Discovery Gaming Community
So I was playing quite a lot of other sci-fi games lately... - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: So I was playing quite a lot of other sci-fi games lately... (/showthread.php?tid=94839)

So I was playing quite a lot of other sci-fi games lately... - Omicron - 02-27-2013

Wanted to discuss viability of few weapon ideas I figured could be useful (or at least fun)

Player bases are now part of ingame reality, so are sieges of them. I wondered whether specific siege equipment would be implemented in form of special weapon granted to cruisers/battlecruisers/battleships. Myself was thinking of "bombs" or super-heavy capital torpedoes (may or not dumbfire). Insane ammounts of damage delivered by slow moving missile/projectile. I wont go into stats but speed of such would make it viable bombardment weapon against stations (and trolling AFK players). As I heard about game mechanics, less projectiles fired at once is more healthy for the server.

Second idea, spinal mounted beam weapon systems. I know that beams are not exactly domain of freelancer engine, I am more interested in forward firing capacity in general. There are very few capships capable of doing so. Forward cannons are quite rare in Sirius and perhaps could use some diversity: Asco's torpedo is nice unique touch.

Third, "point defence". During one of my derp tests of stuff available on disco, I noticed capmissiles are hittable and killable. Not very effective even with class 9 lasers or battleship solaris however it gave me another idea. Fast projectile low damage (enough to knock missile out) "railgun". I can see "abuse friendly" gun here if balanced wrong. Or simply give missiles bigger hitbox.

RE: So I was playing quite a lot of other sci-fi games lately... - Narcotic - 02-27-2013

Hm interesting ideas. Though for the third one, I'd rather make it a fast tracking missile (like CD) which deals low damage with advanced explosion range. Since guns with fast refire (Eco Chain guns, 16.67) may cause lag. (By the way, CD's can make missiles explode, too.)

RE: So I was playing quite a lot of other sci-fi games lately... - Blodo - 02-27-2013

For sieges: Sieges that last less than a few hours allow fly-by-night 3 am "sieging", where the defenders wake up and find their yesterday fully stocked base is no longer there. Such "feature" will make bases useless immediately. There's a reason why we aren't doing anything to make sieging easier.

When it comes to fwd guns each of these needs to be specifically balanced to each ship, requires new weapon entry, and for most ships probably also a remodel. It's a nice idea for future ships that are specifically modelled to have a fwd gun, but nothing that can be acted on immediately tbh. As to actual beam effect, it only works on either very short ranges or kills the server with projectile amount. We tried, it's a meh.

As to point defence... that's basically what flak is now, so do we need another? Any fast hitting projectile would be used to try and deshield fighters unless the damage was like 1hp... but then missile hp would need to go down which means any stupid cd would blow them up just as well - which is kind of lame also.

RE: So I was playing quite a lot of other sci-fi games lately... - Omicron - 02-27-2013

(02-27-2013, 10:49 PM)Blodo Wrote: For sieges: Sieges that last less than a few hours allow fly-by-night 3 am "sieging", where the defenders wake up and find their yesterday fully stocked base is no longer there. Such "feature" will make bases useless immediately. There's a reason why we aren't doing anything to make sieging easier.

High energy consumption to make it alternative and "server friendly" equivalent of let's say 3 cerberus turrets DPS is what I had in mind.

When it comes to fwd guns each of these needs to be specifically balanced to each ship, requires new weapon entry, and for most ships probably also a remodel. It's a nice idea for future ships that are specifically modelled to have a fwd gun, but nothing that can be acted on immediately tbh. As to actual beam effect, it only works on either very short ranges or kills the server with projectile amount. We tried, it's a meh.

Perfectly aware nothing can be done "immediately". Implementation of more interesting forward cannons in the future is ok. I also mentioned I am aware of what beams do with FL engine.

As to point defence... that's basically what flak is now, so do we need another? Any fast hitting projectile would be used to try and deshield fighters unless the damage was like 1hp... but then missile hp would need to go down which means any stupid cd would blow them up just as well - which is kind of lame also.

No shield damage, high energy consumption. Render it extremely inneficient (or ammo based?) to use it in any other purpose than shooting down such kind of targets.

RE: So I was playing quite a lot of other sci-fi games lately... - Zynth - 02-28-2013

I had the idea for "Unique" weapons for capital ship, I guess I'll park the idea under the concept of forward guns seeing as they -are- unique.

So instead of having -just- forward guns. Why not "special" guns?
For example, perhaps a Rheinland battleship can have a short ranged, but powerful plasma-based broadside array, mounted on those circular thingies on the side. A series of powerful short range guns that can only fire sideway.

Or a Bretonian battleship that has slots for "MOX Bombs" crafted out of necessity and the ample MOX provided by LD-14. A single forward mounted slow moving yet heavy hitting torpedo.

Something like the above that can add uniqueness to each capital ship. Having special touches from its host house's traits.

RE: So I was playing quite a lot of other sci-fi games lately... - Raymond_Ames_Spruance - 03-01-2013

(02-27-2013, 10:59 PM)Omicron Wrote:
(02-27-2013, 10:49 PM)Blodo Wrote: For sieges: Sieges that last less than a few hours allow fly-by-night 3 am "sieging", where the defenders wake up and find their yesterday fully stocked base is no longer there. Such "feature" will make bases useless immediately. There's a reason why we aren't doing anything to make sieging easier.

High energy consumption to make it alternative and "server friendly" equivalent of let's say 3 cerberus turrets DPS is what I had in mind.

Perfectly aware nothing can be done "immediately". Implementation of more interesting forward cannons in the future is ok. I also mentioned I am aware of what beams do with FL engine.

No shield damage, high energy consumption. Render it extremely inneficient (or ammo based?) to use it in any other purpose than shooting down such kind of targets.

Honestly I really do not want anything that would make a player base die really quick!

The only fun in pvp or base sieges would be to get a big group and have fun trying to kill each other which ain't that hard if you know what you're doing. All in all I would say no to Bigger BB guns those RH and nomad ships are beast enough as it is!