Discovery Gaming Community
Bring Back Old Emotes - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Rules & Requests (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Site & Forum Feedback (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Bring Back Old Emotes (/showthread.php?tid=96533)

Pages: 1 2

Bring Back Old Emotes - SMGSterlin - 04-05-2013

I think everyone agrees, the new emotes we have now suck, and the old ones we used to have on the other forum were much better.

I don't know if there's a copyright on the old emotes or not, and if using them on our new forums would get us into legal trouble, but if not, I say we do it.

RE: Bring Back Old Emotes - fencore - 04-05-2013

Go find them. If you find them, one of us might add them if we can be arsed to.

Also, I'd like to meet this "everyone" who you say doesn't like the new emotes. I'll give him a piece of my mind.

RE: Bring Back Old Emotes - kikatsu - 04-05-2013

I am pretty sure they came with the new forum layout. But you can always link pictures of them in.

RE: Bring Back Old Emotes - n00bl3t - 04-05-2013

I do miss the old emotes.

I know I am slightly older, but my eyes have trouble working out what exactly the new ones are meaning.

RE: Bring Back Old Emotes - Error - 04-05-2013

I suggested them to Cannon half a year ago when we changed to the new layout, as it was one of the few proper and free smiley packs that I could find online which worked well on a dark background back then, and which had as many smileys as possible which would work as direct replacements for our old ones. That's an important consideration if you don't want to break thousands of old posts in the process.

The old ones would have looked terrible on this new layout thanks to the original designer not intending them for use on black backgrounds: They all weren't properly transparent, with white borders and pixels here and there which aren't easy to remove without quite a lot of work.

Have a look at the post icon selector if you want to know what I'm talking about.

EDIT: I did also like the old ones better than our new ones, though. They are indeed a bit on the small side.

EDIT2: I'm pretty sure I could go dig up the old ones if you want to have a look for yourself, I suppose.

RE: Bring Back Old Emotes - SMGSterlin - 04-05-2013

(04-05-2013, 07:48 AM)Error Wrote: I suggested them to Cannon half a year ago when we changed to the new layout, as it was one of the few proper and free smiley packs that I could find online which worked well on a dark background back then, and which had as many smileys as possible which would work as direct replacements for our old ones. That's an important consideration if you don't want to break thousands of old posts in the process.

The old ones would have looked terrible on this new layout thanks to the original designer not intending them for use on black backgrounds: They all weren't properly transparent, with white borders and pixels here and there which aren't easy to remove without quite a lot of work.

Have a look at the post icon selector if you want to know what I'm talking about.

EDIT: I did also like the old ones better than our new ones, though. They are indeed a bit on the small side.

EDIT2: I'm pretty sure I could go dig up the old ones if you want to have a look for yourself, I suppose.
I seem to remember the old Blue Solution skin being pretty dark (which I never used, Deep Blue forevah), but no one ever complained about how the emotes looked then. Granted, it wasn't as dark as this one.

But yeah, I would appreciate if you could post a few of the old emotes here, just to give us an idea what they would look like. There might be a few random white pixels here and there, but at least you'll be able to see what the face is. xD

RE: Bring Back Old Emotes - Narcotic - 04-05-2013

I'd be for having the old skype smileys as option aswell.

RE: Bring Back Old Emotes - Error - 04-05-2013

(04-05-2013, 07:53 AM)SMGSterlin Wrote: I seem to remember the old Blue Solution skin being pretty dark (which I never used, Deep Blue forevah), but no one ever complained about how the emotes looked then. Granted, it wasn't as dark as this one.

But yeah, I would appreciate if you could post a few of the old emotes here, just to give us an idea what they would look like. There might be a few random white pixels here and there, but at least you'll be able to see what the face is. xD
The MyBB ones that I was talking about:
[Image: angel.gif] [Image: angry.gif] [Image: arrow.gif] [Image: at.gif] [Image: biggrin.gif] [Image: blank.gif] [Image: blush.gif] [Image: confused.gif] [Image: cool.gif] [Image: dodgy.gif] [Image: exclamation.gif] [Image: heart.gif] [Image: huh.gif] [Image: lightbulb.gif] [Image: my.gif] [Image: rolleyes.gif] [Image: sad.gif] [Image: shy.gif] [Image: sleepy.gif] [Image: smile.gif] [Image: tongue.gif] [Image: undecided.gif] [Image: wink.gif]

Current pack:
[Image: angel.png] [Image: angry.png] [Image: aww.png] [Image: blushing.png] [Image: confused.png] [Image: cool.png] [Image: creepy.png] [Image: crying.png] [Image: cthulhu.png] [Image: cute.png] [Image: cute_winking.png] [Image: devil.png] [Image: frowning.png] [Image: gasping.png] [Image: greedy.png] [Image: grinning.png] [Image: happy.png] [Image: happy_smiling.png] [Image: heart.png] [Image: irritated.png] [Image: irritated_2.png] [Image: kissing.png] [Image: laughing.png] [Image: lips_sealed.png] [Image: madness.png] [Image: malicious.png] [Image: naww.png] [Image: pouting.png] [Image: shy.png] [Image: sick.png] [Image: smiling.png] [Image: speechless.png] [Image: spiteful.png] [Image: stupid.png] [Image: surprised.png] [Image: surprised_2.png] [Image: terrified.png] [Image: thumbs_down.png] [Image: thumbs_up.png] [Image: tired.png] [Image: tongue_out.png] [Image: tongue_out_laughing.png] [Image: tongue_out_left.png] [Image: tongue_out_up.png] [Image: tongue_out_up_left.png] [Image: unsure.png] [Image: unsure_2.png] [Image: winking.png] [Image: winking_grinning.png] [Image: winking_tongue_out.png]

A few from IPB:
[Image: biggrin.gif] [Image: happy.gif] [Image: laugh.gif] [Image: lol.gif] [Image: mellow.gif] [Image: nyam.gif] [Image: oldtimer.gif] [Image: rolleyes.gif] [Image: shok.gif] [Image: smile.gif] [Image: smile2.gif] [Image: tongue.gif] [Image: wink.gif] [Image: yahoo.gif] [Image: ylove.gif]

I don't think that all of the smileys in the current pack are available on the forums without linking them in. I made a suggested list of keywords for the MyBB smiley manager which included as many replacements as possible for the old ones, but that's probably been modified since then.

The old IPB ones would indeed have worked fine, but as you mentioned, I'm not sure about what type of license those have. I didn't even consider reusing them at the time, I was mainly looking for a replacement for the default MyBB smilies.

RE: Bring Back Old Emotes - SummerMcLovin - 04-05-2013

(04-05-2013, 12:01 PM)Narcotic Wrote: I'd be for having the old skype smileys as option aswell.
Alley found a little plug-in to get it working, if you know where to look [Image: emoticon-00174-bandit.gif]

RE: Bring Back Old Emotes - Fletcher - 04-05-2013

More choice would be nice, I find looking at the current emotes rather difficult.