't believe it has a sword!

Awesome as always, Jinx.

kusari Battleship take 2 - Exile - 05-18-2008

Jinx, pretty damn nice work. Looking forward to turning it into scrap metal :laugh:

kusari Battleship take 2 - beander2 - 05-18-2008

Jinx, I have no Kusari character at this point, and I have no desire to fly a capship. Let me say, though, that this is simply masterful work. The lines exude grace, which in my opinion makes a ship all the more intimidating. It is a thing of beauty.

kusari Battleship take 2 - Thexare - 05-18-2008

' Wrote:this class could be named "daikatana" ( its a two handed curved sword )

From Wikipedia:
Quote:Daikatana (usually given as the kanji 大刀) is a pseudo-Japanese term meaning "large sword". (In Japanese, 大刀 is actually read daitō, and is a less-used synonym for uchigatana. [1]) The reading mistake comes from the different ways Japanese Kanji can be read, depending on their combination or not in a word. It has been used in some (English-language) fictional works to represent a kind of large katana (perhaps better known as an ōtachi).

I'd recommend Nodachi or instead (link). In addition to being a more accurate term, it's not associated with an abyssmal failure of a video game.

kusari Battleship take 2 - Eppy - 05-18-2008

That, Jinx, is a downright brilliant concept and I wish I'd thought of it myself. Few issues, but there are some, such as:

(1) The sword. It's a good allusion to the general design, but having the actual hilt sticking out of the top is a really, really bad idea, I think. It's just too obvious.

(2) The general thickness of the ship. At the moment it looks to spindly to be a 'realistic' capital ship (as realistic as it gets in this game, anyways). Capital ships need to be solid, thick, and stout. It's got a lot of holes, and while the number of holes aren't a problem it isn't an efficient use of space and bad for the structural integrity, so basically, thicken things up a considerable bit, or even just add in some windows between the bow segments up front could solve the problem, at least visually.

(3) Detail suggestions. I think the segment atop the bow could use some of its own structures, and looking at the Kusari BS you can see areas where it has concavities in the hull and there are pipes sticking out and crisscrossing. Maybe we could try for some of those? Windows along the side of the bow segments, too, I think.

Conclusion: An excellent model, I think I've been outdone...

kusari Battleship take 2 - Panzer - 05-19-2008

O.o

Err, a new Protoss warship?

Just kidding, looks Kusari alright.

kusari Battleship take 2 - Eternal - 05-19-2008

I'll probly make a Kusari char soon...:P

Jinx , thats realy something you've done there.

Please , by all means work on something for the Order.I want to see an Order BS designed by you.