Discovery Gaming Community
Cloaks, Jumpdrives and Scanners? - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Discovery RP 24/7 General Discussions (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: Cloaks, Jumpdrives and Scanners? (/showthread.php?tid=88474)

Cloaks, Jumpdrives and Scanners? - Switchback - 10-07-2012

So, where did the new technology come from? They had to come from somewhere, but I can't figure out from where. It logically cant be coincidence that Every technology firm figured out the technology while the LSF Still actively denies existence of the nomads.

So who was it? Kusari? Order? Secret Lane Hacker tech that was put on the open market for more money?

Edit: So I have RP'ed the technology was released (Not sure if legally or illegally) onto the neural net, but I kinda would like some Dev feedback storyline related.

RE: Cloaks, Jumpdrives and Scanners? - Hone - 10-07-2012

(10-07-2012, 06:34 AM)Switchback Wrote: So, where did the new technology come from? They had to come from somewhere, but I can't figure out from where. It logically cant be coincidence that Every technology firm figured out the technology while the LSF Still actively denies existence of the nomads.

So who was it? Kusari? Order? Secret Lane Hacker tech that was put on the open market for more money?

Edit: So I have RP'ed the technology was released (Not sure if legally or illegally) onto the neural net, but I kinda would like some Dev feedback storyline related.

Actually theyve been around since starlancer.

RE: Cloaks, Jumpdrives and Scanners? - Switchback - 10-07-2012

(10-07-2012, 09:32 AM)Hone Wrote:
(10-07-2012, 06:34 AM)Switchback Wrote: So, where did the new technology come from? They had to come from somewhere, but I can't figure out from where. It logically cant be coincidence that Every technology firm figured out the technology while the LSF Still actively denies existence of the nomads.

Actually theyve been around since starlancer.

But there should be a reason as to why now are people putting billions of credits towards building such modules.

RE: Cloaks, Jumpdrives and Scanners? - Lucky Luke - 10-07-2012

One theory is that people went back to their ordinary lives after the end of the Vanilla campaign. In that campaign, the Order and Rheinland military had developed cloaks, and it would be safe to assume that Kusari navy had it also, since they were infiltrated by nommies. When the campaign ended, Trent and Juni were granted a full pardon, which probably means that Juni went back to LSF. Lord Hakkera was a Prefect in Kusari, and had strong ties to Blood Dragons. Colonel Kress met with Trent and Juni on Cali base in Tau 23, and the technology could have been brought back to Bretonia by ether Tobias, Quintane or Sinclair.

And later on when Order began coop with Corsairs, the tech was most likely shared to them aswell. This is just a theory, but if it happened that way, it would explain how it got so widespread at once.

RE: Cloaks, Jumpdrives and Scanners? - Redon - 10-08-2012

My personal opinion on the topic:

Optimally, everyone would by themselves consider the plausibility of their characters acquiring certain equipment, and understand that things like cloaks aren't supposed to be an average grocery store product, but secret, dangerous and highly protected projects by governments/militaries who have access to the technology from the research they do.

For example, at Bowex we build nothing but docking modules on our station King's Cross, since we have no inRP background or knowhow to base the development of hyperspace scanners, jumpdrives or even alien cloak technology on.

Sadly, many players don't care about such considerations and as a result you'll see countless unaffiliated pirates and freelancers flying around with their personal cloaks like you do today.

RE: Cloaks, Jumpdrives and Scanners? - Echo 7-7 - 10-08-2012

The rapid dissemination of Cloaking technology is extremely implausible, and the same for Jump Drives. At the very least, however, we can identify their sources.

Cloaking technology is either DK-Nomad (hybrid) or Nomad (pure) derivative, as demonstrated by the Cloak on the Osiris in the SP campaign and numerous Rheinland vessels. The path of technology would have travelled from Rheinland to Kusari, and Liberty may have recovered Cloak tech from Rheinland or the Order at the end of the Nomad war. More recently, the acquisition of part of the Munster laboratory (which was working on adapting Nomad tech) may have been a source for Liberty's Cloak tech. From Liberty, it would have then been given or traded to Bretonia, unless they captured it from either Rheinland or Kusari.

Jump Drives, on the other hand, are most plausibly described as recent evolutions in miniaturisation of the Drives fitted to the Sleeper Ships. However, due to the functional differences between said drives (Sleeper Ships used an "accelerator" whereas the new Drives are "displacers") it is also possible that it is completely new technology. Kishiro is said to have been attempting to build a working Jump Drive; if anyone would have sold the plans on the market first, it would have been them, and by now Ageira is catching up.

RE: Cloaks, Jumpdrives and Scanners? - aluuksne - 10-08-2012

go with usual scifi explenation and say it was deducted from ancient technology human or not

RE: Cloaks, Jumpdrives and Scanners? - Daedric - 10-12-2012

You're over thinking it.

RE: Cloaks, Jumpdrives and Scanners? - ai_ascendant - 10-12-2012

Technological progress..cell phones cost a fortune when they came out, now you throw away old ones.