Discovery Gaming Community
Boarding Cap Ships mid battle - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Discovery RP 24/7 General Discussions (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: Boarding Cap Ships mid battle (/showthread.php?tid=95462)

Boarding Cap Ships mid battle - Lythrilux - 03-12-2013

Just a small idea based on the boarding mechanic from 'Infinite Space'.
Basically, during fights a (e.g) carrier can line up against another cap ship and the carrier can deploy Marines into that other ship. Penultimately, winning a boarding flight can lead to the destruction of another players ship, via destruction of internal systems. Think Star Wars Battlefront 2 style space battles.

Breakdown:
*Done via something like FL hook
*A ship with a docking module lines up against a cap ship
*Player in said docking module ship uses a command e.g /board
*Said ship has Marines in their cargo hold, these marines board the other ship
*The more marines the carrier can fill in the enemy ship, the more likely a takeover can ensure
*Once the enemy ship is filled with Marines, takeover begins.
*Marines begin to disrupt enemy ship technology until the enemy ship has no equipment
*Enemy ship desperately tries to hobble away.
*Dices are rolled to determine outcomes of takeover

To make this work, we'd need house based Marine cargo, so:
Libertonian Marines
Rheinland Marines
Bretonian Marines
Kusarian Marines
Gallic Marines

And then same could be done for unlawful ships.

This would turn Marines into something useful beyond a commodity. It's dumb that in their description it talks about how they board ships, yet we never see any of that.
It'd turn docking modules into useful weapons, rather than being quick dock ports for ships.
It would make some ships think twice about leaving their cargo hold empty.

...Aaaannd perhaps Marines can be trained? :3
It'd introduce some nice RPG mechanics into Disco.

I'm sorry if my idea isn't told very well, I'm rushing this because time is sparse.
Though, if you don't understand anything, I'll clarify it.

>Discuss

RE: Boarding Cap Ships mid battle - Alley - 03-12-2013

I don't think it would be difficult for Cannon to implement this, POBs and the Cloak system already have similar logics (cargo/consumption related). An easy way would be that it triggers a dice that results into a smite or not depending on the result.

The last step is tears containment, and that's hard.

RE: Boarding Cap Ships mid battle - Mr.Fabulous - 03-12-2013

Honestly, it's interesting. But tricky to balance out right. How're you supposedly gonna regulate:

1.) a boarding ship trying to board any ship, even fighters? That are still healthy and moving about like mosquitos?
2.) the affected ship retaliating? (firing its mortars at the boarding ship, huhuh) can/should it be able to retaliate?
3.) if the affected ship has NO marines (hypothetically), and boarding ship just has ONE marine?
4.) rules-wise (it entirely circumvents the 50%-shield-rule-engagement, creating little warning for the affected ship to be trolled by boarding ship, and creating Q_Q and rules-lawyers and ushering a new banhammer Ragnarok)
5.) suppose boarding ship A kills boarding ship B and harvests tractors in marines. do said marines still work for boarding ship B? Even those that are -not- of same faction to boarding ship B? what if pirates tractor in house marines, and vice-versa?

these are the ones I can think of at the top of my head. I may have missed a few. just putting them here so that the idea is sieved.

RE: Boarding Cap Ships mid battle - Haste - 03-13-2013

This does seem like something you could roleplay just fine without any extra mechanics. Leave an enemy capital with a sliver of hull. Line up a ship carrying marines and roleplay with the other guy that you're boarding them, capturing the crew and taking over the ship.

'course, that requires both parties to agree.

RE: Boarding Cap Ships mid battle - Zen_Mechanics - 03-13-2013

InRP it could work but if you plan to take the ship then its not like he will give you the codes.
Highly unreasonable.

RE: Boarding Cap Ships mid battle - Crackpunch - 03-13-2013

Because people want to lose fights due to dice rolls?

(03-13-2013, 12:59 PM)Tel-Aviv Wrote: InRP it could work but if you plan to take the ship then its not like he will give you the codes.
Highly unreasonable.

The key word is roleplay here.

If both parties agree to take it as far as actually handing over the ship (which is highly unlikely, as it'd still be <whatever opposing faction> ID'd and repped and all that), then so be it. However, you could simply roleplay an arrest or something.

RE: Boarding Cap Ships mid battle - Lythrilux - 03-13-2013

(03-12-2013, 11:20 PM)leonardo_tigre Wrote: Honestly, it's interesting. But tricky to balance out right. How're you supposedly gonna regulate:

1.) a boarding ship trying to board any ship, even fighters? That are still healthy and moving about like mosquitos?
2.) the affected ship retaliating? (firing its mortars at the boarding ship, huhuh) can/should it be able to retaliate?
3.) if the affected ship has NO marines (hypothetically), and boarding ship just has ONE marine?
4.) rules-wise (it entirely circumvents the 50%-shield-rule-engagement, creating little warning for the affected ship to be trolled by boarding ship, and creating Q_Q and rules-lawyers and ushering a new banhammer Ragnarok)
5.) suppose boarding ship A kills boarding ship B and harvests tractors in marines. do said marines still work for boarding ship B? Even those that are -not- of same faction to boarding ship B? what if pirates tractor in house marines, and vice-versa?

these are the ones I can think of at the top of my head. I may have missed a few. just putting them here so that the idea is sieved.

1) Like I said, only cap ships. The way I view it I am leaning towards ships with docking modules (Or the possibility to equip them)

2) I'm not really sure how this would work. On one hand we can have it so that both ships can't attack during boarding or being boarded. Or, we can have it so that both ships can shoot each other.

3) To prevent this, it'd have to work in a way where a certain amount of Marines need to fill the cargo space. E.g half of that ships maximum cargo space.

4) I think this would just have to be dealt with like engaging without a reason. Naturally, you wouldn't leave yourself open to being boarded anyway.

5) Sorry for not being able to understand this, could you break it down a bit more please?

Shields down -> Ship can be boarded. Shields up -> They prevent boarding.

Pretty intuitive and.. It makes sense.

Still don't think the idea is all that "necessary", though Big Grin

RE: Boarding Cap Ships mid battle - Lythrilux - 03-13-2013

(03-13-2013, 07:36 PM)Hasteric Wrote: Shields down -> Ship can be boarded. Shields up -> They prevent boarding.
Pretty intuitive and.. It makes sense.

Oh snap, why didn't I think of that.
That's a really good suggestion.