Discovery Gaming Community
discovery why don't ya - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: discovery why don't ya (/showthread.php?tid=87701)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

discovery why don't ya - abysswolf - 09-18-2012

DIsco dev team has enough people, enough resources and enough everything to have his own game entitled DISCOVERY in like... 8 months in UDK...

this was made by 4 guys in a month

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbZFknNEnHA

i think you can do eet... plus there is frameworks of UDK that already made half of the work for you so why don't ?

just don't forget the people with low end pc's and make a wide array of graphic options available so it is still runneable by most people...

discovery why don't ya - SnakThree - 09-18-2012

Nice to see a person who knows something related to UDK.

And yes. There is so much room for evolution if UDK would be used.

But I suppose people could wait for Robert's thingie before anything.

discovery why don't ya - Ichiru - 09-18-2012

If it doesn't have Linux support, I'm not interested. Also the models and files in discovery would all have to be ported over, as well as legal issues with vanilla content being bundled with Disco.

Nobody said new Discovery should be old.

discovery why don't ya - Blodo - 09-18-2012

Unfortunately UDK is not something that anyone would use for a mass multiplayer online game. The engine is brilliant, it has amazing graphics, amazing physics, is stable and has very good multiplayer support, just not mass multiplayer support. The limit is I think somewhere around 32 and 64 players when online.

Making a game of the scope that we want discovery to be is not as simple as a tower defence game. It also needs a lot of skilled programmers and artists, who we are a bit short on...

That said, the dev team is thinking about new engines, just not promising anything yet.

discovery why don't ya - massdriver - 09-18-2012

I should regret all of you: unreal engine has limitations over max client count and ingame object count per map, which is unacceptable for large-scale MMO. ofcourse if you have UDK's source code then count me in.

discovery why don't ya - Zynth - 09-18-2012

Legal issues pertaining to the entire Freelancer franchise will prolly stop that from happening.

Even if we have enough people and enough resources but we don't have a lawyer and we don't have the cash to purchase the franchise. And no, I am not suggesting we do that either.

Network code for UDK can be created to be fitting for bigger multiplayer.

That might be a hassle, but if there are games that achieved it, I believe it's possible.

There's no UDK source code to obtain. There is full UT3 engine to obtain.

Even with 64 players per server and joining few of those up to house different regions (maps) would do a trick for starters.

Another option is Unity3d, but I don't know possibilities with free version and the actual business model seems worse than UDK, not to count that Epic Games is way more serious than team behind Unity.

As for limited objects in map issue, can't one just use level streaming or even different maps?

discovery why don't ya - massdriver - 09-18-2012

' Wrote:Network code for UDK can be created to be fitting for bigger multiplayer.

That might be a hassle, but if there are games that achieved it, I believe it's possible.

There's no UDK source code to obtain. There is full UT3 engine to obtain.

Even with 64 players per server and joining few of those up to house different regions (maps) would do a trick for starters.

Another option is Unity3d, but I don't know possibilities with free version and the actual business model seems worse than UDK, not to count that Epic Games is way more serious than team behind Unity.

As for limited objects in map issue, can't one just use level streaming or even different maps?

"Network code for UDK can be created to be fitting for bigger multiplayer."
sure, but with source code on hands.

"There's no UDK source code to obtain. There is full UT3 engine to obtain."
like CryEngine to obtain, which is then much better 'cos it is supplied with source code.

"Even with 64 players per server and joining few of those up to house different regions (maps) would do a trick for starters."
then it wont be massive, just another team deathmatch.

"Unity3d"
it's a casual game engine, similar to unreal, as well as Gamebryo which was used to create Black Prophecy.

"As for limited objects in map issue, can't one just use level streaming or even different maps?"
heh, UDK doesnt support smooth transitions between different maps. also dynamic asteroid field generation is not possible like FL has.

discovery why don't ya - abysswolf - 09-19-2012

shortminded people STAHP first off about the freelancer models

1.- freelancer discovery has something like 3 or 4 times more models that vanilla one and those in vanilla one can be replaced

2.- programming in unrealscript is EASEEEH im right now taking courses of Java to learn how to use it but as i said there is frameworks already made for this kind of game

3.- if you give me 100 bucks i would model something like 500 ships for you

4.- UDK has enough objects per map for a freelancer like game hahahaha GEARS OF WAR WAS MADE ON IT xD and a lot of other games with much more objects per map than freelancer

5.- player limit is easly bypasseable if we got good programmers we really dont need more than 3 guys working on that there is already some MMORPG made on UDK that TREW AWAY THAT LIMIT

6.- im talking in an all new game not just a freelancer port an ALL NEW GAME CALLED "Discovery" a reboot for the concept it is doable we got enough people o.o