Discovery Gaming Community
DOS Attacks = Death for Wireless Users? - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Welcome (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=399)
+--- Forum: Help & Support (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: DOS Attacks = Death for Wireless Users? (/showthread.php?tid=95117)

DOS Attacks = Death for Wireless Users? - Matrix31 - 03-05-2013

For a while now I was puzzled by the very frequent lag I've been having on the Discovery server - the lag which disrupts my playing to the point where I am literally unable to play the game and barely manage to exit in frustration.

The mystery wouldn't be so complicated if it turned out that my Internet connection was the main cause for the problem. However, this is not the case. I am unable to play the game even when my internet runs smoothly. During that time, my in-game ping is ok, with 1-3% loss. When I see this 'loss', my stomach turns, because I know it will become unplayable in PvP and will only make me frustrated and mad.

Thus, the only real conclusion for this would be that my playing is greatly affected by the constant DOS attacks the server's been having. I don't know if any of you have had this problem and if you managed to solve it, but I'd be grateful if someone could help me with this. If it can be helped at all, that is.

I have wireless connection, the one that seems to be getting really hurt by the DOS attacks happening so frequently on our dear server.

RE: DOS Attacks = Death for Wireless Users? - Haste - 03-05-2013

Everyone gets hit pretty much equally hard by (D)DoS attacks, really. At their "peak", the server usually crashes or everyone lags to such an extent that the game is virtually unplayable.

However, I don't believe they're permanent. Lag is bearable / minimal during most of the day. It's usually in the evening (SMT) that the console starts telling everyone a bunch of pathetic little buggers is at it again, along with a crash or three happening.

If you're having it at all times, it's more likely to be your connection (or an unlucky node somewhere along the "path" to the server, as that can happen as well,) that is to blame.

RE: DOS Attacks = Death for Wireless Users? - AeternusDoleo - 03-06-2013

... gaming on wireless is a bad idea to begin with, but still. If you feel your own connection is at fault, put some connection monitoring software on your system. If you're seeing a lot of retransmissions, then your signal is probably weak (which for UDP based games like Freelancer can be a big problem). Aligning the antenna on the wireless access point, moving the access point, or better yet, creating a wired connection is your best bet in that case.

RE: DOS Attacks = Death for Wireless Users? - Zahas - 03-08-2013

you won't belive me here but yestarday i found out my router only works on the frecquency B and i had no lag :/
But yeah, aet is right... don't play on a wi-fi ... now i know why i had so much lag in wow and any other games

RE: DOS Attacks = Death for Wireless Users? - Zen_Mechanics - 03-09-2013

DOS attacks are so the 90's, any hosting company that respect itself will already have a filter to tackle these attacks.
Anyway, if the server loads.. wi-fi users will be the first to get kicked.