Discovery Gaming Community
Playing X-COM on Iron Man and Impossible - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Real Life Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=16)
+--- Thread: Playing X-COM on Iron Man and Impossible (/showthread.php?tid=96303)

Playing X-COM on Iron Man and Impossible - Crackpunch - 03-31-2013

I can't beat the first mission.

On normal difficulty I beat the game with only losing 5 guys.

Any gotten through it?

RE: Playing X-COM on Iron Man and Impossible - Jack_Henderson - 03-31-2013

Normal is possible.
Impossible... is just too damn annoying. Sectoids do not die to grenades in the first missions. And squadwipes mean you restart.

I do not play the vanilla version any more. Too annoying and too predictable. The mods for the game actually rock... and feel more like the very first X-Com Enemy Unknown. Better research, better balancing and you can get wiped out and still bounce back.

Good luck.

RE: Playing X-COM on Iron Man and Impossible - Challenger - 03-31-2013

(03-31-2013, 11:51 AM)Crackpunch Wrote: I can't beat the first mission.

On normal difficulty I beat the game with only losing 5 guys.

Any gotten through it?

Only thing I can think of is spamming overwatch from full cover and inching forward through the map as slowly as possible.

I've never managed to beat mission one on impossible either, though.

RE: Playing X-COM on Iron Man and Impossible - Crackpunch - 03-31-2013

It would be cool if I could take my squad of psychic colonels from my last game into impossible mode. Then I'd have a proper fight.

Edit: Beat three missions, lost 4 guys on impossible.

RE: Playing X-COM on Iron Man and Impossible - (ツ) - 04-01-2013

(03-31-2013, 11:05 PM)Crackpunch Wrote: It would be cool if I could take my squad of psychic colonels from my last game into impossible mode. Then I'd have a proper fight.

Edit: Beat three missions, lost 4 guys on impossible.

Whoa, we DO have people here, who like a challenge eh? Still, if you play vanilla that particular mode is still not as difficult as the good old Terror from the Deep on highest lvl without savegame grind. Don't torture yourself unneccessarily. Try warspace extension mod and some Second Wave options enabled. It makes the game tougher by adding some tactical variety, not cheating AI.

RE: Playing X-COM on Iron Man and Impossible - Crackpunch - 04-01-2013

I'm also using hidden potential and absolutely critical (I think that's what it's called).

RE: Playing X-COM on Iron Man and Impossible - 11of10 - 04-01-2013

What mods are you guys using? I found the game too well... not exactly IT, compared to old UFO, especially when you consider that I still play it occasionally Wink

RE: Playing X-COM on Iron Man and Impossible - Jack_Henderson - 04-01-2013

I use Warspace Extension. More realistic research. Slower progression. Many more Ufo sightings. A lot of downed interceptors and a lot of lost soldiers.... while you can still bounce back and sometimes even retreat from maps and accept the outcome without losing 8 counties in one month.