Discovery Gaming Community
Space Ship Crew as necessary equip for large ships. - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: Space Ship Crew as necessary equip for large ships. (/showthread.php?tid=92705)

Pages: 1 2 3

Space Ship Crew as necessary equip for large ships. - Lonely_Ghost - 01-18-2013

I noticed, that space ship crew is ignored by mostly players, who has ship bigger than fighter, actually. I think, it should not be in this way, and...to support Role Play, crew could be turned as necessary part of ship to launch.

So, the idea, is to make another special slot for ship's crew, on all ships bigger than freighter (which uses mooring fixture on planet) in internal senction. If this slot is empty, ship can't launch from station, and player see message: Can't launch without crew.

Ofcrs, there should be diffrent type of crew for every ship. Like, for Transports till 3000- small transport ship crew. From 3000-4200 Mediul transport ship crew, and 4200-5000 Large transport ship crew.
Small and Medium transport's crew could be sold on regular civilian bases, Large, on planets and shipjards. Unlawfulls can has only one type of crew- transport ship crew, but awailable only at one base per groupe. For example: OC- Malta, Cors-Crete, Hessians-Wolfsb, LR- Base in Cassini and so on...

Generaly, cap also should has same scheme- Liberty trained Gunship Crew.
Liberty trained Cruiser Crew, Liberty trained heavy capital ship Crew. (For BCs and BS-Drds-Cr) On naval bases for each faction.

As I belive, only equipment, which should be mounted- can be mandatory to launch ship, so seems that space crew should be also mounted then.
And when you kill NPC cap ship, better to loot some valuable remants of ship, not the crew.

BSs has hangars, with some fighters inside. After NPC BS died, player could loot some kind of fighter's remains, wich costs 1.5M, like how Fleet Admiral, or amount of SCC can be looted from BS.

So this my idea, open for discus. Any opinion welcome.

RE: Space Ship Crew as necessary equip for large ships. - Anaximander - 01-18-2013

i thought about this as well, and how it can open some interesting forms of gameplay; like when you push a forward campaign you would need to have supply lines in order to make sure you can keep on fighting another day / after 4 hours. it could limit re-engagers to some degree and also keep those factions that have caps that are supposed to stay "at home" in check by offering just a few selling points for crew - this would of course be circumvented easily; but stil it would limit it a bit.

however it would take a lot of work i could imagine (you would also have to balance selling points as well as ship's cargo capacity) and it might make gameplay less fluent and well "fun".

I think maybe the conclusion is: just use your imagination, it's magic.

RE: Space Ship Crew as necessary equip for large ships. - Jinx - 01-18-2013

easy question(s) in advance

what does it add to the game?

what does it add to players who choose to play roles of larger ships?

what does it take for not fulfilling these requirements?

such a feature should not be a chore and even an annoyance. it should be beneficial for those who choose to play those ships - ADD to their experience and gameplay.

for example:

- capital ships are balance vs. ships without these requirements ... but when they fulfil their EXTRA requirements - they become better ( like more energy efficient )

unless you want to think of it as a nerf - and they are only balanced vs. non-crew-requirement ships when they HAVE fulfilled the requirements - but at a disadvantage when they do not fulfil it.

if its just a commodity you have to have - or commit a violation to the rules - it is unnecessary.

edit: if you think its something lootable (reward for cap-killers) and blocks the launch if not present - it will most probably just move to the "autobuy" feature - and players won t care about it in terms of quality of RP - it ll just be a rather dumb low level moneysink.

RE: Space Ship Crew as necessary equip for large ships. - AshHill07 - 01-18-2013

Fantastic, something else I'll have to cram into my dreadnoughts already full cargo hold.

RE: Space Ship Crew as necessary equip for large ships. - Amon.Cire - 01-18-2013

Yeah, with cloaks and jump drives and armor, it's just not possible.

RE: Space Ship Crew as necessary equip for large ships. - Omicron - 01-18-2013

Why are you intending on keeping CREW inside CARGO HOLD?

RE: Space Ship Crew as necessary equip for large ships. - Hone - 01-18-2013

I dont think it's necessary, ships can be completely controlled by AI, without crew. And with game mechanics like only firing at one target at a time/firing one weapon group at a time, player ships fly like they have no crew anyway.

RE: Space Ship Crew as necessary equip for large ships. - VincentX - 01-18-2013

If it would modify ship handling depending on crew type/size 'equipped': yes, please.

RE: Space Ship Crew as necessary equip for large ships. - Ursus - 01-18-2013

there are lots of ways to use them, such as increased efficiency with repairs, stuff like that.

but if its noticeably better it becomes mandatory, and then it becomes an irritant

RE: Space Ship Crew as necessary equip for large ships. - jonfreelanc - 01-18-2013

I disagree a little bit about the ships you want to have it. I think transports and gunboats should be left out. the ships are small in Freelancer, freighters are little more than fighters themselves. while there is the argument that bigger transports would have to have a crew, that would mean freelancers would need crew on their bread and butter traders. don't agree with that.