Discovery Gaming Community
Faction limits? - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Discovery RP 24/7 General Discussions (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: Faction limits? (/showthread.php?tid=8874)

Pages: 1 2 3

Faction limits? - Heartless - 05-28-2008

So we have alot of new factions popping up, some official, some non-official. Well anyways, I was wondering; what if we made a list with all the factions in Freelancer, next to them a number of allowed player controlled factions for that one specific faction and then say if more can be made?
For example:

Outcasts - 3 limit - (list the 3 here, forgot their names)
Corsairs - 3 limit - TBH, Benitez, ______
The Order -1 limit - Bs|

etc, etc.

So I think if we have this up then people will see what they can and what they can, and what they can't do. It would save so much time and trouble...

Faction limits? - sovereign - 05-28-2008

I think that any faction that can contribute unique, good, and fun roleplay should be allowed to become official no matter how many others there are.

Of course, there aren't that many that can, but still... would you deny something the caliber of, say, the LPI or BLS because there already was a faction in that "slot"?

Faction limits? - Tenacity - 05-28-2008

honestly, i dont think there should be more than one official faction per game rep faction.

Reason being, you get a lot of problems where one group or the other wants control or says they're higher in rank, and people start arguing.

Look at the Black Squadron and the guys they're arguing with right now (OTF? something like that). The other faction claims to be equal or superior even, saying that "they dont have to follow the BS's rules" - when the black squadron was given control over minor and 100 by the ADMINS.

Now, BS has taken very well to this and basically labelled the other guys as rogue/nomad infested order ships, which are to be shot on sight by true order characters. The other side is probably having a hissyfit about their faction turning against them though.

Faction limits? - Magoo! - 05-28-2008

Well... The LPI are a matter of opinion, but I'm with Sovereign. I wouldn't limit that sort of thing. Unless in the case it was limited, we made very rare exceptions for an obscenely good story.

Faction limits? - Heartless - 05-28-2008

Well it just seems that in the end we'll have X amount of faction one and 6X of faction 2 and then it's just not "rationally right". For example, would it make sence if you had more Liberty pirate factions than you did Liberty itself? Liberty lawfulls should always be more than the pirates combined, right?

Faction limits? - sovereign - 05-28-2008

What about the BLS, 101st, and RoS? They all have distinct, well clarified roles, and a very clear command structure, yet are all Outcasts. All of them contribute good roleplay and fun times, I see no problems (rules they make non-withstanding, but if you have problems with that take it up with the RM first: they have a rule that says "INDIES NOT ALLOWED", how oppressive can "please tell us if you fly our ships" be?)

EDIT: That was at Tenacity, btw.

Faction limits? - BaconSoda - 05-28-2008

' Wrote:I think that any faction that can contribute unique, good, and fun roleplay should be allowed to become official no matter how many others there are.

Of course, there aren't that many that can, but still... would you deny something the caliber of, say, the LPI or BLS because there already was a faction in that "slot"?

I second this, but the faction has to be dedicated to the Roleplay of the server, and respect the faction of a specific NPC group at any given time as either their equals or superiors. This works very well, I mean, just look at the OPG/TBH/Benitez, they work together great, and respect each other as equals. Nothing wrong with that.

Faction limits? - Tenacity - 05-28-2008

' Wrote:What about the BLS, 101st, and RoS? They all have distinct, well clarified roles, and a very clear command structure, yet are all Outcasts. All of them contribute good roleplay and fun times, I see no problems (rules they make non-withstanding, but if you have problems with that take it up with the RM first: they have a rule that says "INDIES NOT ALLOWED", how oppressive can "please tell us if you fly our ships" be?)

EDIT: That was at Tenacity, btw.

if they're all unique factions, as smaller parts of a whole, it isnt a problem. The problem is when you try to define your player faction as the entire rep faction.

for example, LSF, since nothing better comes to mind. There is only one LSF player faction, and they have their own command structure and such. But when indy LSF come along, or when you get a few new players wanting to make an unofficial LSF faction - they have to answer to the current player LSF on everything they do, or they get declared rogues/vigilantes.

It's complicated, and you never know when two factions following the same group are going to have problems with one another.

Up to the other players anyways, I remain strictly independent of all player factions on all of my characters, though I'm more than willing to work with the officials when asked to.

Faction limits? - Dusty Lens - 05-28-2008

The XA was designed rather specifically with that in mind, a motivation that was rather reinforced by certain conversations with Praetyre. We didn't want to suggest in any way that we 'are' the Xenos so much as we're simply a squadron within them. We were comprised of two squadrons originally, but the leader of the other poofed about 13 seconds after we went official so now we're an alliance of... One. Though times may yet change, especially if we continue to grow.

Independents welcome!

Faction limits? - AdamantineFist - 05-28-2008

My personal view is that no one should start a second faction that performs an identical role to a pre-existing player faction, but we shouldn't limit the number of player factions. It all depends on what they are/do.