Discovery Gaming Community
Auto-merge. Why? - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Rules & Requests (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Site & Forum Feedback (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Auto-merge. Why? (/showthread.php?tid=89550)

Auto-merge. Why? - aerelm - 11-03-2012

My question is rather simple:

Why exactly, do we have post auto-merge on a roleplaying board?

I'm working on a story right now, and I'd like to see each part of the story in a separate post, but guess what... It keeps merging my post with the last one cause (Obviously) no one else has posted in the thread after my last post. So what if I want to just write a story without having to wait an hour or something until the auto-merge decides to stop going on my nerves?

The old forums were up for as long as I've been here without having auto-merge and hell didn't break loose, so I don't see why should we really have this nuisance after the forum upgrade.

RE: Auto-merge. Why? - Prysin - 11-04-2012

Automerge is a function meant to stop "double posting" and to stop bumping from creating unneccessary many posts/pages within a thread, however it is DAMN annoying, and as such, should have an option to "disable automerge" when you post.

RE: Auto-merge. Why? - SummerMcLovin - 11-04-2012

Well the thing is that it only auto-merges within a short time (not sure exactly), since bumps will still create a new one if done a few hours after the last post.

RE: Auto-merge. Why? - Prysin - 11-04-2012

(11-04-2012, 10:49 PM)SummerMcLovin Wrote: Well the thing is that it only auto-merges within a short time (not sure exactly), since bumps will still create a new one if done a few hours after the last post.

it automerges if its within 10 hours minimum (cuz i waited 10 hours before trying to post part 1 of OC laws, didnt work, they got merged, so had to use my own account instead of CoD account)

RE: Auto-merge. Why? - fencore - 11-04-2012

The auto merge was set to 15 minutes weeks ago, although if one of the other forum admins has since changed it again, I haven't looked.

We enabled all the features of the board for our own amusement at your agitation.

RE: Auto-merge. Why? - SummerMcLovin - 11-04-2012

(11-04-2012, 11:55 PM)Gheis Wrote: We enabled all the features of the board for our own amusement at your agitation.

I thought as much, you Admins can never be trusted...

RE: Auto-merge. Why? - aerelm - 11-05-2012

It auto-merges for exactly 1 hour after each post. 10 - 15 minutes is reasonable, but 1 hour means I can't make more than 3 - 4 RP posts in the same thread per day (cause I'm not home/awake for the rest of the day). Now, I do understand the purpose of auto-merge, I've been using it on some other boards already, but Disco, being a roleplaying board where everyone are already used to separating different parts of their RP/Story in different posts, doesn't really need it if you ask me.

RE: Auto-merge. Why? - Stygian - 11-05-2012

Seems it did get changed back to 60 minutes somehow. I've set it back to 15.

RE: Auto-merge. Why? - aerelm - 11-07-2012

Thanks a bunch.