Discovery Gaming Community
Guns pulled from wreck OORP? - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Discovery RP 24/7 General Discussions (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: Guns pulled from wreck OORP? (/showthread.php?tid=8898)

Pages: 1 2

Guns pulled from wreck OORP? - CoyoteMcgee - 05-29-2008

Apparently, i was warned that i could be sanctioned because i mounted guns on my outcast ship that said they were used by corsairs.

I did not dock at any corsair base, I did not even take them from killed enemies. I found them on a wreck. It would be completely ridiculous to say i cannot use these weapons because it says corsairs usually use these types of guns.

If these guns are not eligible to be used, then no guns should be that do not "belong" and were manufactured by the faction they represent, including codename guns that were obviously not produced but found.

I can understand that going and purchasing a weapon from another faction or buying one that is used by the faction seeing how money would go and support said faction selling them as being OORP. however, if you find them on a wreck i dont see how this is OORP. even in real life situation, you wouldnt buy a gun from an enemy country to support them by giving them money, but i sure as heck would believe it if one found a gun and used it against that country who produced it, or even for self purposes... which corsairs didnt, it just says they usually use them.

Guns pulled from wreck OORP? - Ion - 05-29-2008

This discussion has come about quite a few times before.

general consensus is, regardless of how you got it, you shouldnt use the weapon of an enemy.

Tizonas, salamancas, krakens, all lootable, but that doesn't mean you can use them on a bounty hunter vessel.

same principle applies, unfortunately.

Guns pulled from wreck OORP? - Klaw117 - 05-29-2008

This should not be considered OoRP. Prototype codename weapons are free-for-all weapons, regardless of what ship they were originally found on. For all you know, that wrecked ship could have taken it from another wreck prior to its destruction!

EDIT: Oh wait, you meant the faction weapons? In that case, it is OoRP because using weapons of the enemy is...can't think of another word...unethical???

Guns pulled from wreck OORP? - Zapp - 05-29-2008

And this is in the wrong section... I'm sorry, no matter how you slice it, it's just wrong unless you've got a sterling RP story behind it, and even then it's fishy.

Guns pulled from wreck OORP? - kindred - 05-29-2008

' Wrote:This should not be considered OoRP. Prototype codename weapons are free-for-all weapons, regardless of what ship they were originally found on. For all you know, that wrecked ship could have taken it from another wreck prior to its destruction! Even if that faction had produced the prototype, once it becomes part of a wreck, that gun is free for anyone who wants it.

Wrecks drop more than just Code name weapons, they also drop faction specific weapons.
The faction specific weapons are what is in question here i believe, and no he should not
be using the faction specific weapons if they don't belong to the characters faction/allies.

Guns pulled from wreck OORP? - Marburg - 05-29-2008

This is a touchy issue. Personally I agree w/ your logic...sometimes however, logic has to take a backseat in order to keep the peace on the server & forums. If I saw 'sair guns on an outcast boat I woudn't scream oorp as a knee-jerk reaction. The number of people here that would though outnumber me by leaps & bounds.

I post this only to let you know that you are not alone in your thoughts.

Guns pulled from wreck OORP? - sovereign - 05-29-2008

If you can use looted guns, we would all see very much PvP oriented loadouts. In RP, your character has pride in his faction's weaponry: to him, they are superior to all else, even if you, the player, know otherwise.

Guns pulled from wreck OORP? - CoyoteMcgee - 05-29-2008

before i continue i would like to say im not arguing here nor attempting to use excuses to disobey said rules, but just to debate a disagreement. and i apologize to post this in the wrong area.

well stated opinions above do tally up pros and cons, i still have a disagreement. as stated as Role Play, even in real life there are situations where weapons are superior to others. Germany's weapons and Tanks in WW2 were superior to ours, and when we could use them, we did. To understand and learn from them but mostly to put up against their enemies. Its just at up most logic that one would use the weapon or tool right for the job. and Real Life is the biggest Role Play of them all.. you just are your character as you are in a game, and naturally within game we are human and i can guarantee the majority of a random group of people would use a weapon as long as it doesn't support the opposing faction.

Guns pulled from wreck OORP? - Korrd - 05-29-2008

There was a time when it was allowed to loot weapons like that.
The problem was, that everybody used that as an excuse to equip to win, completely disregarding RP. So, it was common to see a hessian-aligned eagle, with crakens, tizonas, codies, and all sort of OORP equipment. And that, on an RP server, cannot be allowed.
There was a reason for that, as on that time most factions had weak guns. Igiss added new weapons to all NPC factions, so players could make their characters' RP to fit their NPC faction without being in a disadvantage.

So now, a player has to use the weapons that the faction he is aligned with can use. You can use codenames, of course. But you can't mount OORP weapons on your ship. That way, RP is preserved.. on this RP server.

I understand your point of view. But if we allow people to use any kind of stuff again no matter what faction they are aligned with, you will soon see everybody flying the same ship, with the same guns and stuff. The current diversity and RP richness would be completely gone from the server.

So please. Don't use OORP equipment.

Guns pulled from wreck OORP? - Ironwatsas - 05-29-2008

Quote:If you can use looted guns, we would all see very much PvP oriented loadouts. In RP, your character has pride in his faction's weaponry: to him, they are superior to all else, even if you, the player, know otherwise

While that may be true, I can see a more practical issue with mechanical compatability. Because a faction's weapons are usually tailor made for the shiptypes said faction commonly uses, then adding weapons from a completely diffrent origin source would likely cause compatability issues with a ship's power couplings and fire control systems. While it would always be possible to mount outcast weapons on a corsair ship and vice versa, it would probably take a degree of modification of the weapon or the ship.

There's also the issue of replacement parts and maintnince. Where are you going to get the quantum tubes for your Tizona Del Cid mounted on your hessian fighter when it gets irradiated flying about Omega-11? Ask the corsairs nicely?

However, I'd see in cases where the potential benefits of a weapon outweigh the costs of fixing it up to work with your ship, Codename or Nomad weapons for example, or in situations where a class of weapons are specifically designed to be backwards compatable with a vase veriety of shiptypes, as in the case of civilian weapons, the modifications nessiscary would be worthwhile (though in the latter case, most civilian weapons are outclassed by their faction contemperaries).

Personally, I always tend to use weapons approrpiate to my ship unless I have access to codename weapons. This includes nomad weapons, as they are slow firing and a pain when you have to go through all the red tape to be able to use them without getting arrested.