Discovery Gaming Community
A short survey - How did you find Discovery? - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Welcome (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=399)
+--- Forum: Introduce Yourself (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=15)
+--- Thread: A short survey - How did you find Discovery? (/showthread.php?tid=97650)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

RE: A short survey - How did you find Discovery? - Ash - 04-27-2013

I'm just bumping this thread to make it visible for this evenings peak time. The larger the catchment the better.

Ash

RE: A short survey - How did you find Discovery? - Mao - 04-27-2013

After finishing the original game I wanted to continue the story but playing the game became boring. I started looking for servers in order to play it online and I think this lead me to youtube where I saw a clip where someone was flying capital ships. Then I started searching for mods for FL and found MODDB and this is where I first read about "Discovery".

That was happening almost 5 years ago but I think I remember the right order of events.

RE: A short survey - How did you find Discovery? - Jack_Henderson - 04-27-2013

A friend told me he found some old game and he showed me. We played together and he left a few weeks later. I was doomed from minute one.

RE: A short survey - Participation is appreciated - Govedo13 - 04-27-2013

(04-25-2013, 09:17 PM)Narcotic Wrote: Played the vanilla campaign and wondered if there were any good mods with active servers - and this was the one with the most players.

Me too but first I found out Hamburg City played there couple of weeks to find it boring and then switched to discovery. It was the time when the server went down at the end of 4.84 and the 4.85 beta started.

RE: A short survey - How did you find Discovery? - Skates - 04-27-2013

I've spent years playing RP servers for GTA : SA. Specifically servers such as PR-RP and LS-RP. These are incredibly strict servers which enforce the rules rather harshly, anyway. I was getting rather bored of realistic RP and felt like a real change. I pulled out my copy of Freelancer from a dusty box marked "GAMES" and installed it. I played it for a while and got a little bored. I went to check up on a mod for S.T.A.L.K.E.R : Call of Pripyat and a mod for Freelancer caught my eye. This mod was called "Discovery 4.86". I quickly went on YouTube and watched a few videos before coming across one called "Discovery RP 24/7". I INSTANTLY downloaded and installed this mod whilst I read all of the lore and such.

RE: A short survey - Participation is appreciated - SummerMcLovin - 04-28-2013

Well I've played Freelancer for about a decade now (since my dad had beta-tested it) but only found the mod properly about a year ago when I was looking for extra lore after one of my many play-throughs. I later realised when I recognised Igiss' dragon avatar that I'd found it a year or two earlier and read about the Gallia lore. So I could very well have been here a couple of years ago, how things might have been changed.

(04-26-2013, 06:28 AM)Hone Wrote: if that mod had worked, you might all have suffered being deprived of my glorious presence!
Yes, imagine that Tongue

(04-27-2013, 09:26 PM)Jack_Henderson Wrote: I was doomed from minute one.
You have since reduced your lolwuttishness (a little bit).

RE: A short survey - How did you find Discovery? - indy.miner1 - 04-28-2013

my brother in law gave me the game years back but i hardly played up until 3 years ago,

i did the single player and then felt a bit dumped when juni said "get a job"
so i looked about for servers found hamburg city tried that for a week got bored, found disco, flew about leeds, saw 10 shires outside leeds the [convoy] group, joined them

RE: A short survey - How did you find Discovery? - Zen_Mechanics - 04-28-2013

Moddb was the first time, although found mod via google.

RE: A short survey - How did you find Discovery? - Luke. - 04-28-2013

I missed playing FL so i re-installed. Didn't want to play vanilla so I searched for mods and voila! Born was my interest in Discovery.

RE: A short survey - How did you find Discovery? - Ash - 04-29-2013

First day: +60 participants
Second Day: +20 participants
Third Day: +10 participants

I think we may have nearly covered all we can with active users and new players in general. It will decline to a point where we'l be seeing no more than +2 participants a day so I'm going to open up this survey for discussion. Please keep your conclusions and suggestions concise and centralised around the data we have obtained here. I will be posting my own thoughts in the next 24 hours or so should there be any major fluctuations in the results in that time.

I'd like to thank all those people who participated for their time, it will be interesting to analyse the data.