Discovery Gaming Community
when does ''posting as admin'' come into efect - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Rules & Requests (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Rules (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: when does ''posting as admin'' come into efect (/showthread.php?tid=87996)

when does ''posting as admin'' come into efect - aluuksne - 09-24-2012

ingame ive seen many players argue about server rules and if i see someone doing wrong (like using lol or smilies in local chat) id like to tell them not to do that
but how to tell them it without being sanctioned that im posing as admin

when does ''posting as admin'' come into efect - Dart - 09-24-2012

' Wrote:ingame ive seen many players argue about server rules and if i see someone doing wrong (like using lol or smilies in local chat) id like to tell them not to do that
but how to tell them it without being sanctioned that im posing as admin

PM them ingame,

use OOC chat (// in front of text)

so long as you dont threaten to do anything similar to reporting the folks on the forum, you should be ok.
helps to be polite too.

when does ''posting as admin'' come into efect - Zukeenee - 09-24-2012

What you can do:
  • Contact the rule-breaker privately and politely inform them that they're violating a rule.
  • Privately and politely ask the rule breaker to stop breaking rules.
  • Silently take screenshots and submit a violation report.
  • Or any combination of the above.
What you cannot do:
  • Get into a discussion or argument about rules in local or system chat (against rule 3.3).
  • Threaten to get the rule breaker in trouble for breaking a rule (against rule 3.4).
  • Tell people that you are an Admin (also against rule 3.4).

Example of the right way to handle things:
"//Excuse me, but by attacking me without any prior RP interaction, you're breaking rule 5.2. Please stop."

Example of the wrong way to handle things:
"You can't shoot with no RP, idiot! If you don't stop now, I'll get the Admins to ban you!"

In general, it's okay to ask someone to stop breaking the rules. If they continue to break a rule after you've asked them not to, I would suggest that you stop trying to speak to them and start gathering evidence for a rule violation report. Long discussions over who's breaking what rules don't usually turn out well. At that point, you might as well let the Admins handle the situation.

And finally, if you absolutely feel the need to inform people of their rule violations, make sure you understand the rules completely before you begin giving out advice on them.

when does ''posting as admin'' come into efect - Ursus - 09-24-2012

Rules define the game universe, and are outside it. Only talk about stuff that happens inside the universe. If you feel compelled to tell somebody that they are breaking a rule, use /pm to tell them. Do not talk about rules in local or system chat. See rule 3.3.

Also, do not tell them you are screening the rule violation or that you're going to report them, since both of those are implicit threats (why else would you be telling us that you're screening?). Do not argue with the player either, you will get sucked into their world and lose on experience. If you are convinced that they are violating a rule and its worth using your one-per-day report limit, take do it, otherwise just shut up and decide if you want to stay in that system.

Also, read and learn the rules. A lot of people complain about stuff that isnt actually any kind of rule violation. Nothing more irritating than somebody yelling about rules when they clearly have no idea what the rules actually are.