Discovery Gaming Community
Removing MK I ships as a species. - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: Removing MK I ships as a species. (/showthread.php?tid=95804)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Removing MK I ships as a species. - sindroms - 03-21-2013

With how fast new players advance when it comes to income, especially if they are introduced to the Restart Rhino early on, it makes me wonder why do we still keep the MK I ships such as the Dagger, Mule, Defender, Patriot and such. While the obvious reason for this is that the NPCs would have to be fully remade and new levels made in order to have Liberators and Hyenas in Level 1 missions, I still do not think that it is a valid argument. It would be a bit tedious to fix, true, but by doing so we could free up some space for some new ships. And by that I mean the sellpoints. Otherwise when it comes to some ships like the Grizzly, for example, you have to sneak around guard systems. Might as well plonk it somewhere more notable.

Thoughts?

RE: Removing MK I ships as a species. - Omicron - 03-21-2013

Devs commented on this in lines of "Players will Q.Q if we remove their favourite vanillia fighters" even if them having mk2 equivalent with the same model.

RE: Removing MK I ships as a species. - AeternusDoleo - 03-21-2013

They are already going to be removed from 4.87. They'll remain available as templates, but no NPCs will use them (unless their stats are beefed to be as effective as the MK2 variants, such as the Sabre and Titan) and they'll not be for sale anywhere.

RE: Removing MK I ships as a species. - sindroms - 03-21-2013

Aeternus, can I suggest keeping a Starflyer on the Barrier gate for ship liquidizing purposes?

RE: Removing MK I ships as a species. - Toaster - 03-21-2013

Do Mk I ships include all of the old ships (Rhino, etc) or only those that have a beefed version (Defender, Patriot, etc)?

RE: Removing MK I ships as a species. - jammi - 03-21-2013

Only those that have a more powerful model clone. So ships like the Rhino and Humpback are safe.

RE: Removing MK I ships as a species. - AeternusDoleo - 03-21-2013

Spazzy: The Startracker will remain available at a number of locations. Not barrier gate though, need those salepoints for other ships Freelancers may want to grab. BW gunboat and the likes.

Toaster: Any ship that has an MK2 version, or full replacement, will have their original removed. So ships like the Patriot and Defender will be disappearing. Rhino I'm not certain about yet - will prolly try and get Blodo to beef it up a bit, to a lighter freighter. It only affects some vanilla fighters and freighters as a result.

RE: Removing MK I ships as a species. - Xenosaga - 03-21-2013

I've said it numerous times and received Flak for it, but my opinion remains unchanged:

MK II fighters should receive a different model, MK I fighters can stay as they are now.
They don't even need to be drastically changed, add an additional fin, wing or engine or so. Their general texture can be retained too. As an example, this is the upgraded Crusader of the pretty old Evolutions mod: http://the-starport.net/uploads/extgallery/public-photo/medium/paladin_438_8ddda.jpg
(Disclaimer: Not made by me)

I always saw the MK II ships reusing MK I models as some kind of very cheap makeshift solution until proper models get made. But they stayed ever since I played Disco for the first time.

Them having the same model just makes no sense RP-wise either. You cannot boost hull strength, power output, let alone agility by exclusively upgrading interior components. Yes, there are military aircraft that get updated and look pretty similiar to the base version, but 1. they do not look exactly the same and 2. they do not receive upgrades that improve their durability and firepower fivefold like on Disco.

RE: Removing MK I ships as a species. - AeternusDoleo - 03-22-2013

Yet you can do so by using higher strength materials, more technically advanced reactors and power transfer systems (which are more expensive). There is no real reason why a ship as big as a Sabre wouldn't have the same endurance as one. Replacing the ships with completely new models might be done at some point, but frankly, we don't have the modellers for that kind of ship replacement project at this point - and the vanilla ships work fine.

RE: Removing MK I ships as a species. - Sava - 03-24-2013

I would be happy without mk1/mk2 shit, but i prefer original ship names (i.e. Dagger instead of Scimitar, Crusader instead of Templar etc) and infocards.